Lunar Cosplay

For people with stuff to show off. Artwork, music you've composed, websites you've designed, etc. Put it here.
phyco126
Dragonmaster
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Re: Lunar Cosplay

Post by phyco126 »

*gasp* Oh yeah? Well, my excitement level is over 1,000,000!!!!!! Dun Dun Duuuuuuun

Seriously, if you get it, take lots of pictures!

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

HiroOne
Red Dragon Priest

Post by HiroOne »

Oh yeah I definitely plan on taking plenty of pictures. There are a few other obstacles that I need to overcome to make it perfect, but I'll do my best with what I have for now (contacts versus glasses, maybe a wig to match the hair better, a replacement for the lucia's pendant I lost years ago, need to paint my boomerang, and need to find a nice 25' small metal grappling hook). I also might want to do some customizations to what they provide. I'd rather use bronze hinges for the belt that have a hook more similar to what Hiro actually uses and I'd like to put a few more metal studs in the belt near the shoulder.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

HiroOne wrote:Oh yeah I definitely plan on taking plenty of pictures. There are a few other obstacles that I need to overcome to make it perfect, but I'll do my best with what I have for now (contacts versus glasses, maybe a wig to match the hair better, a replacement for the lucia's pendant I lost years ago, need to paint my boomerang, and need to find a nice 25' small metal grappling hook). I also might want to do some customizations to what they provide. I'd rather use bronze hinges for the belt that have a hook more similar to what Hiro actually uses and I'd like to put a few more metal studs in the belt near the shoulder.
I can't remember the website or the name, but there is at least one person who takes custom orders for Hiro/Lucia costumes. The same person designed this:

LuciaOne ordered from him/her once, as well, for her Lucia costume years back. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

HiroOne
Red Dragon Priest

Post by HiroOne »

Ugh, now you've got me wondering.. and being a detective. I found another picture of the couple but their names and contact details still escape me!
Source: http://www.cosplay.com/photo/69521/
Kizyr wrote:
HiroOne wrote:Oh yeah I definitely plan on taking plenty of pictures. There are a few other obstacles that I need to overcome to make it perfect, but I'll do my best with what I have for now (contacts versus glasses, maybe a wig to match the hair better, a replacement for the lucia's pendant I lost years ago, need to paint my boomerang, and need to find a nice 25' small metal grappling hook). I also might want to do some customizations to what they provide. I'd rather use bronze hinges for the belt that have a hook more similar to what Hiro actually uses and I'd like to put a few more metal studs in the belt near the shoulder.
I can't remember the website or the name, but there is at least one person who takes custom orders for Hiro/Lucia costumes. The same person designed this:

LuciaOne ordered from him/her once, as well, for her Lucia costume years back. KF

HiroOne
Red Dragon Priest

Post by HiroOne »

I think I found my person..

http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=18549

Mira Twilight
Subject: ;) Does anyone have a picture of me?
Body: A few people took pictures of me at Otakon. I was dressed as Leene from FFX-2 for half of the convention, and Lucia from Lunar the other half with my boyfriend accompanying me as Hiro. If anyone has my picture, could you let me know? Thanks<3

Further inspection goes to show:
"Costume was made by Setsuna Kou."

HiroOne
Red Dragon Priest

Post by HiroOne »

Success!!

From SetsunaKou <setsunak@nefcom.net>

Hi again, Jamie san!

I just read your other email!! ^^;; Sorry about the mixup!

Anyway, yes, that is our Hiro costume (and Lucia costume) ^^ Here is
another photo of them they sent us:

http://www.setsunakou.com/costume/miscv ... iafull.jpg

We're so glad you like them!!

The Hiro costume with shoes and pendant is $195.00
The boomerang accessory would be $45
The dagger/sword accessory would be $20
Hiro Wig $35.00

And all would be super super accurate to the character.

I looked at the pictures but couldn't see a grappling hook. Do you have
another picture of it where we can see it better? Thanks!!

Yes, we do improve our costume designs every time and we will make it as
accurate as possible! ^^

Our current turnaround is 8-10 weeks from date we receive your payment,
but we do offer a RUSH option for an additional $30 and then you can
receive it in 2-4 weeks from date of payment.

What date do you need it for?

Please let us know about the grappling hook and also, what pieces of the
costume you'd like. ^^

Thanks again so much for your kindness and enthusiasm!! We promise to make
it as perfect as possible for you!! :hug:

God bless!

SEtsunaKou ^^

HiroOne
Red Dragon Priest

Post by HiroOne »

I've been wondering what was going on with the hiro costume.. havn't heard from Setsuna Kou for a while. I figured she'd mail me before shipping it out. When I got home I didn't expect it to be there but I thought to myself.. "It'd be epic if there was a box sitting in front of my door" as I walked into the house. And there was. I was floored

Here's a pic of me in a tree.
Last edited by HiroOne on Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Hawt. Ti's all I can say.

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

HiroOne
Red Dragon Priest

Post by HiroOne »

I'll get some better pics sunday night. I'm going to a delaware anime society club meeting in Wilmington, DE and I'll be in cosplay

Avianna
Saith Pirate

Post by Avianna »

I've been a fan of Lunar for a very long time, but I just recently signed up for the forum. I wanted to do research on any other cosplayers who do Lunar stuff. All the costumes here are great!

