LUNAR DS: New sketch, new perspective!

For people with stuff to show off. Artwork, music you've composed, websites you've designed, etc. Put it here.
Nobiyuki77
Legendary Hero
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

LUNAR DS: New sketch, new perspective!

Post by Nobiyuki77 »

Ok guys, I took the comments and worked with them, and I was having trouble getting them all to work in the perspective the drawing was in, so I decided to change the perspective. Here's the new sketch.

Thoughts?
-Nobi

Angelalex242
Legendary Hero

Post by Angelalex242 »

It's...not as pleasing to the eye as the last sketch.

Losing Jian's face sort of nulls it a little, cause you can't see how he takes to being nagged and yelled at.
Don't blame me, Lucia promised me lots of snuggles and cuddles if I would be her PR guy.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Well, to your eye. Don't want to go stating opinions as fact now. :P

I like seeing a different perspective. It's interesting to see something that isn't laid out like a comic, and allows for a lot of attention to detail.

Two concerns come to mind. One is that is that the pattern on the ground looks raised, making Jian's hand look a bit odd -- it'd hurt to be resting a hand on that, especially just the fingers while the heel of the hand is off of it. The other is that Lucia's scarf or whatever I think extends down at a sharper angle. I'm also wondering if her hands are just a little out of proportion to her body, not sure.

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

I like it, but I seriously like the other sketch better. Hopefully you didn't kill the last one... if not then perhapes you can just go ahead and color it, then color this one, and release them both side by side :)

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Alunissage wrote:Well, to your eye. Don't want to go stating opinions as fact now. :P

Though stating "IMO" after everything is kind of redundant. Since, if it's your opinion, of course you're going to be the one saying it. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Yeah, I was mostly joking, or what passes for jocularity in my limited range of humor. Still, phrases like "to the eye" imply that one believes one is speaking for people in general rather than of one's own beliefs. I can see using the phrase in less subjective matters, certainly, but stating whether something is more pleasing than something else doesn't really go with that.

Jyd3n
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Jyd3n »

Looks good to me but I prefer your first work that you posted of Jian and Lucia, the expression on his face is quite entertaining.

Nobiyuki77
Legendary Hero

Compromise

Post by Nobiyuki77 »

I do appreciate the comments, but it did put me in quite a pickle. See, I lvoe the new perspective, and I showed it to my friends from art school before posting it here, and they all loved the 2nd MUCH better than the first one. So I went and posted it, and you guys missed the expressions from the previous perspective.

Realistically, with the other projects I wish to do, I can't find the time to do two versions, especially since I'll be working 2 jobs during the holidays, so I decided a compromise was in order.

This is what I came with as a compromise, and I'm going to use this as my final version, and I hope you guys aren't mad at me, it's just I dont' have the time to do 2, and I REALLY like the 2nd one, but I don't want to shaft you guys and say "well screw you I don't care about your opinions" 'cause I do! I hope you guys like it...

-Nobi

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Hehe, that's cute. Reminds me of character portraits. I think that's a good solution, since it also fills in that whitespace above Lucia's head.

I still advise you make the curves on the pavement run under Jian's palm instead of his fingers or else color it so as to indicate that it's flat instead of raised. Every time I look I think he's breaking his fingers. Though part of that could be the lack of cast shadows, which I'm sure you'll put in when you color it. (Is cast shadow the term I want? Contact shadow? Can't remember now.)

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

I really like it even more than the other perspective, eyes or no. But adding in the boxes for expressions is a really neat solution, I agree.

Also...

and I'm going to use this as my final version, and I hope you guys aren't mad at me

Don't worry about that. It's your work. Posting it up here for others to critique is great, and if you find that you don't agree with some critiques, you're totally in your own right to disagree and go with what you like. I'd like to think the critiques here are more for ideas that the original creator might not have thought of that could help them. I generally post my own new websites up here or on the staff board for opinions and critiques, but I'm sure most here know I don't always go with what others think is best (hence the original perspective on the top of LunarNET with Dyne and the ... torso region of Althena. I just liked the color and feel of it, and went with it, against the opinions of many here. So definately don't think you have to use everyone's critiques and opinions to make them happy. I'm sure you already know that though. ^_^
-G1

Kizyr

Re: Compromise

Post by Kizyr »

Nobiyuki77 wrote:This is what I came with as a compromise, and I'm going to use this as my final version, and I hope you guys aren't mad at me, it's just I dont' have the time to do 2, and I REALLY like the 2nd one, but I don't want to shaft you guys and say "well screw you I don't care about your opinions" 'cause I do! I hope you guys like it...

