New Art: Cry a Galaxy

For people with stuff to show off. Artwork, music you've composed, websites you've designed, etc. Put it here.
Rego
Student of Vane
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

New Art: Cry a Galaxy

Post by Rego »

Tell me what you think?

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

I like it :) Then again, I always liked stuff like that. *shrugs* Really though, I find it nice.

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

I've always loved almost anything to do with the stars, so my judgment there is very biased. Good work. :D

As I continue to look at it, though, I see other things going on, besides the stars, the arch, and the legs of a girl... sitting down? The feet do look rather odd, but maybe that's because I have no upper part to really reference, save the silhouette that blends into the heavens.

The skulls nearby are curious. Is it that the girl is mourning, and her mourning gives birth to the stars above her? Or something else? Pictures are hard. ^_^
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

Rego
Student of Vane

Post by Rego »

Yes, the legs may look a bit strange to those who did not create the peace just because they cover the torso;however I think they make a great impact seeing as how I wanted the area around the legs to be the may focal point.

Not to mention I love the ballet shoes.

Anyhow, yes in a sense she is morning. I wanted to make the scene kind of like a story. The light you see hear her ankles and by the skulls is a lantern I carefully placed to light up the skulls. This being her noticing them, realizing one day she will become just like that. The green represents celestial lights. Green is also my favorite color so it kind of makes sense. But, green also represents celestial there for I used it.

Thanks for the comments.

localflick
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by localflick »

VERY cool. To me it seems like she's trapped in a dark world of dispair, but surrounded by little glimmering specks of hope which she doesn't notice because she's too lost in her own world of sadness. It's like the unnoticed specks of light are the memory of the one she lost, with the skull of light reminding her of her own mortality. So no matter how deeply depressed we get over a loss, we should always look up so we can appreciate the beauty of their memory. That's what I got from it.

Rego
Student of Vane

Post by Rego »

I love how people get their own ideas from artwork. that is what make sit all worthwhile. ^^

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

I very rarely comment on other folks' works of art on this site, mostly because I prefer to be very up-front and the majority of people are just looking for compliments, rather than critiques, and I just end up upsetting folks instead.

But... damn... this is good. I mean really good. I very rarely find individual artwork I really enjoy (maybe with the exception of LuciaOne's character illustrations and Mia's photography). I can't find anything I could critique about this; almost makes me doubt myself, thinking maybe I'm just easy to please. But as far as I can see, it's just really that good.

What was your process in making this? How big is the original piece? KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Rego
Student of Vane

Post by Rego »

The original peice is about twice that size.

I really should make a tutorial or something like that.

The main thing is finding all of the photos I want to use.

My process I think:

Step1: Detirmine my theme
Step2: Find the foreground(person, object, animal)
Step3: Find the background (always base the background off of the foreground)
Step4: Fit the foreground onto the background
Step5: Shave the figure bald and somewhat naked ^^'
Step6: Place clothing, hair, makeup, etc on foreground
Step7: Add extra foreground "Trees, glitter, stars, snow, rain, etc"
Step8: soften image by using blur, color, copy, light, etc.

There is so much to this I couldn't possibly go through it all, it's easily shown than said.

I love photomonipulating since that is mainly what magazines and postes are. Now a-days you are find book covers with photomonipulations on them instead of hand paintings/digipaint. It's so time consuming to paint something and make it look so real, people are finding it easier to just edit a photograph.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

How much of it is your own photography, and how much is from other sources?

If it's a lot from other sources, then I think a great direction you can go in from here is to start using all original photographs. Mia could definitely offer some advice there.

Anyway, that kind of points to why I might have liked it this much. I always enjoy artwork where the background plays a major role. I remember an exhibit at a museum in Oklahoma City (I forget the name, but it was on Native American culture of the five main tribes removed to there)... it was all landscapes, and all absolutely gorgeous landscapes at that. For artists who like to create individual designs, like characters or whatnot, having a background that looks great around the character is something I really appreciate seeing. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Rego
Student of Vane

Post by Rego »

Right now it is all material I have recieved permission to use, but as I enter the upcoming school year I will be assigned a camera and have the oppurtunity to take my own photographs.

localflick
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by localflick »

There's a lot of colleges with great digital imaging programs in Chicago. Columbia College had a very good setup, and I've heard that The Art Institute has a good program too. Out of curiosity, are you considering any of them?

Rego
Student of Vane

Post by Rego »

I rather stay local because of dorm costs, so not really. IUPUI has Herron and I am thinking of going there. It has been newly remodeled and is considered to be good.