Art Trade Completed!

For people with stuff to show off. Artwork, music you've composed, websites you've designed, etc. Put it here.
PrettyGirlJean
White Dragon Knight
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Art Trade Completed!

Post by PrettyGirlJean »

Hi guys,

I just recently completed this art trade and thought I'd share. I am still working on my Ghaleon fanart, but this art trade has been a year in the making! I hope you like it, and will love to hear any critiques! :) Thanks so much and take care!

Aaron
Blue Dragon Ninja

Re: Art Trade Completed!

Post by Aaron »

I love the crescent moon in the background. But what is a "art trade"?

I love it but, one thing I saw that might be something to work on is:

The shadowing. The sun is in the upper right giving off probably a 65~ degree shadow. Yet the characters have no shadow implying that the sun is 90 degrees above them.

Other than that. Great job, your getting really good.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Eh? They have shadows -- they're just subtle, because the surface of the grass breaks them up. Look how much darker the grass is just to the front and left of the centaur's foreleg vs in back of his tail.

What comes to my mind is more that the line of the centaur's right shoulder is confusing. It looks really low and sloped, while the surface indicated by his hair is much higher. I would guess that it's supposed to be that a bit of his hair is folding over the front of his shoulder, but that isn't clear.

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

Actually, for the most part the shadowing on the bodies is correct in it's placement. Some areas need highlighting more like the lower hind/tail of the centaur. I think Aaron is referring to ground cast shadows from the characters themselves. Shadows are always a tricky business, but I think the art is beautiful. Fantastic job PGJ!

Edit: I just looked again and it's the lower hind leg that just needed some faint highlights, not the butt. The tail is fully highlighted but some slight color shades will give it more detail. Again, great job.

Nobiyuki77
Legendary Hero

Post by Nobiyuki77 »

I like. It's got a nice, whimsical style to it. :-)

My only concern is I'm not seeing enough of a cast shadow off of the front characters onto the grass considering how they're shaded. Otherwise very lovely. ^_^
-Nobi