Top 5 favorite anime series of all time?

Your general non-gaming entertainment thread.
AlexHiro4
Black Dragon Wizard
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Top 5 favorite anime series of all time?

Post by AlexHiro4 »

Hey guys! I love finding out about different anime series I've not heard of before by asking what a person's top 5 list is, so I'm asking you guys that question. Also, I'm completely okay with including shows that are American in origin, but done in an anime style. Due to so many countries participating in animation, dubbing, etc now, it's really becoming more of a worldwide thing than a niche Japanese thing. Anyway, my personal top 5, in order, is as follows:

1) Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
2) Avatar: The Last Airbender
3) Deathnote
4) RWBY
5) Sword Art Online

What about you guys??
Dwight: "One thing about deer, they have very good vision. One thing about me, I am better at hiding than they are...at vision."

JonOU812
Red Dragon Priest

Re: Top 5 favorite anime series of all time?

Post by JonOU812 »

1. Clannad & After Story
2. Eureka Seven
3. FMA: Brotherhood
4. Full Metal Panic
5. Toradora
Check Out My Youtube Channel: YOUTUBE
Follow Me on Twitter: TWITTER
Watch Me Stream: TWITCH

Shinto-Cetra
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Shinto-Cetra »

"Anime series" as in excluding movies? And what about OVAs?

MaroonChan
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by MaroonChan »

1. Sailor Moon/ Sailor Moon Crystal
2. Fullmetal Alchemist
3. Slayers
4. Hetalia
5. Ranma 1/2

AlexHiro4
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by AlexHiro4 »

Shinto-Cetra wrote:"Anime series" as in excluding movies? And what about OVAs?
Yes, excluding movies. I'm specifically talking about TV/Web streaming anime series. As far as OVA's go, aren't they usually extra content for existing shows? Excuse my ignorance in having to ask that question. Lol.
Dwight: "One thing about deer, they have very good vision. One thing about me, I am better at hiding than they are...at vision."

AlexHiro4
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by AlexHiro4 »

JonOU812 wrote:1. Clannad & After Story
2. Eureka Seven
3. FMA: Brotherhood
4. Full Metal Panic
5. Toradora
I love this list! Eureka Seven and Full Metal Panic may not be in my top 5, but they were both shows I loved the heck out of. I especially loved EVERY instance in Full Metal Panic when Sousuke would dryly say "not a problem". It cracked me up every time. He may be the most socially awkward anime character I've ever see. Lmao.

Shinto-Cetra
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Shinto-Cetra »

AlexHiro4 wrote:
Shinto-Cetra wrote:"Anime series" as in excluding movies? And what about OVAs?
Yes, excluding movies. I'm specifically talking about TV/Web streaming anime series. As far as OVA's go, aren't they usually extra content for existing shows? Excuse my ignorance in having to ask that question. Lol.
OVA=straight to DVD/Blu-Ray (or VHS/LD/VCD/etc for some real old stuff.)

Anyway, I've decided to include only what followed the 25~ episode minute format, TV-aired or not. Movie wise it's mostly Ghbili films for me...Anyway!

1 Revolutionary Girl Utena. Feminism: The Anime. Amazing soundtrack, insane but well done plot, likable characters, romance and angst, deconstruction of gender roles, surrealism to the max. Long before the Legend of Korra, Utena and Anthy (maybe Wakaba can come too :-)) had a same-sex relationship, and it was much more believable and realistically paced too. I liked all the characters, even ones who are deplorable at first like Saionji get more interesting and sympathetic as the show progresses. The duels and dueling themes are so epic! I liked the fairy tale deconstruction of Utena becoming a Prince to save princesses, usually not the other way around. And the surrealism isn't just plot related, there are also the gag episodes that never felt like filler. Nanami's egg (which is silly AND symbolic), the one where Utena and Anthy switch bodies cause of a spicy curry explosion...Kunihiko Ikuhara is a maestro.

