My Favorite Anime

Your general non-gaming entertainment thread.
Ozone
Dragonmaster
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Post by Ozone »

Lupin the 3rd is my personal favorite :D
"'There are no atheists in foxholes' isn't an argument against atheism, it's an argument against foxholes." - James Morrow
"I'll hit your head with the thunder clap, you're seeing Horus"

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

Post by Benevolent_Ghaleon »

Ozone wrote:Lupin the 3rd is my personal favorite :D
i suppose i'm too picky. i turned away from that one because i didn't like the art style.

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

I only saw one episode of one of the old Lupin the Third series (don't know which), but I enjoyed it. The art was primitive though.

I've been watching Cowboy Bebop (yeah, yeah, I know I'm late to the game) on Adult Swim and have been impressed by how beautiful some of the montage editing has been in some of the earlier episodes.

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

CN...meh. if i see something on that channel that seems to show promise then i check google video or youtube. otherwise i'd have a friend torrent it so i could watch it subbed. if it actually turns out to be watchable on CN, then that means it's probably awesome in the original form.

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

I believe we've had this subbed vs. dubbed dialogue before.

Zaskar
Nanza Bandit

Post by Zaskar »

Heh some people cant understand that some rather not have to read their TV :P losing that extra dimension (Spoken Words) is a big hit.

They act like admitting that will cause the Anime police to brake down their door and revoke their special Elite Anime Enthusiast ID Card. And we all know without that card, they cant rein over the lesser humans.

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

Werefrog wrote:I believe we've had this subbed vs. dubbed dialogue before.
not so much that. it isn't subbed vs dubbed. it's edited vs uncut. dvd's often have an english option but that doesn't change what goes on onscreen.

DezoPenguin
Red Dragon Priest

Post by DezoPenguin »

Benevolent_Ghaleon wrote:
not so much that. it isn't subbed vs dubbed. it's edited vs uncut. dvd's often have an english option but that doesn't change what goes on onscreen.
Yeah. While I understand that Japan and America have quite different ideas of what needs to be censored for what audiences and therefore foreign content may need to be edited for TV viewing (heck, domestic content has to be edited for TV viewing), in the vast majority of situations I want to see the original version. Hence, the DVD.

Zaskar
Nanza Bandit

Post by Zaskar »

DezoPenguin wrote:
Benevolent_Ghaleon wrote:
Yeah. While I understand that Japan and America have quite different ideas of what needs to be censored for what audiences and therefore foreign content may need to be edited for TV viewing (heck, domestic content has to be edited for TV viewing), in the vast majority of situations I want to see the original version. Hence, the DVD.
Yea, it is freekin horrible when you get one of those Dub companies though that is too lazy to make an uncut version (like a company that dubs for TV before planning for a DvD release) so they they never even bother dubbing in the parts they cut out for TV, and then they never get in the final DvD. Like for instance I think one of the Characvters in One Piece is supposed to have a Cigarette in his mouth for like the entire show, and im pretty sure they changed it into a freekin lollipop for the US, and that made it onto the DvD too.

Guild_Premier_Ghaleon
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Guild_Premier_Ghaleon »

I agree 100% with the fears of catastrophic dubbing. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the work that goes into it all, but the fact of the matter is, a bad job introducing an anime to the U.S. theme destroys anime of any kind. My primary example: Sailor Moon. The way they tried to americanize that made my heart hurt. Bad voice acting, bad plot changes, bad decisions all around. Example? Alot of the characters were gender swapped, such as Zoicite of the Shitennou because of his relations with Kunzite. And of course, let us not forget that they turned poor Michiru and Haruka into cousins instead of the dramatic romantic couple they are. The uneditted japanese Sailor Moon however is a work of art, which is why I get aggravated when people bash it for what they saw in the dub when they never saw the series as it was intended! And the manga is even better... I pray the dubbing for Death Note doesnt hurt, because if that brilliant series is butchered, Ima go on a rampage! I am not however anti-dub. Greg Ayres and Johnny Yong Bosch are my heroes! But it is easy to say that an imported series can easily go down the toilet... Or have the reverse effect such as the infamous Ghost Stories... ;)
"Perhaps you should demonstrate the power which gives you such confidence. Then we shall see who is fit to be supreme ruler, and who... is dead!"

Zaskar
Nanza Bandit

Post by Zaskar »

Heh, Death Note is starting with a handicap right outta the door too which is a shame if your gonna be watching in on CN (think their getting the rights for it way before DvD release too). Most people are gonna be pissed off that its on instead of Bleach (which was like 3 episodes away from the climax that they been watching like 5+ months for :P) as if its the shows fault, and not just that they needed to take a break to let the newer dubs catch up.