Video Project - Lunar 2 Lost Tracks

For people with stuff to show off. Artwork, music you've composed, websites you've designed, etc. Put it here.
Shiva Indis
White Dragon Knight
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Video Project - Lunar 2 Lost Tracks

Post by Shiva Indis »

I've been working on this for a little while, and I have enough content now that I think it's worth showing off. I've been doing little experiments in video editing based around the unused PCM in the Japanese version of Lunar: Eternal Blue. So if you've ever wondered about that stuff, now it's readily accessible.

1) Alternate version of "Destination: Zophar's Domain" (in Japanese)

2) Beyond the Silence variation 1 - "sneaking aboard the Destiny"

3) Beyond the Silence variation 2 - creepy distortion
「まあいいけど。」

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Re: Video Project - Lunar 2 Lost Tracks

Post by Sonic# »

I like the images you provide to go with the music in the latter two cases. I wasn't looking for any line of causation there, but it was pretty cool just to watch, especially because I've never gotten a hold of a copy of the Sega CD version.

The first one is pretty funny. But it is a lot verbally going on at the same time. The change does signal a slight change in tone, moving from a team of relatively equally earnest equals to a team where Hiro and Ruby are really gung-ho, and the others are as much spectators as adventurers. The story becomes more centered on them.
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

Nobiyuki77
Legendary Hero

Post by Nobiyuki77 »

This is awesome stuff! I love learning about my favorite game ever (right edition too, Sega CD for the win!)
-Nobi

Shiva Indis
White Dragon Knight

Post by Shiva Indis »

Glad you enjoyed them. But don't think you're off the hook now... There's so much more audio nonsense to cover! :mrgreen:

4) What's this cutscene music doing here? (Maybe I should redo this one with a full repeat...)

5) Come Sail Away - High tempo version vs. regular version

Video 4 is the last of the unused stuff; now I'm starting with the stuff that got changed (there're only a couple changed songs). After that, I'll do the songs that were left out of the remake.
「まあいいけど。」

Nobiyuki77
Legendary Hero

Post by Nobiyuki77 »

Awesome! I always thought the US version sounded quite fast, and in the PSX version it's the normal speed. I guess that explains it!
-Nobi

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Yeah, this is cool. I already had the tracks (JWL/Hatless posted them at the Grotto years ago) but it's neat to see them with images, as well as your conjectures about using them. Makes me want more than ever to do a revision of that game, with some of the less logical things straightened out and the unused stuff used.

Solana
Student of Vane

Post by Solana »

It's amazing how much of a difference the speed makes. The English version sounds like the boat is going to crash into something at any minute, while the Japanese version sounds a bit more leisurely.
This is either madness, or brilliance- Will Turner
It's remarkable how often those traits coincide- Captain Jack Sparrow, Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl

Shiva Indis
White Dragon Knight

Post by Shiva Indis »

Another video up! I think it might take a while before I have the next one ready.

6) Goddess Tower reveal - this event has a unique song on the Sega CD version. A unique song with two versions. Check out my animated gifs! (Yes, they're animated gifs. :P )
「まあいいけど。」

Shiva Indis
White Dragon Knight

Post by Shiva Indis »

Lost Tracks Lives!

7) The special song from the unbeatable stage of the final boss, which isn't in the remake. This song was already on YouTube; I got the name "Lucia's Revelation" from another user there, in fact. I did, however, extend the song so it has a proper full repeat.

「まあいいけど。」

Aaron
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Aaron »

These are by far the best Lunar fan videos I have ever seen. I have to know what software did you use to create it and which versions of Lunar 2 did you use? Particularly I was shocked to see a semi-animated Black Dragon...

LuNaRtIc
Bromide Hunter

Post by LuNaRtIc »

Shiva Indis wrote:Lost Tracks Lives!

7) The special song from the unbeatable stage of the final boss, which isn't in the remake. This song was already on YouTube; I got the name "Lucia's Revelation" from another user there, in fact. I did, however, extend the song so it has a proper full repeat.

Beautiful! Thank you for sharing!! :3
「美しい白い竜 愛しい白い竜…」
My avatar art was done by luleiya! <3

Shiva Indis
White Dragon Knight

Post by Shiva Indis »

Aaron wrote:These are by far the best Lunar fan videos I have ever seen. I have to know what software did you use to create it and which versions of Lunar 2 did you use? Particularly I was shocked to see a semi-animated Black Dragon...
Thank you, glad you like it. :mrgreen: All the images except the background are from the Sega CD version of Lunar 2. The background is the remake title screen sans logo.

Part of my prep work for this project has been cataloging every frame of cutscene animation in the game. It wasn't exactly necessary, but for me it's fun/theraputic. :P The Sega CD version of the game has a short cutscene each time you free a dragon; I think it's a shame they were left out of the remake. I used the White Dragon one in video 6, BTW.

Software: L2WAV (Lunar audio converter), animget (screencaps), GIMP (image editor), unFreez (animated gif maker), Vegas Movie Studio (video editor).
「まあいいけど。」

Shiva Indis
White Dragon Knight

Post by Shiva Indis »

It's been close to half a year, but I'm still occasionally working on Lost Tracks. I didn't originally intend to include this one, but here it is anyway...

8) Honky Tonk Lucier - a.k.a. the Giggle Tent Song. Because it plays in the Giggle Tent in the Sega CD version, but not in the remake. You can't hear the whole song on demand in the remake, just a little bit of it in a cutscene.

I have another video project going too - evidently, barely being able to manage one isn't enough for me. :P So I'm putting the Saturn gamerip of Lunar 2 up on YouTube. I'm trying to step up my video composition game, so they're pretty neat if I do say so myself.

I intend to get a lot of mileage out of that intro part. :mrgreen: Installments of the Saturn Gamerip so far:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9Zgu7-yDgA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HB5yCwt3L1o
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfLH4uRCung
「まあいいけど。」