Insane Blog

For people with stuff to show off. Artwork, music you've composed, websites you've designed, etc. Put it here.
Werefrog
Dragonmaster
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Insane Blog

Post by Werefrog »

Read this and tell me what you think about it. It's quirky and pretty insane as the title would suggest. Just don't be too hard on me :? . Just to let you know, the "This" is the link. Also, if you have a Myspace comments directly on the blog are always appreciated.

Zophar
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Zophar »

Well for one a blog is not art, why did you put this in the art section? I agree that a lot of the 'Popular' music out there is crap.

"Perfectly, normal baseball playing, apple pie eating Americans eventually discover the IPod. Next thing you know, they're playing soccer and sitting in some French bistro somewhere ordering a chocolate souffle. A chocolate souffle that takes thirty minutes to make! The longer they play soccer and order chocolate souffles the less they work. The less they work; the less they pay taxes."

How is playing baseball and eating an Apple pie any different from playing soccer and eating a chocolate souffle (aside from it being a different sport and food)? It's not like that Apple Pie took any less time to make. Plus your example doesn't even connect to the Ipod in any way at all. So if you were trying to say something there you failed miserably.

It's not the Ipod that changed peoples' behavior. It's us who have changed our behavior. Over the past few decades or so society has become twisted and corrupted. It's is not known what caused this but it deffinetly wasn't the Ipod.

If you are blamming the Ipod for humanity's problems you DO have issues that you need to work out.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Did you see the board description?

"This is the board for people with stuff to show off. Artwork, music you've composed, <b>websites you've designed</b>, etc. Put it here."

While he may or may not have done the design work, it's still a link to a website, and if he created it (which he did if it's his blog) then it falls under The Arts.
-G1

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

Zophar wrote:Well for one a blog is not art, why did you put this in the art section? I agree that a lot of the 'Popular' music out there is crap.

"Perfectly, normal baseball playing, apple pie eating Americans eventually discover the IPod. Next thing you know, they're playing soccer and sitting in some French bistro somewhere ordering a chocolate souffle. A chocolate souffle that takes thirty minutes to make! The longer they play soccer and order chocolate souffles the less they work. The less they work; the less they pay taxes."

How is playing baseball and eating an Apple pie any different from playing soccer and eating a chocolate souffle (aside from it being a different sport and food)? It's not like that Apple Pie took any less time to make. Plus your example doesn't even connect to the Ipod in any way at all. So if you were trying to say something there you failed miserably.

It's not the Ipod that changed peoples' behavior. It's us who have changed our behavior. Over the past few decades or so society has become twisted and corrupted. It's is not known what caused this but it deffinetly wasn't the Ipod.

If you are blamming the Ipod for humanity's problems you DO have issues that you need to work out.

Okay, not to be rude, I enjoy the opinions of other, but it's supposed to be humorous. I guess if you didn't get the attempts at humor this just wasn't your thing, no big deal. Humor is one of the most subjective forms of art.

Oh, and thanks for defending me G1. :)

Keep the comments coming... I think I can handle it.

Ardekh
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Ardekh »

Can nobody spell iPod?

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

Guess not. I hate the way they spell it... then again my way was no better. Any other thoughts?

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Zophar wrote:How is playing baseball and eating an Apple pie any different from playing soccer and eating a chocolate souffle (aside from it being a different sport and food)? It's not like that Apple Pie took any less time to make. Plus your example doesn't even connect to the Ipod in any way at all. So if you were trying to say something there you failed miserably.

Alternately, you failed miserably at grasping the metaphor he was using. Baseball and apple pie are common symbols of America -- as in "it's American as apple pie" -- and soccer and soufflés are not. The line previous to that is about destroying American culture, and the above is an example of people who had pursued classic Americanisms are now seeking out more international equivalents. Not to mention that the whole thing is satiric.

