The Avengers.

Your general non-gaming entertainment thread.
LunarRaptor
Black Dragon Wizard
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

The Avengers.

Post by LunarRaptor »

BEST. POPCORN. FLICK. EVA!!! Seriously, see this movie. I can't really talk too much about it because this is an easy one to spoil. I could write up an review of it in spoiler tags, but it'd just be paragraphs of me gushing about it's sheer awesomeness. The writing, the directing, the acting, everything hit all the right marks for this kind of movie. This is a super hero film I've been waiting for since they became profitable for Hollywood to make.
"All you have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf the Gray

whitedragon_nall
Black Dragon Wizard

Re: The Avengers.

Post by whitedragon_nall »

Couldn't agree more! Saw this yesterday and absolutely loved it! Amazing film and IMO, the best superhero film ever.

Kaiya-Sky
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Kaiya-Sky »

Dragged my Boyfriend to it on Saturday, We both enjoyed it very much. Luckily we got to see it in 2D.

Shiva Indis
White Dragon Knight

Post by Shiva Indis »

I expected it would be entertaining. I didn't expect that I would like it as much as I did. Laugh out loud funny, it really pulled me in, and it seems like it will pave the way for many comic book movies to come.
「まあいいけど。」

Ardent Fox
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Ardent Fox »

Let's get one thing straight, I loved Avengers. I thought it was an amazing super hero movie. But it's more than just that, right? Let's look at it this way. Marvel Studios has just done something many thought impossible, and they've done it well. With both Iron Man movies, The Incredible Hulk, Thor and Captain America they have managed to make their own film universe. They have created something over five movies that now appears in one. All these characters coming into their own in one big movie. It's an amazing feat, not to mention the undertaking. It's all about the continuity, and if there's one thing comic book fans love, it's their continuity.

Seriously, think about that. Avengers is one of the most important films of our generation, and you just got to witness it.

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

I really enjoyed it. I'm still digesting. It's got a lot going on in it. It's got action, really good characterization, quippy (but not just quippy) dialogue, and it does both collaboration and discord really well. It's also not afraid to be a little goofy with the action  like with the Hulk and Loki.
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

LunarRaptor
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by LunarRaptor »

Wow. I'm actually amazed by the unanomous vote here. Everywhere else, I've been met with a lukewarm response to this movie at best. It figures that Lunar fans would actually have good taste.

Oh yes, the Loki and Hulk scene is the best in the film. Well, one of many best.
"All you have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf the Gray

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

Going tonight after work!

LuNaRtIc
Bromide Hunter

Post by LuNaRtIc »

I liked it a lot and plan on seeing it again. A friend of mine told me that there are two extra scenes at the end?
I saw the first one, but I didn't see the second. Apparently, it's hilarious? (Dying to know now! lol)
「美しい白い竜 愛しい白い竜…」
My avatar art was done by luleiya! <3

Kaiya-Sky
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Kaiya-Sky »

LuNaRtIc wrote:I liked it a lot and plan on seeing it again. A friend of mine told me that there are two extra scenes at the end?
I saw the first one, but I didn't see the second. Apparently, it's hilarious? (Dying to know now! lol)
My dad use to make me sit until the very end of every movie we went to. Knowing that they did secret ending with all the other movies i made my boyfriend stay, and we where the only ones that did stay until the very end, they employees where cleaning around us.

SoupCandy
Saith Pirate

Post by SoupCandy »

Just gonna jump in here and say, hoh man.

I am not a fan of Cap, hate the Hulk, and can't stand Black Widow... Until this movie. Everything was so right. I'm planning to watch it again very soon and get the DVD when it comes out.

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

LOVED IT! Every single bit of it. I've been anticipating this movie since Iron Man came out along with the news that this movie was the ultimate goal of all the other movies. Sure I had my reservations, would any character be sidelined more than the others? But it seemed that everyone had an equal and important part to play. So it seemed as if it was perfect.

We caught the first post-credit ending, missed the second one (my mistake since I made the call to leave). Horrible. I'm going to buy this movie I think; which is pretty impressive considering that I haven't bought a movie in a long while.

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

I liked it. I think I would have liked it a lot more if I had seen the Iron Man movies and Thor. It is pretty cool though how they created a universe across franchises. This is one element that has always been lacking from comic book movies.

There was definitely a lot going on in the movie, but it didn't feel crowded. The pacing was good as was the dialogue (no surprises with Joss Whedon doing the writing).

Probably my favorite superhero movie in years. I'm curious if DC will try to do the same with the Justice League.

Dark_Fairy
White Dragon Knight

Post by Dark_Fairy »

I absolutely loved this movie (just saw it today in 3D)! Shame on me, I've only seen part of the first Iron Man movie. I have not seen the rest of the movies that came before this movie. I definitely want to see Thor now. XD

But geez! This movie was just full of awesome. I loved all the fight scenes, and I loved the occasional humor. I am so glad this was not only an awesome movie, but that it was the first movie I've seen in 3D.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

I was getting sick of superhero movies. Then someone pointed out that Joss Whedon wrote/directed this one, so I decided to give it a shot.

...it was pretty amazing. That's rare. Tons of incredibly fun action, a cast of established characters that still managed to be fascinating to watch, great pacing... everything about it was perfect. I even wish it were a little bit longer -- which is incredibly rare for an action movie.

And Bruce Banner having an eminently quotable line was a nice plus. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

Kizyr wrote: And Bruce Banner having an eminently quotable line was a nice plus. KF
Is the line:  That's the secret: I'm always angry.? I thought that was a good line, but I don't know exactly how that works.

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

He certainly had a few really memorable moments, including that quote and when he  smashes Loki like a ragdoll and says, "Puny God."
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

Oh yeah. That got quite a laugh at my theater.

LuNaRtIc
Bromide Hunter

Post by LuNaRtIc »

Werefrog wrote:
Kizyr wrote: And Bruce Banner having an eminently quotable line was a nice plus. KF
I thought that was a good line, but I don't know exactly how that works.
I was wondering about this too.  Was it just a confusing way to say that he learned how to control his anger or channel it so that he could unleash Hulk whenever he wanted? I don't know...

Also, I really like how fair Joss was to all the heroes in this film. I felt that they all had a large amount of screen time and no one was set aside. None of them outshone one another. :)
Oh, and another spoiler for this film and possibly the next Avengers film...
 This is a rumor regarding Agent Coulson
I've heard a lot of banter between fans that he didn't die may be coming back as The Vision. There are some hints throughout the film and in the individual Avenger movies.
I'm not a very knowledgeable comic book fan, so what is the likelihood of this being true?
「美しい白い竜 愛しい白い竜…」
My avatar art was done by luleiya! <3

SoupCandy
Saith Pirate

Post by SoupCandy »

Heard that rumor. I'd say it has a lot of credence. Good chance of it, and honestly, I'd love it.