Legend of Korra (spoilers allowed, up to the latest episode)

Your general non-gaming entertainment thread.
Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Legend of Korra (spoilers allowed, up to the latest episode)

Post by Kizyr »

So... I'm gonna start up a thread here on the most amazing animated series ever to hit television. If you haven't watched it yet, then here:
Legend of Korra
(go to Videos > Full Episodes -- they're on a week delay, so you may need to watch the last episode by other means)

Watched them yet? Good. So let me set some ground rules here:
- No spoiling events that haven't aired on TV yet
- Speculation on future events/theories are totally welcome
- You don't have to agree that this is the best thing on television to post, but it helps
- Shipping is okay as long as you acknowledge that Korra and Bolin are totally meant for one another
(...ok those last two are just suggestions more than rules)

Right now. Who else is watching this? KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Re: Legend of Korra (spoilers allowed, up to the latest epis

Post by Werefrog »

I like it a lot! I'm trying really hard to watch it from beginning to end (and then maybe doing the same with Avatar) since my viewing of Avatar was fragmented due to going off to college and not having Nick.

I know it's just a kid's show, but it so well done. The animation is gorgeous. The music fits very well, and the plot (probably a step-up from the original Avatar imo) is entertaining.

A few thoughts:
1) Am I the only one who thinks the people responsible for the score must have watched Baccano before making the music? I know it fits with the turn of the last century vibe, but it still seems too close to not have been an influenced by Baccano. Maybe it's just me though.
2) There has been speculation on the AV Club forums (BTW I comment on there [mostly on sitcom reviews] if anyone else on here does. My username is Doctorwhosonfirst) that a main character will die. I don't see it happenning. I think if there is any major stake-raising event affecting the group a main character will lose their bending.
3) And... what about how Amon is taking the bending? What's the mechanism behind it? Is it really energy bending? Or is it just technological trickery (which seems to be Amon's M.O.)? I think Tenzin is the logical choice for a character to lose his bending as he's the only one who can teach Korra. But if it's truly energy bending it seems like he would be able to defeat Amon's spirit easily.
4) Why is Amon masked? Either he is really disfigured like he claims or his identity is being hidden intentionally.

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

Guys, the last two episodes of the show were awesome, and I need to talk about them with someone. The only problem is the only people I see on a regular basis are librarians who are over fifty. So, come on Internet people, talk with me!

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

I'm still trying to put into words how absolutely amazing they were! Apologies if this is a bit rambling...

Ok, so first you have steampunk mech battles versus elemental benders -- and we get to see offensive air bending! Tenzin just got 100x more awesome in that episode; I didn't think that could happen (Tenzin is just my favorite non-protagonist character). Oh and the reveal about Sato and all was... disheartening... I really liked Sato!

Then the next episode... One thing I heard off another forum was how they basically gave the fans what we were expecting at first, with putting everyone together into a new "Team Avatar" -- since everyone's already been mentally making the connection between each of the characters here and the ones in the original series. Then... they get one night of rolling out on an adventure before they get in over their heads and everything falls apart.

Oh... oh... and the flashbacks in the latest episode! Seeing bloodbending again! Then with both Amon and Tarlakk being "bad guys" so I don't know who I wanted to win when they faced off! And how can Amon resist bending like that?

Ok I think that's all I can say coherently right now... KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

Kizyr wrote: Oh... oh... and the flashbacks in the latest episode! Seeing bloodbending again! Then with both Amon and Tarlakk being "bad guys" so I don't know who I wanted to win when they faced off! And how can Amon resist bending like that?
Oh, I was definitely rooting for Amon. Tarrlok (I still have no idea how to spell that name) definitely had it coming. Amon may be bad, but I at least can understand his motivation and somewhat respect it (although I don't approve of his methods). Tarrlock on the other hand was just power hungry, and it was fitting for him to lose his power.

As for Amon being able to resist blood bending, my first thought was Amon has no blood. A current theory going around on the AV Club is that Amon actually is a spirit making mischief in the material world. Tarlock couldn't bloodbend him because he has no physical body.

Did you catch the preview at the end of the episode?  It shows Amon's mask over the statue of Avatar Aang, leading some to believe Amon may be Aang's spirit or a second Avatar reincarnation or Aang himself (oh yeah, in this theory he's not really dead) or Zuko... seriously the theories just go on and on.

Oh, and could a metalbender become a bloodbender by bending the iron in the blood?

