LUNAR DS sketch, opinions please

For people with stuff to show off. Artwork, music you've composed, websites you've designed, etc. Put it here.
Nobiyuki77
Legendary Hero
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

LUNAR DS sketch, opinions please

Post by Nobiyuki77 »

I'm working on a little LUNAR: DS fanart and I wanted to get some opinions/critiques before moving on in the drawing... 'cause I don't want to get it to a point where I can only start over to fix the problem ya know... ^^;;

Here's the sketch I"m working on...

Comments and suggestions kudasai!
-Nobi

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

I think it looks good, but I've never been good about finding quirks. I'm interested to see how it turns out when finished!
-G1

Angelalex242
Legendary Hero

Post by Angelalex242 »

Poor Jian. The poor man just wants to stand on his head, and Lucia's all yelling at him.

I like the general 'fun' aspect.
Don't blame me, Lucia promised me lots of snuggles and cuddles if I would be her PR guy.

Greensky
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Greensky »

I wish I could draw half as well as that. That sketch is really amazing. It's too bad you didn't work for Game Arts or something, cause if you colored that in perfectly, I'd buy the artwork :D But alas... you're just another Lunar fan... hehe :(

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

I really like the drawing. I think it's a really cute piece of work, not to mention the humor just speaks for itself. I would like to see more works from you in terms of Lunar fanart. However, like G1, I suck at finding anything wrong.

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Nobiyuki77
Legendary Hero

Post by Nobiyuki77 »

Thanks for the comments! I was looking at it this morning and I noticed I need to redraw the steps to look more evenly spaced (i.e. so that they all look the same, not different).

Is there anything I should add?
-Nobi

Shiva Indis
White Dragon Knight

Post by Shiva Indis »

That's a great picture! A lot of fun, and it has a lot of detail too. :D

A few nitpicky things that I only noticed on close comparison to the character designs: You might want to look at the fur lining on Jian's boots. Likewise, Lucia's shoes rise a little higher than you have them. And what about Jian's ponytail?

Mightn't Jian's pack touch the ground if he's upside down?
「まあいいけど。」

Jyd3n
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Jyd3n »

Wow, that's such a cool sketch. I can't wait to see when it's done and fully covered. Definately keep up the good work man, I'm lovin this thing.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Are you going to actually bother to read and respond to comments and critiques this time, or are you going to show up long enough to plaster the piece around every site you can think of and then never come back to read the input you've received like you did with the Advent Children piece?

Jian's arms need to show more strain, particularly his right (our left).

The hair needs contact shadows or else he just looks like he has a really low forehead. Actually, he looks like he does regardless. His hair doesn't splay out quite enough.

His legs look like he has to find a restroom.

His shirt should be sagging downward more, such as around his neck. I agree with Shiva Indix about the backpack.

Lucia's boots aren't high enough, and her feet are posed too stiffly and unnaturally compared to the angle of her body -- they're oriented at right angles to each other and related to the edges of the drawing rather than the rest of her body. It's hard to tell exactly where her weight is supposed to be resting.

From her sprite, it looks like her cape has a split down the middle, which you have not shown. It also looks stiffer in the official art.

She has too much hair in front of her ponytail at the right side of the face.

Her upper body is bent too far forward, or her neck is bent too far back.

Her ponytails are not placed symmetrically compared to the direction she's facing.

Other than that, not bad.

Nobiyuki77
Legendary Hero

Post by Nobiyuki77 »

... I DO read these actually... and I am planning on redrawing the Advent Children piece, the problem I had with that piece was that I had gone so far into the drawing that I COULDN'T fix the problems with erasing, because the marks were so deep in the paper that they wouldn't come off, so I have to start over, which is why I'm asking EARLIER in the stages this time.

I will look into those things you said and try to improve the piece. -.-;;
-Nobi

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Okay. You didn't come back to respond to your comments, then. :P

I do like the general drift of this piece; it seems to go with the game's style pretty well... though Jian's face is definitely Zel rather than Kubooka. ;)

Regarding the other drawing and realistic faces, are you familiar with these books? A friend of mine on another forum who's an art student pointed me at them with almost religious reverence. I've been reading through the Drawing the Heads and Hands one and I think you'll find the heads (and eyes) section really illuminating. I haven't tried putting it into practice yet myself, in part because I can't draw a circle freehand to save my life.

Nobiyuki77
Legendary Hero

Post by Nobiyuki77 »

I'll have to read these, because I do have difficulty with faces. Not that I can't draw realistic faces mind you, I can draw a realistic face. The problem is that it doesn't look like the face of the person I'm DRAWING. -.-;; I need to work on those little things, I'm going to bookmark this page and try to read some of it tomorrow (it's my day off hooray!)

EDIT: I even printed out your list o' things to fix (along with my partner in crime Slime)

http://www.studio-zel.com/images/dalist.jpg

NEW EDIT!

I've been working on retooling the drawing, and had the idea of possibly changing the perspective of the drawing to make it look better. I wanted to see what you guys thought of this new perspective.

-Nobi