Dude! Comic style! I like it now!

Only one thing that looks a bit odd... The little magnification of Lucia's eyes don't look the same as her eyes in the general picture. It caught my eye (no pun intended), so it looks a bit odd compared to the rest of the picture.

Otherwise, I do like it. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Heh, yeah, it so reminds me of manga :P Still, I liked the first one better, I didn't think it needed any work done to it. ;-; Regardless, awesome.

Edit: Hah, I can totally see that page in a manga style fan-fic for DS :)

Jian: Hey Lucia, look what I can do!
Lucia: JIAN! We have a mission to do and your GOOFING OFF?!
Jian: *tear drop* but.../uh.../... (Alex style :P)

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Greensky
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Greensky »

Bloody brilliant with the addition of the close-up facial expressions. Bloody brilliant. Good show.

LuciaOne
Goddess

Post by LuciaOne »

Hmm, I just think you should reference a model for her position. Her shoulders look too small for the perspective or her waist should be smaller... somewhere the perspective/pose is off and it makes it look like her head is floating and not attached... Just some constructive crits =D
I found my old siggie! MUAH HAHAHAHAHA!!!
~~~
Sir Kizyr: ::high-pitched voice:: Ohh lookit me, I'm a cute li'l elf!
MiaAusa: Oh wait! NO I GET IT.
MiaAusa: It's him finally fessing up the the fact that HE IS a cut li'l elf. :d
MiaAusa: Hey, chance" NO I GET IT" to "NOW I GET IT"
MiaAusa: change**
MiaAusa: I'm mad with grammar today
MiaAusa: bad**

I'm mad with grammar too.
~~~
Sir Kizyr: Here's a lovely song about my favorite food
Sir Kizyr: Lima, lento, soy, and pinto ~ Navy, northern, and garbanzo! ~ Kidneys and frijoles negros
Sir Kizyr: I love beans, I love beans, woo woo woo! ~ How 'bout you? ~ High in fiber ~ Low in fat ~ Hey, I betcha didn't know that
Sir Kizyr: When I eat beans, I sit in my little cloud, I don't know why ~ maybe 'cause I'm cuttin' muffins ~~ Because....
Sir Kizyr: I love beans! Hey hey hey! ~ I love beans everyday! ~ Beans are an excellent source of protein ~ I love beans!
Sir Kizyr: Diggydoo!
~~~

Dragonmaster Lou
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Dragonmaster Lou »

I like it just fine myself, but I'm easy to please.
"Guts can turn a 30% chance into a 100% chance!" - Taiga Kohtarou
Personal home page: http://www.techhouse.org/~lou
Lunar page: http://www.techhouse.org/~lou/lunar/
AMV page: http://www.tealstudios.com

Nobiyuki77
Legendary Hero

Finally it's finished.

Post by Nobiyuki77 »

I know I know... I should have finished this a long time ago. Around Thanksgiving I had something of an emotional breakdown, and I just couldn't draw for a while... I'm doing a bit better now (enough to draw/color at least) and I will be seeing a therapist soon so hopefully that'll help.

Either way, here's the (finally) finished LUNAR: DS fanart piece.

-Nobi

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Hey, not bad at all. I'm amused by the sweatdrops running down Jian's face, though logically they probably wouldn't be since the sweat is more likely to start at the temples.

One concern is that the inset with his face corresponds a little too closely with his body, so it almost looks like a window in his backpack. Lucia's works better because it's a smaller inset whose features are much larger than her own set in a part of the picture where nothing else is going on; Jian's inset face is slightly smaller than his actual face would be because of the perspective. If the inset were cropped top and bottom, so we were only seeing from his chin to hairline, I think it would be more effective. Oh well...it still came out pretty nicely.

Sorry to hear that you've been having a tough time. :|

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

Ooh, sorry to hear that...

Eh, anywho, about the drawing. Like I said, I really like the style and everything, plus the positioning of the inset windows (Alun's comment still might be valid, though). I still think Lucia's insert looks a little odd, since it doesn't quite match up with her face--and so it doesn't look like a 'zoom in' of her expression.

Otherwise, it's great. Though, I'm a sucker for good backgrounds. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Agawa
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Agawa »

Well, the coloured version looks lovely. The expression is very nice, and the shading on Jian is well done. Also, it's nice that you put in the time to create a nice background, it really adds to the effect.

The one comment that I'd like to add is that compared to Jian's, Lucia's hair looks slightly bland. I personally think it could use a bit more shading, but that's the only bit that stood out to me.

Congratulations on finishing it! Although, it is too bad to hear about your troubles,