M-Flo <3's Crystal Kay...

Your general non-gaming entertainment thread.
PrettyGirlJean
White Dragon Knight
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

M-Flo <3's Crystal Kay...

Post by PrettyGirlJean »

...and so do I! Wow, I've just recently heard a few of Crystal Kay (Williams) songs and.... I'm just speechless! She has an absolutely beautiful voice! If you like Utada Hikaru and/or Yoshika then I think you will really like Crystal, she is fluent in Japanese and speaks perfect english as well! I don't know too much about her since I haven't had time to search for an official/unofficial english website and I can't read her official japanese site (http://www.sonymusic.co.jp/Music/Info/C-Kay/) She has a very unique look to her as well, she is half African American and Korean... I wish I could find the article but it was mentioned that while her voice rivals that of Utada that her image may be a hindrance as she doesn't look Japanese. However, in my opinion I don't think it's going to matter.

Also, if you're an M-Flo fan (which I am ^^) you'll enjoy a few of her songs as well as she's teamed up with him. Since I sincerely encourage giving her a try, I've posted a song on sendit for your listening pleasure ^^

http://s52.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2XM3 ... FBOQ69DRI7

(It will only be up for 7 days so if you miss out just post here or PM me and I'll send you the file ^^).

Other M-Flo songs I recommend:

Astrosexy - featuring Chemistry
Miss You - featuring Melody & Yamamoto Ryohei
Let Go - featuring Yoshika
Love Bug - featuring BoA

There are plenty more, but I think those are the ones that stand out in my mind. I also of course recommend checking out M-Flo's site, he collaborates with many awesome Japanese and Korean artists. I'm not sure if he's collabed with Chinese but I'm sure there's a possibility. Also, in Korea I believe M-Flo goes by the name Verbal.

http://m-flo.com/index2.html

I had to spread the love and I hope whether you're an older fan or this will be your first time listening to any of Crystal or M-Flo's music that you'll enjoy it :)

Take care all!

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

I bought the M-Flo Astromantic album (the one linked there) on its debut day from the HMV in Shibuya. It was really worth it; I was looking forward to it coming out all year in 2004.

It's a great album, but, personally speaking, Crystal Kay's songs on it are lousy. I usually skip over them. She has a good voice solo, though, and is quite attractive (though don't get too many ideas; she only graduated high school from ASIJ last year).

The best songs on there are Miss You (M-Flo & Melody + Ryuhei), Vanessa (M-Flo & Bloodest Saxophone), Way U Move (M-Flo & Dragon Ash), and of course, Love Bug (M-Flo & BoA). Love Bug was one song I used in my senior IA thesis, by the way.

There are plenty more, but I think those are the ones that stand out in my mind. I also of course recommend checking out M-Flo's site, he collaborates with many awesome Japanese and Korean artists. I'm not sure if he's collabed with Chinese but I'm sure there's a possibility. Also, in Korea I believe M-Flo goes by the name Verbal.

Let me explain that.

M-Flo is comprised of Taku (real name, Taku Takahashi), and Verbal (real name, Ryu Yong Gi). Lisa (forgot her real name) used to be part of the group, but split before Astromantic to pursue her own things. She was one of the vocals and had a real soulful voice that was sweet and powerful at the same time (check Chronopsychology or any of their other older songs for that). During then, they did most of their work with Lisa (some with Crystal Kay), but not as much collaboration as they're into doing now.

Lisa is half-Colombian half-Japanese. Verbal is second-generation Korean but grew up in both Boston and Japan. I dunno so much about Taku's background. But their mixture and intentional American accent in their music lets them mix the rhythmic flow of American hip-hop with Japanese music. Currently, they're the best at doing that, and hence why they're my favourite group right now.

They have a new album(s) out now, Beat Space Nine (with their collaborative stuff) & Dope Space Nine (all remixes). I'm looking into buying Beat Space Nine a little later on when I have the time.

Sorry for the long-windedness, but you did bring up my favorite group. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

PrettyGirlJean
White Dragon Knight

Post by PrettyGirlJean »

Hey, I'm glad I brought it up then :) Besides, it gives me a chance to learn more while talking about one of my favorites as well ^^ I didn't know that there was a third member... I think whenever I saw the name Lisa I figured it was another collab. ^^;

Hmm, well being that you didn't care too much for Crystal's songs with M-Flo do you like any of her solo songs in particular? Any that you'd recommend?

Taku is awesome; I didn't know that was his name. He rocks in the Love Bug video! xD Speaking of which, I am interested in seeing and collecting M-flo vids, are there any resources that you can recommend? Since I don't get Japanese channels through my cable provider, the only thing I can do is download from the internet... is downloading foreign music videos illegal? I honestly don't know; I'm assuming its not since you can download most from official websites for free.

Also, are there any other asian singers and/or groups that you'd like to recommend? I'm always open to just about anything. While I favor Japanese, Korean and Chinese music, I also listen to Norweigen (Vartinna for the most part) and some Hindi although not quite as much as of late. I like a couple of Dahler Mehdni songs in particular, he's a really charismatic guy.