Rarer than a Chiro Crest drop... fan art by me (rough draft)

For people with stuff to show off. Artwork, music you've composed, websites you've designed, etc. Put it here.
Alunissage
Goddess
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Rarer than a Chiro Crest drop... fan art by me (rough draft)

Post by Alunissage »

Seriously, I think the last time I drew fanart was 2003, and the last drawing at all probably 2006, when I was pondering designing my wedding dress. Still, I'd had this idea in my mind for several years, since I noticed that (dancer) Jean's "defend" sprite had her holding her fan between her and the enemy. I don't even remember which version of the game that is.

Too bad I was so impatient to draw it once I got my arm out of my sling that I didn't bother finding a bigger piece of paper, eh? (For some reason just about every drawing I do is at this scale, no matter the size of the paper.) So someday I'll trace it onto a bigger piece of paper and attempt her face and the other hand/fan, which is the part that was the POINT.

Cowardly disclaimers: didn't bother trying to clean up the massive smears of pencil much -- I have no strength at all in my upper arm right now, six weeks after breaking it, so this was actually really painful and awkward to draw. No visual references were used at all, not even a mirror, so I didn't attempt much with the costume details on this draft, and I expect some of the proportions are off. After probably 20 attempts her right foot may still not reflect that it's on her toes, ready for flight (as is the other foot in those stupid idiotic heels... dumb, dumb, dumb); I really suck at foreshortening.
Jean-defending-v0_me.jpg
Jean-defending-v0_me.jpg (59.26 KiB) Viewed 9243 times

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Re: Rarer than a Chiro Crest drop... fan art by me (rough dr

Post by phyco126 »

Two things. The fan looks weird to be held like that. Just doesn't seem to fit at that angle. Also, her foot/ankle on her right (our left) looks... off.

Otherwise, looks good! Sucks to hear about your arm though.

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

I like it! I especially like the impression of motion, which is difficult to convey, and the way the fans are held, the one in her right arm suspended to be twirled again, and the one in the left being drawn up or out.
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

Nobiyuki77
Legendary Hero

Post by Nobiyuki77 »

The motion looks good. I'd say her upper torso is too small, but otherwise it's a fine drawing. ^^
-Nobi

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Thanks, all! I hope to get back to it someday. Between my arm and some other things I tend to have an even shorter attention span than usual these days... >_<

Re fan (Phyco): that could be because I redrew the lower arm after drawing the fan due to realizing that the proportions were screwy. But to be honest the fans were always weird to me, at least the ones that she's shown dancing with (and it seemed to make sense to use those rather than any of the ones you can equip her with even though her dancing fans look about as lethal as apples). I'll revise them once I look at her actual design; mostly I was just happy to get the curves to be somewhat plausible -- I used to collect fans, but all of mine folded up, which these obviously wouldn't. But yeah, it's a little hard to tell what plane the fan is in, or if it's slightly curved toward her. I think I did make curved when I didn't mean to. Thanks.

Re right foot: it's supposed to be roughly the same position as the left foot, but rotated so that the viewer is seeing it head-on. That is, on her toes, in the position that !@%# high heels force feet into (can you tell I dislike those things?), but even more so because all of her weight is on them so she can push off from the ground rapidly at need. But showing a flexed foot head-on when it's already in a shoe that forces flexion... well, I had to, it was part of the mental image that prompted me to draw. But without shading it's pretty hard to indicate, because only the front part of the foot gets foreshortened much; the rest of the foot is closer to parallel to the viewer (argh what's the term?) and therefore isn't as distorted.

Re motion (Sonic#): I'm glad that you see it that way, because seeing it as movement does make the fans make more sense. I was thinking of it as more or less a still pose, though -- defending against a possible attack, hence one fan over her head and the other prepared to block a lower strike. Or something like that. Her skirt's always drawn to suggest that it's a little stiff rather than drapey, so I tried to go with that.

Re torso (Nobi): yeah, I have a bad habit of tending to give drawn figures some of my own proportions, and I'm really short-waisted. >_< (I may have done the same thing with her legs, making the half below the knee a bit short.) Though I seem to recall that Jean rather registers as short-waisted too, though it's disguised a bit by how short her top is, and she's hunched over in this. It got kind of blurred from later corrections, but there's supposed to be a fold in her waist/midriff from being bent, because even a slender athletic dancer would have that, despite what airbrushed ads and such would have you think. The flesh has to go somewhere. All that said, I also have a history of drawing figures that end up having top halves and bottom halves that are different scales, so I'll have to study this carefully.

Thanks again, everyone!