The Chronicles of Nall

For people with stuff to show off. Artwork, music you've composed, websites you've designed, etc. Put it here.
Angelalex242
Legendary Hero
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Post by Angelalex242 »

Rubeus still sounds like a Fire Name...but if the Red Dragon's Amelia, then so be it.
Don't blame me, Lucia promised me lots of snuggles and cuddles if I would be her PR guy.

Ardekh
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Ardekh »

Maybe you just think that because Rubeus has "Ruby" in it.

Hmm...

Rubeus - Form of the Latin word ‘rubor’ which means redness, blush, modesty, shame, and disgrace.

Well, redness.

Anyway, I find it a fitting name for neither because I think of the black dragon as being female.

Angelalex242
Legendary Hero

Post by Angelalex242 »

The Black Dragon is definitely female in EBC. She's also a slob, given the amount of Dragon Diamonds right outside her lair. Yeesh. The Slob Dragon, to put it 'politely'.

The Blue Dragon mentions 'She lives south of here' flat out out.

No reason to assume the Black Dragon isn't female in SSSC.
Don't blame me, Lucia promised me lots of snuggles and cuddles if I would be her PR guy.

Ardekh
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Ardekh »

Yep, those are probably the reasons I thought the black dragon was a female. ^_^;;

I prefer the Babbling Dragon to the Slob Dragon, myself. The black dragon's always been a bit too angsty for me.

DevNall
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by DevNall »

Ardekh wrote:I thought the red dragon was a female...in both games. Well, it's not like Cyan could be any other dragon but blue. I wonder how dragons are born...I doubt it's the normal way because if Nall and Ruby DID 'reproduce', their child wouldn't end up blue, it would be pink, and there's no pink dragon of Althena.

If they reproduce, then we assume they did so the way all dragons before them did. And if that's the case, who was Nall's mother? The red or black dragon? (Come to think of it, Nall does have that streak of red hair...)

But on a serious note, that's only the case if the dragon's colors are genetically determined (and even then some traits combine in different ways). But taking a cue from other creatures on our world, the color of each dragon could be environmentally determined at some point in their development. Or as they are magical creatures, maybe the color is simply a representation of whatever magical energy they're a conduit for (which I guess would actually be an environmental feature, too).

I can't imagine that the black, red, or white dragons from SSSC lived (Quark had to go because Nall grew up anyway, and red had to have died before Ruby came around...) but blue seemed pretty much the same.

I agree, and I think the question is interesting. If the Red Dragon didn't make it past SSSC, I get the impression there might not have been another one until EBC, atleast based on this bit of LL dialogue: "Nall... Remember, Nall. Spirits are undying... I shall... see you again... in the far future..." (And of course, he calls her aunt, but then again he calls Quark grandpa and he wasn't aware he was a dragon at that point, either.)

I wonder how Gwyn and Nall met. Did Gwyn grow up in his orphanage? And how did he end up with Ruby...must have had something to do with Nall.

That's interesting... I always got the impression Nall and Ruby had never physically met until the events of EB. Wonder what the general feeling is on that.

Angelalex242
Legendary Hero

Post by Angelalex242 »

Or Color could simply be deterined by the Latent power of Althena.

One wonders where the baby dragon replacements for the Red, Blue, and Black Dragons were in SSSC.

Of course, just because we didn't see them, doesn't mean they weren't there.

Though, again, Ruby's too young to be the daughter of Alex's Red Dragon. So I still say there must've been a Red Dragon in the interim that was Ruby's mother. And that somehow died. Who killed Ruby's hypothetical mom is a story all its own.

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

Why do the dragons have to reproduce?

The emphasis on gender may be no more than an attempt to reach a balance between the powers of the dragons.

And Nall and Ruby could've just been... generated. A manifestation of the power of Lunar, nothing more, nothing less. A periodic breath of renewal for the old dragons. A cycle of life independent of normal means, but nonetheless meaningful to them.
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

DevNall
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by DevNall »

Actually, it may be like gender -- You're either male or female, not some mixture thereof. Or maybe it's tied to gender -- so if Nall and Ruby had kids, the males might be white, and the girls red.

But that's all assuming they reproduce physically (if it all). As magical beings, dragons might, uh, do it differently.

