The Hunger Games

Your general non-gaming entertainment thread.
GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

The Hunger Games

Post by GhaleonOne »

Surprised there isn't a topic on this yet. Has anyone else seen it? During my California trip, one of the girls I went with was reading through the first two books and talking about how amazing they were. I knew the movie was coming so I went to the midnight showing with her last week. I was pretty blown away by it. I was exhausted and usually have a hard time mentally staying with a movie that late when I'm that tired, but I was totally into it from beginning to end. The pacing, story, characters, acting, etc. was great to me. Admittedly I don't dislike a lot of movies, but this was an exceptional one to me. One of the best I've seen in a few years. I've started reading the book today, so we'll see what I think of the movie after I finish the book, but as of now, I loved it.
-G1

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Re: The Hunger Games

Post by phyco126 »

Everyone I know who've seen it claims it is a very good movie and a good match to the book. I haven't seen it yet, but I've wanted to since I heard of it coming out.

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

WhiteKnightLeo
Red Dragon Priest

Post by WhiteKnightLeo »

My girlfriend was utterly disgusted with almost the entire movie. We went to see it the other night,I thought it was good because I didn't know anything about it. She said that the character development was downright crap compared to the book and made that Pitta guy look like a pansy. She also said there was some important stuff they left out and that the final scene isn't really what happened ( probably to keep the pg-13 rating).
-WKL-

CatsWithMatches
Red Dragon Priest

Post by CatsWithMatches »

I just finished the book series. It is one of the most engrossing and emotionally taxing book series I've ever read. Katniss really gets inside your head.

Movie is great too. one of the best book to movie translations I've seen, and the acting is fantastic.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

I found the movie was absolutely fantastic. I didn't know anything about The Hunger Games other than the basic premise (Roman Empire-themed totalitarian government, Battle Royale-styled bread and circuses, that kind of thing) and I figured it'd be a fun action movie.

Then they spent a lot of time developing the characters and environment, which I didn't expect, but I absolutely love the fact that they did it. ...so, I didn't expect that level of development, and I didn't expect to start crying at that one scene...

Everyone I know who's read the books says it's an excellent book-to-screen transition. Given that, once I have time, I'm going to have to read the entire trilogy -- probably by the time the next film comes out.

BTW I wish I'd known about Seneca's Beard before watching. I just shaved my beard the morning that me and my sister went to see it, and I could've pulled off having that same style (and clothes) for at least a day. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

CatsWithMatches
Red Dragon Priest

Post by CatsWithMatches »

[quote="Kizyr"I didn't expect to start crying at that one scene...[/quote]

You mean the flowers? (*no spoilers*)

Kaiya-Sky
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Kaiya-Sky »

I've never herd of the book or the movie, apparently I live in a cave. I Just started seeing the name pop up here and there with the logo, but never got around to looking it up. I've read a few things about it now, still don't know what its about just that its similar to battle royal in away? I'm thinking about watching it but not in the theater.