The Avengers.

Your general non-gaming entertainment thread.
Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Re: The Avengers.

Post by Kizyr »

LuNaRtIc wrote:
Werefrog wrote:
Kizyr wrote:And Bruce Banner having an eminently quotable line was a nice plus. KF
I thought that was a good line, but I don't know exactly how that works.
I was wondering about this too.  Was it just a confusing way to say that he learned how to control his anger or channel it so that he could unleash Hulk whenever he wanted? I don't know...
That's the line I was referring to, yes. Lemme say how I interpret it and why it kind of resonates...
 In plain terms... If Banner tries to suppress his anger entirely (as most people assume he does), then he never learns to manage it -- one day something will make him angry to the point where he can't suppress it any longer. If he tries to run from things that make him upset (which is why people thought he ran to India), then he never learns to deal with it. And if he fears his anger, well, then it will always get the better of him. But if he allows himself always to feel anger, just a little bit, then it becomes a part of Banner (of him, not Hulk) and he can keep it in constant check and never let it surprise him.

I view it like the pilot light in a furnace. You never want it to go out completely. Instead, you want a small flame, so that when the time comes you can let it flare up, and the rest of the time you can keep it small and managed.

For more on this I gotta suggest FILM CRIT HULK's review of Ruffalo's performance and the portrayal of Bruce Banner in the movie here:
http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/c ... -hulk.html

Here's the most relevant part (though you should read the whole REVIEW):
FILM CRIT HULK wrote:OVER THE COURSE OF THE FILM HE CONSTANTLY REFERS TO HIS BIG GREEN PERSONALITY AS “THE OTHER GUY.”  AT FIRST WE THINK IT’S ONE OF THOSE STANDARD DISSOCIATIVE TECHNIQUES. WE ASSUME THIS IS MOTIVATED BY SIMPLE FEAR, FEAR THAT WE WILL GROW ANGRY AND COME TO HURT PEOPLE. BUT REALLY THIS DISSOCIATION IS ABOUT MAINTAINING HIS “SECRET,” WHICH IS THE VERY TRUTH ABOUT HOW HE STAYS IN CONTROL AND STOPS HIMSELF FROM GETTING TOO ANGRY.

AND THEN WE LEARN THE OBVIOUS TRUTH: HE’S ALWAYS ANGRY.

AND AS SUCH, WE LEARN THAT BANNER CAN CALL OUT HIS HULK AT A MOMENT’S NOTICE. WHICH, IN THIS HULK’S OPINION, IS A WONDERFUL EVOLUTION OF THE CHARACTER. IT SPEAKS TO THE IDEA THAT OUR EMOTIONS ARE SOMETHING THAT ALWAYS PRESENT. ANGER CAN’T BE ABSTAINED FROM. IT CANNOT BE FEARED. ANGER IS SIMPLY AN EVER-PRESENT PART OF US, JUST AS MUCH AS JOY, SADNESS, OR EVEN SOMETHING INSTINCTUAL LIKE HUNGER. IT IS SOMETHING THAT IS JUST FELT. AND HULK BELIEVES THIS IS PRECISELY WHERE “THE CRUEL JOKE” COMES INTO PLAY. FOR YEARS, BANNER BATTLED HIS OWN MIND AND MERELY TURNED OUT THAT FEAR OF HIS OWN ANGER WAS A TRAP. REALLY, HE HAD TO UNDERSTAND IT. TO RECOGNIZE IT AND ACCEPT IT. AND THAT’S PRECISELY WHAT BROUGHT GENUINE CONTROL. THE WHOLE THING SEEMS LIKE A CONTRADICTION, BUT NO MORE A CONTRADICTION THAN THE IDEA THAT UNLEASHING “THE OTHER GUY” CAN BE THE VERY THING THAT MAKES HIS HULK HEROIC.
~Kizyr (they|them)