Angelalex242 wrote:One wonders where the baby dragon replacements for the Red, Blue, and Black Dragons were in SSSC.

Of course, just because we didn't see them, doesn't mean they weren't there.

...Maybe they hadn't hatched yet?

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Since you mention hatch, there was that dungeon in EB called Dragon's Nest. Perhaps they're born at a specific place.
-G1

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Lunar: DS reveals quite a bit more about the nature and origin of the dragons. No spoilers, though; you'll have to wait. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Angelalex242
Legendary Hero

Post by Angelalex242 »

Huh. There is a Dragon's nest...

Then again, it might be no longer used.

If Nall has any sense...and taking care of kids as long as he has, one would assume he does...

He'd keep the eggs somewhere in the Grindery. Preferably someplace warm.

Ardekh
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Ardekh »

They hatch from eggs? Since when? They look kind of mammiliar to me...^^;;; Speculation or fact?

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

*sigh* I named the dragons in the order they're encountered. So yes, Amelia is the Red Dragon -- could that be a surprise, given the obviously female name? Rubeus is the black dragon. It's also a masculine name. (Hagrid's first name is Rubeus.) Also, the Legend spells were Quarker, Amelian, Cyanic, and Rubean, because there weren't enough characters to put [color] Dragon [spell] in the English release. You could also check the card section of the Legend part of the site, which makes it fairly clear.

No eggs are mentioned. The only parental connection mentioned is Nall/Quark, and that's a guess of Nall's. Sonic is most likely correct. The name Dragon's Nest probably isn't enough to assume anything of the sort; it looks like a fairly generic fantasy dragon hoard in EB -- there's one chest with the treasure on a graphic of gold and jewels, as I recall. It's also completely optional. The Dragon Ruins seem more significant.

Ardekh
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Ardekh »

But were they always Amelia, Rubeus, and Cyan, or did they just make that for Lunar: Legend? Good thing we got Ruby and not Amelia...yugh!

I can't possibly imagine a dragon hatching from an egg, especially a Lunar dragon. I imagine they're just born out of thin air by Althena's power or something. Didn't Nall come with Luna? A two for one package...XD

Angelalex242
Legendary Hero

Post by Angelalex242 »

Dragons hatching from eggs despite being mammilian in most ways is admittedly a D&D concept.

Then again, it IS a D&D concept...and it's hard not to draw from it. D&D existed before videogames...and most programmers have played it.

Ardekh
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Ardekh »

It's not a very...romantic idea, is it? And I don't mean like, candles and chocolate romantic.

And D&D...ech.

I don't think the dragons went around having affairs with eachother. Except maybe Nall and Ruby. XD

DevNall
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by DevNall »

Angelalex242 wrote:Dragons hatching from eggs despite being mammilian in most ways is admittedly a D&D concept.

Then again, it IS a D&D concept...and it's hard not to draw from it. D&D existed before videogames...and most programmers have played it.

Well, Komodo Dragons lay eggs and some of the creatures that sort of remind me of dragons (atleast the western style ones) lay eggs too. My guess is D&D drew on popular mythology, not the other way around.

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

DevNall wrote:Well, Komodo Dragons lay eggs and some of the creatures that sort of remind me of dragons (atleast the western style ones) lay eggs too. My guess is D&D drew on popular mythology, not the other way around.

Not to mention that platypi lay eggs despite being mammals. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

I'm with Ardekh on this one. Dragons from eggs in Pern and other fantasy = fine. Assuming a convention because of D&D = not fine. Due in no small part because of my dislike of D&D, but also because of my dislike of assumptions. (And I'm sure that dragons hatching from eggs were in fantasy and fairy tales before D&D.)

I'm reasonably sure that the Lunatic Festa drama CDs were the first to name Amelia, at least; I haven't listened to discs 3 and 4 as carefully. Those are from sometime in the 90s, definitely preceding Legend, but presumably after or concurrent with SSS. I haven't seen any indication that the dragons have names in SSS Kiz would probably have said something if they have names in the novels.

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

It's been a long while, but I think I remember at least Amelia being named in the SSS novels. Like I said, though, it's been a while since I read them, and I've been meaning to re-do those summaries for some time. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)