2 Record of Lodoss War (13 ep OVA, NOT Chronicles of the Heroic Knight TV series.) Despite comparisons with Lord of the Rings, excluding books it actually predates LOTR. And aside from the comparisons with their abandoned dwarven mine episodes, they are really only superficially similar. Ryo Mizuno may have created Lodoss franchise, but from what I've read and heard of the recently translated Lodoss novel, I think many changes were for the better. Deedlit is one of my Waifus :D . I like the environmentalism she preaches, plus she and Parn do make a cute couple. Also the world building and lore of it are top notch. Many still scenes from Lodoss could be landscapes on their own...aside from Miyazaki movies, there aren't many anime I can say that about.

3 Mahwaru Penguindrum. I said Kunihiko Ikuhara was a maestro, didn't I? Penguindrum is to family and destiny what Utena was to Gender roles. I rank it lower than Utena simply because the score (especially the Duel themes of Utena) are better than the idol music of Penguindrum, though the fact that I enjoyed an idol soundtrack at all is remarkable. I really like the family dynamic of Himari, Kanba and Shoma. Like Utena it is very surreal both in seriousness and comedy. Props to Ikuhara to including a fictionalized version of the Aum Shinriyiko sarin gas attacks, and doing it tastefully.

4 Cowboy Bebop. This anime needs no introduction, but if you really don't know, it's a space trucker series/bounty hunter series that gets existential. Spike and Jet start off just trying to make a living, but as the show progresses, one learns more and more about everyone's past. Spike in particular has quite the tragic backstory. But then there are the silly episodes, the mushroom one being my personal favorite. Yoko Kanno's music, Watanabe's direction, the world building of how things got this way in space, and Steve Blum as Spike are just a few standouts.

5 Ruruoni Kenshin (seasons 1-2 only.) This was my first anime ever, and still is one of my favorite period pieces. The sword techniques are rooted in physics but seem kinda ridiculous but still are insanely cool. Also the fact that it's a shonen anime that's not afraid to discuss political themes was really well-done. Thank you Nobuhiro Watsuki, for NOT making Yahiko the stereotypical bratty angry protagonist. Kenshin as a protagonist is seemingly young but is actually in his early 20's and silly and aloof. Also the debates that precede the fights are amazing and make it more than just and action show. Kenshin vs Saito and Kenshin vs Shishio stand out in particular. I like the semi-traditional Meiji-era Japanese aesthetic. Season 3 doesn't count because it's all filler, and bad filler at that.

AlexHiro4
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by AlexHiro4 »

Shinto-Cetra wrote:

Anyway, I've decided to include only what followed the 25~ episode minute format, TV-aired or not. Movie wise it's mostly Ghbili films for me...Anyway!

1 Revolutionary Girl Utena. Feminism: The Anime. Amazing soundtrack, insane but well done plot, likable characters, romance and angst, deconstruction of gender roles, surrealism to the max. Long before the Legend of Korra, Utena and Anthy (maybe Wakaba can come too :-)) had a same-sex relationship, and it was much more believable and realistically paced too. I liked all the characters, even ones who are deplorable at first like Saionji get more interesting and sympathetic as the show progresses. The duels and dueling themes are so epic! I liked the fairy tale deconstruction of Utena becoming a Prince to save princesses, usually not the other way around. And the surrealism isn't just plot related, there are also the gag episodes that never felt like filler. Nanami's egg (which is silly AND symbolic), the one where Utena and Anthy switch bodies cause of a spicy curry explosion...Kunihiko Ikuhara is a maestro.

2 Record of Lodoss War (13 ep OVA, NOT Chronicles of the Heroic Knight TV series.) Despite comparisons with Lord of the Rings, excluding books it actually predates LOTR. And aside from the comparisons with their abandoned dwarven mine episodes, they are really only superficially similar. Ryo Mizuno may have created Lodoss franchise, but from what I've read and heard of the recently translated Lodoss novel, I think many changes were for the better. Deedlit is one of my Waifus :D . I like the environmentalism she preaches, plus she and Parn do make a cute couple. Also the world building and lore of it are top notch. Many still scenes from Lodoss could be landscapes on their own...aside from Miyazaki movies, there aren't many anime I can say that about.

