A couple of Giga sketches.

For people with stuff to show off. Artwork, music you've composed, websites you've designed, etc. Put it here.
Nobiyuki77
Legendary Hero
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Re: A couple of Giga sketches.

Post by Nobiyuki77 »

-Nobi

Nobiyuki77
Legendary Hero

Post by Nobiyuki77 »

Mystery: Why do I somehow have a MUCH harder time painting skirts than I do shirts?? >_<

-Nobi

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

I think it's getting better and better. For every gripe you still have, it seems like there are nine or ten things that still look better. I like what you've done with the sleeves of the t-shirt, for example.

As a nonartist, dresses seem like they would be more difficult in part because they're differently formed and malformed by the act of sitting. So you have to pay more attention to the shape of the chair, to the way the weight rests, to the arrangement and form of limbs beneath the cloth. At the same time, the dress doesn't always display these traits directly. It looks like your frustration comes from trying to find what lines to emphasize most. Maybe the thigh comes through a bit too clearly on the crossed leg. Maybe the bunching on the right near the derriere is a little off. It's tough to say. I share your frustration, but you shouldn't be too hard on yourself.
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

Nobiyuki77
Legendary Hero

Post by Nobiyuki77 »

Yeah, that might be the reason, now that I think about it. You're probably right. I am using a photo reference, but it's still hard to get right, since I drew it slightly differently than it was in the photo (mainly 'cause of texture).
-Nobi

brit
White Dragon Knight

Post by brit »

Whoa! O___O
I'm soooo envious of your coloring skills!!! D'8
The picture is lovely.

3DS | 3652-1775-0152
PSN | Psychobrit08
SWITCH | SW-1497-7723-9594

** please let me know if you add me **

Nobiyuki77
Legendary Hero

Post by Nobiyuki77 »

brit wrote:Whoa! O___O
I'm soooo envious of your coloring skills!!! D'8
The picture is lovely.
Thank you. ^_^ I still have a ways to go, both for coloring and this particular illustration. :/
-Nobi

Nobiyuki77
Legendary Hero

Post by Nobiyuki77 »

... I swear when I finally finish this piece I never want to look at it again... (progress update)

-Nobi

7CityRansom
Nanza Bandit

Post by 7CityRansom »

Amazing!

Nobiyuki77
Legendary Hero

Post by Nobiyuki77 »

Thanks! :D I still have a ways to go to finish though. Wish me luck!
-Nobi

Nobiyuki77
Legendary Hero

Post by Nobiyuki77 »

Okay, I'm going to call this "done" and walk away from this for now.

I started this picture back in August of last year-ish. People who have been following me on this journey to challenge myself may remember that there used to be a bookshelf on the right side of this piece in the foreground. You'll notice then, that it's been cropped out of this "complete" version. This is because I can't take it anymore. I can't stand looking at this piece anymore, and I can't bring myself to spend a month or so painting a foreground bookshelf at this time. See, since it's the foreground there's absolutely no way I can fake it. Doing that would look even worse. I'd have to painstakingly paint it with the love and care I've painted the rest of this piece.

And overall, I am happy with what I achieved with this piece. I overreached a bit, and there's definitely more I could have done, so in that way it does feel like a failure. But I've also learned a lot painting this. Hopefully the next time I try to paint something I won't overreach like I did with this piece. There's a reason I'm not pro-level yet; I haven't fully found where my boundaries lie.

I'm ready to paint new things. I'm ready to move on. So here it is, the "complete" version of this piece. For now. Maybe in a few years when I've learned more I'll go back and finish the bookshelf (I have that version still saved). But for now, I'm moving on.

-Nobi