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

ZOMG HE'S BACK!!!
Well. Sort of.

Ok, re: the previous episodes... I figure Amon's a top-notch chi-bender, so he has heightened resistance to any sort of bending-based attack -- particularly one that tries to bend what's within his own body. I don't think he's a spirit... they generally can't hang around in physical form for that long.

Also, I don't think bending iron in the blood would work. For starters, there's just not enough of it (whereas your cells are like 90% water content -- I figure "bloodbending" is just the name for using that water inside all living things to manipulate). Second, my theory has always been that metal-bending is really bending the impurities found in any metal -- which is why they can't bend the solid steel that Sato's mechs are made out of. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

The moral of today's episode in my opinion is that airbending is pretty badass. We had Tenzin fighting off his captors, evacuating a room full of people in a room full of poisonous, and the airbending kids fighting off chi-blockers.

Moral two: That lady [Lin Beifong] is my hero.

That was an amazing episode again. I can't wait to see how they wrap this up.

An interesting theory I read on the Internet about Lin and Tenzin, Lin and Tenzin broke up because Lin couldn't have children. Lin is so protective of Tenzin's kids because they represent both the kids they never and if something happens to them, it would mean that they broke up for no reason.

So General Iroh, huh? Can't wait to see Zuko's grandson in action.

Arlia
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Arlia »

I've heard of LOK for one reason: the ferret. It clogs up a few searches here and there.

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

It's a Fire Ferret.

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

EVERYONE LOVES PABU! KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

Awesome news! I won't be missing the Legend of Korra finale this week because where I'm moving will have Nickelodeon!

Oh, also, I'm going back to school to get my graduate degree.

brit
White Dragon Knight

Post by brit »

Wow, I totally missed this thread completely. D; I loved the Legend of Korra as a whole. Though I do think it could’ve been better with timing and what not. I just seemed so rushed compared to the original series.

3DS | 3652-1775-0152
PSN | Psychobrit08
SWITCH | SW-1497-7723-9594

** please let me know if you add me **

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

Yeah, I thought it was pretty great. Can't wait to see what the next season has in store. The shortened season was somewhat detrimental. The original series was almost perfectly paced from what I saw. I still need to get back and watch it all of Avatar.

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

Anyone still watching this?

I have been and have been enjoying it. Pacing is still bad. The two-parter a few weeks back on the origin of the avatar was great though.

brit
White Dragon Knight

Post by brit »

I did watch it all the way up to the origin episodes, but I'm behind on finishing the season. :/ I keep telling myself I'll get around to it, but then I just don't.

3DS | 3652-1775-0152
PSN | Psychobrit08
SWITCH | SW-1497-7723-9594

** please let me know if you add me **

Shinto-Cetra
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Shinto-Cetra »

Anyone watch Book 3? I liked it better than book 2, as Korra wasn't moody for no reason, and there were fewer plotholes. Not to mention the Red Lotus had some redeeming features.

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

I just finished watching it yesterday. Oh man, it was really, really enjoyable.

There's too much to say about it right now (I'm short on time), but I'll mention that I agree that the villains this season were much more fascinating than the last two seasons, and overall the plot(s) were much more engaging and fascinating. I still liked all three seasons very much, but the last few episodes especially stood out. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

It was pretty great. This season was the first time I feel like they actually accomplished integrating modern themes into the Avatar setting.

Shinto-Cetra
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Shinto-Cetra »

So what do you all think of Book 4 so far? I sort of like Kuvira, but Red Lotus were better IMO. Amon, Unalaq, and Kuvira all wanted/want absolute power, but the Red Lotus wanted to destroy political power itself, which was a nice change. Also, I'm not as into Korra this season so far. When the show first started, I liked how Korra was willing to get angry, even get revenge (ie she tried to kill Zaheer to avenge Tonraq), etc. I liked her better than Aang for this reason. But now she's mellowed out too much. Also, dramatic pseudo-symbolic hair cutting scenes annoy me in general (unless it serves a purpose like in Mulan where she had to pretend to be a man.)

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

I'm still enjoying it quite a bit! The Red Lotus was a better enemy, but I like Kuvira too. I think Toph's advice for Korra to look for the good in her former enemies was really interesting. The Korra PTSD plot is pretty great. I love that a cartoon is willing to approach this.

Korra may have over-corrected a bit. But keep in mind, the title of the Book is Balance.