3 Mahwaru Penguindrum. I said Kunihiko Ikuhara was a maestro, didn't I? Penguindrum is to family and destiny what Utena was to Gender roles. I rank it lower than Utena simply because the score (especially the Duel themes of Utena) are better than the idol music of Penguindrum, though the fact that I enjoyed an idol soundtrack at all is remarkable. I really like the family dynamic of Himari, Kanba and Shoma. Like Utena it is very surreal both in seriousness and comedy. Props to Ikuhara to including a fictionalized version of the Aum Shinriyiko sarin gas attacks, and doing it tastefully.

4 Cowboy Bebop. This anime needs no introduction, but if you really don't know, it's a space trucker series/bounty hunter series that gets existential. Spike and Jet start off just trying to make a living, but as the show progresses, one learns more and more about everyone's past. Spike in particular has quite the tragic backstory. But then there are the silly episodes, the mushroom one being my personal favorite. Yoko Kanno's music, Watanabe's direction, the world building of how things got this way in space, and Steve Blum as Spike are just a few standouts.

5 Ruruoni Kenshin (seasons 1-2 only.) This was my first anime ever, and still is one of my favorite period pieces. The sword techniques are rooted in physics but seem kinda ridiculous but still are insanely cool. Also the fact that it's a shonen anime that's not afraid to discuss political themes was really well-done. Thank you Nobuhiro Watsuki, for NOT making Yahiko the stereotypical bratty angry protagonist. Kenshin as a protagonist is seemingly young but is actually in his early 20's and silly and aloof. Also the debates that precede the fights are amazing and make it more than just and action show. Kenshin vs Saito and Kenshin vs Shishio stand out in particular. I like the semi-traditional Meiji-era Japanese aesthetic. Season 3 doesn't count because it's all filler, and bad filler at that.
I'm not familiar with 1, 3, and 5, but I've definitely watched 2 & 4. If I extended my list out to a top 10 list, I would absolutely include Cowboy Bebop, and my buddy Jon showed me Record of Lodoss War several years ago. I really enjoyed it too, but he definitely loves it more than me because it was the first anime he ever watched. Anyone's first anime tends to hold a special place in the heart. Wolf's Rain was that for me, and apparently Ruruoni Kenshin was that for you. Granted, Wolf's Rain doesn't crack my top 5, but it's still near and dear to my heart.

Anyway, great list! I love the descriptions too!

Shinto-Cetra
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Shinto-Cetra »

AlexHiro4 wrote:
Shinto-Cetra wrote:

I'm not familiar with 1, 3, and 5, but I've definitely watched 2 & 4. If I extended my list out to a top 10 list, I would absolutely include Cowboy Bebop, and my buddy Jon showed me Record of Lodoss War several years ago. I really enjoyed it too, but he definitely loves it more than me because it was the first anime he ever watched. Anyone's first anime tends to hold a special place in the heart. Wolf's Rain was that for me, and apparently Ruruoni Kenshin was that for you. Granted, Wolf's Rain doesn't crack my top 5, but it's still near and dear to my heart.

Anyway, great list! I love the descriptions too!
I also loved Wolf's Rain but like you it doesn't makes my top 5. It has some very nice spiritual themes. Prior to having a Ghaleon complex I had a Darcia complex :lol: Also, self-correction: Kenshin is in his early 30's, not 20's.

ShugoHanasaki
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by ShugoHanasaki »

I don't think I have a top 5 as I don't really watch much anime anymore. However...

Death Note & Gravitation are two of my all time favorites.
Lotus Moon Productions
- Podcasts on Independent Music Artists & Wrestling -

https://soundcloud.com/lotusmoonproductions

Greyoutt
Meryod Yokel

Post by Greyoutt »

I have too many! Though I guess these are the ones I like the most, in no particular order.

1. .hack//SIGN or .hack//ROOTS

2. Digimon Tamers

3. My Hero Academia

4. Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron Blooded Orphans

5. Yu Yu Hakusho

RandomNPC
Burg Farmer

Post by RandomNPC »

1. Neon Genesis Evangelion
2. Berserk
3. Cowboy Bebop
4. One Punch Man
5. Another
I actually just saw Cowboy Bebop for the first time over the past week or two, and fell in love with it.
There's a few I could swap in and out depending on my mood, but the top 2 will always be the same.