Personally, I do think the iPod phenomenon is symptomatic of some troubling trends, the "bubble" mentality of thinking that everyone else around you doesn't really exist as far as importance is concerned. I suspect that constantly filling your ears with music dims general awareness of the world around you and ties up brainpower which might be needed. But that's just me; I'm almost incapable of listening to music without paying close attention to it, so about the only things I can do while listening to music are drive, knit, or write up analyses of what I'm hearing. The thought of being surrounded by a world of iPod addicts whose mental functions are similarly subsumed by music to which they listen constantly is one of many things which makes me hate to leave my house. I admit to being a bit prejudiced by the people on my commuter train who are incapable of managing volume and/or headphones so as to not inflict their leaking noise on the people around them (exemplifying the unawareness of and lack of caring about how they negatively impact others).

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Oh, a discussion I can dig into! So rare these days, saddly. *ahem* That's nearly like saying the gun didn't kill the guy, the person who used the gun did. That in itself is an arguement you hear time and time again, in one form or another. But lets look. You said the iPod didn't change people, we changed our own behavior. Same basic arguement applies.

-Ever since the iPod came out, more reports have comeout saying that the iPods are hurting our hearing more now than ever before (though I fail to see the difference between earphones today and earphones a decade ago, but for the sake of arguement, it's being mentioned.)
-More and more people are stealing iPods in subways and the like
-iPods are expensive, and despite many alternative mp3 players on the market today, people tend to spend more money on the iPod because it's the "in" thing. To many people, the iPod is a symbol of social status. What that status is, I have yet to figure it out, but it's out there.

So, if the iPod didn't come out, would we have stole more than before? Would we have been willing to spend large amounts of money on something that is no longer superior? Sure, people do it all the time. Shoes, purses, watches, cars. But without those items, we wouldn't. The item gives us a gateway to the world of corruption. Without the iPod, little Johnny would have finished school, went to Harvard, because a Lawyer and made 50 million dollars by retirement. Instead, the iPod came out. Little Johnny stole it from someone on the subway, got caught, went to court. He eventually dropped out of school, and ended up out in the streets doing petty crimes for the rest of his life. Why? Because the iPod changed his behavior. He simply had to have one, because it was a social status. If you didn't have an iPod, you where society's outcast, so to speak.

*shrug* Still, according to you, all little Johnny had to do was ignore the iPod or save up for it. It was little Johnny who made little Johnny a criminal because he couldn't keep his mind straight. It was little Johnny who choose to steal, not the iPod. So the arguement could go on forever, and it could go either way. Yet to say that the iPod had no influence on his behavior isn't all that right either. Maybe it's both the iPod and little Johnny's mind that made him the criminal.

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

I say screw the iPod.

I have an MP3-CD player. I re-burn a CD-RW now and then with a tracklist of about 190-220 MP3s or so, so my mix changes up enough to keep it interesting.

MP3 CD Player: $35
CD-RW: $2
Better headphones than iPods: $8

iPod: $200-$300

I think I'm satisfied with my $45 purchase versus the $200-300. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Exactly. This iPod thing is nothing more than people wanting to be in the "in crowd" by having one. It's ridiculous to even buy one when you can get an MP3 CD player. About the only use is if you're going to go jogging, a CD player can skip. But even then, there's so much anti-skip protection it's almost not even an issue anymore.
-G1

Ardekh
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Ardekh »

Personally, I listen to records with a dash of CDs and tapes, so I have no opinion on the whole iPod thing as I've never actually touched one.

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

GhaleonOne wrote: About the only use is if you're going to go jogging, a CD player can skip. But even then, there's so much anti-skip protection it's almost not even an issue anymore.

I remember the first portable cd player my mom bought. It cost like, a ton of money. It was cool and great for road trips (before CD players in cars became a hit thing.) The problem was, that the slightest tap on the CD player caused it to skip a lot.

Now days, you can buy a $100 portable CD player and toss it, jump on the bed with it, and smash it with a hammer and it will still play without skipping :P

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."