3rd Art Carving- Byakko "White Tiger"

For people with stuff to show off. Artwork, music you've composed, websites you've designed, etc. Put it here.
Maiku
Student of Vane
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

3rd Art Carving- Byakko "White Tiger"

Post by Maiku »

This here is my 3rd carving I've made since I started the Lunar one. My Lu Xun carving is still near the bottom of this topic, and now I give you my 3rd piece. My brother is going to be moving out soon... (as will I), but it's my memoir for him.

Maiku's Gift for Brother

I liked the Katakana, so I inputted it in there. Says "TO: Matto/Matt", "FROM: Maiku/Mike"

I couldn't find a japanese phrase for byakko, but instead I did "Tiger" in the middle. Enjoy. n_n

NOTE: Unlike the others, this one wasn't drawn beforehand on the scratchboard. This made it harder to carve.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Would've looked better without the semi-katakana in the middle. But otherwise it's ok. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

AnimeJei
Red Dragon Priest

Post by AnimeJei »

That's awesome work! I remember doing those back in portfolio classes. ah the scratchboards :) Only thing I see "wrong" is maybe the tiger's left side is a little bigger than the right but maybe you intended for this as the eyes are different. Did you do this in an art class? Great work, i'm sure your bro will appreciate it!
Image"Sample my goods!!"

Maiku
Student of Vane

Post by Maiku »

Thank you, but... the Katakana was absolutely necessary in the middle... otherwise, it would've been blank. It looked awful with nothing there ><

Jei, I think the left side looks smaller. :shock:
But it's nice to receive critical acclaims.

I'm looking for an idea on my next one... can I get some ideas, please? n-n

Preferably not an animal this time.

AnimeJei
Red Dragon Priest

Post by AnimeJei »

Well I meant our right, the Tiger's left ^^* But good stuff! Well, since it's Halloween season I am not sure you are familiar with Michael Myers or not of the "Halloween" movie franchise?.. I think it would be cool to do his face/mask on scratchboard. Whatever you do, looking forward to it!
Image"Sample my goods!!"

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Maiku wrote:Thank you, but... the Katakana was absolutely necessary in the middle... otherwise, it would've been blank. It looked awful with nothing there ><
Well... the katakana is poorly-written. It would've looked better with a large blank spot than with bad handwriting in the middle.

For whatever your next project is, I'd recommend trying to get proportions down right, so that you have the focus of your piece be in the center and avoid any 'blank spots' if that really troubles you. Adding in things arbitrarily never makes artwork better. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Maiku
Student of Vane

Post by Maiku »

@Jei
hehe. I guess...

Micheal Myers? Not really a big fan of him, but thanks for giving a suggestion. :D (I'd prefer to carve something that's not 3D, otherwise it's rather difficult. xP)

@Kizyr
What can I say? I've never really practiced writing my katakana. Since it's not an official artwork, I decided... "Oh what the hell" and carved that into it. At least you're right about the proportion. It's my fault that I couldn't move the tiger up more. Plus, now that I look at it, it looks like I could've added more above the tiger, like a giant leaf or something, rather than those words. Oh well... what's done is done. :(