I also wanted to ask if anyone would like to meet up with me at Ohayocon 2009 to do some Lunar cosplay? I'm planning on doing Dark Luna just cause I've got the face for evil :P

Started on the bracers and such for it and still drawing up patterns for the actual costume. A friend has said he is going to make the Ghaleon costume from the Rise of the Goddess Tower scene as well, so it should be a fun time all around.

If anyone is interested, I will keep you posted on the progress. If not, that's fine too.

If more people are interested we could turn the next few pages of this thread into a "Keep Track of People's Progress!" portion.

Just let me know!! :3

HiroOne
Red Dragon Priest

Post by HiroOne »

Hmm.. Ohayocon isn't quite in my loop. It's not out of the question, but it's rather close to Katsucon 09'. I would love to be a part of a lunar cosplay gathering. The philly otaku go to as many cons as we can so I'll bring it up with the group.

Avianna
Saith Pirate

Post by Avianna »

That would make a Lunar Loving Cosplay Girl VERY happy!

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

I caught a Luna and Kyle (pretty good Kyle, too) at DragonCon.

I've been meaning to update the cosplay section for a while. I may ask for submissions in the near future so there's enough ammo for a good update. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

Kizyr wrote:I caught a Luna and Kyle (pretty good Kyle, too) at DragonCon.

I've been meaning to update the cosplay section for a while. I may ask for submissions in the near future so there's enough ammo for a good update. KF
I'd swear I saw a Lucia, but it was in passing as my line was being moved to another area for efficiency or something like that.
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

Dragonmaster Lou
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Dragonmaster Lou »

FYI, first place in the "Craftsman" division of Otakon's hall costume contest this year was someone dressed as Luna. :)

Also, a Nall (I'm assuming it's Lunar's Nall and not some other random Nall) costume won a Judge's award on Saturday

http://www.otakon.com/awards_2008.asp#hall
"Guts can turn a 30% chance into a 100% chance!" - Taiga Kohtarou
Personal home page: http://www.techhouse.org/~lou
Lunar page: http://www.techhouse.org/~lou/lunar/
AMV page: http://www.tealstudios.com

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

Post by Benevolent_Ghaleon »

Cosplay would be nice if it wasn't so chock full of fat girls trying to resemble skinny characters.

Maru
Bromide Hunter

Post by Maru »

Benevolent_Ghaleon wrote:Cosplay would be nice if it wasn't so chock full of fat girls trying to resemble skinny characters.
I wasn't gonna say it...

My friend and I at Otakon '04 carried around flasks and took a shot every time we saw something... unappealing. Best three days ever!

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

Weirdly enough, lately I've been seeing more people cosplaying... "accurately".

At DragonCon, I saw at least 5 Leia cosplayers (the Jabba slavegirl outfit from Return of the Jedi). All of them had the figure for it. At the last Otakon, there were a bunch of people cosplaying Yoko from Gurren Lagann; I didn't really feel comfortable looking at them too long, but most of them seemed to be fit enough to do that. I'll see some Etna cosplayers now and then; all of them have at least been thin enough to pull it off, and maybe only 1 out of 4 or 5 looked a bit out-of-shape.

Then again, way back me and one of my friends passed a girl cosplaying as Kagome from Inuyasha. Once we were out of earshot, my friend tells me:
"If she were Kagome, the series would've ended at the first episode after she gets stuck in the well." KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

I'm kind of torn. On the one hand, I think that if someone is going to dress up as a character then that person should do it well and accurately, including clothes that are well-made and well-fitted... and accuracy for the latter would include having a similar body shape to that of the character in question.

On the other hand, I am so bloody fed up with the ideas that 1) people, especially males, feel they have the right to make rude, judgmental, cruel remarks about other people, especially females, who they deem to be too large for the quite narrow (so to speak) parameters of "acceptability", especially when skewed by immersion in anime, and 2) people who are fat should not be allowed to participate in activities that might involve them actually being seen. Because, you know, if they aren't "hot" then they don't deserve to play too.

Of course, the two hands are frequently in conflict. More options for costumes that didn't depend on the wearer being skinny in order to resemble the character would help. (At least, I am assuming that there are few nonskinny female anime characters that are desirable to cosplay; I don't watch anime and have never been to a con.)

P.S. Just for some humorous contrast, the person inside the Borgan suit the first year WD had it at E3 was quite skinny. I wonder if any of the little photo folders used the "inside every fat person is a thin one trying to get out" line.

P.P.S. Did I mention that I seriously considered dressing as my Althena avatar for my own wedding? I ended up deciding that there wouldn't be time to have the dress made, especially since I'd have to compromise the design and/or have a whole lot of additional structure in it to cope with real-life considerations. I would not have colored my hair or worn a wig. And if I'd done that and posted photos, how much of the response would have been snark and jackassery about those necessary compromises? Probably not so much here, for the most part, but I wouldn't be so sanguine about putting myself in the public eye. Whatever I may think about "accuracy" in costume, I continue to be impressed with those who dress up as who they like and want knowing full well what kind of nasty criticism they'll be getting for it.

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

Post by Benevolent_Ghaleon »

Maru wrote:
Benevolent_Ghaleon wrote:Cosplay would be nice if it wasn't so chock full of fat girls trying to resemble skinny characters.
I wasn't gonna say it...

My friend and I at Otakon '04 carried around flasks and took a shot every time we saw something... unappealing. Best three days ever!
I'm surprised I've never considered how funny it'd be to troll a 'con. I wouldn't do it if it was for Star Wars, though. That fanbase is insane.