Last Anime?

Your general non-gaming entertainment thread.
LuNaRtIc
Bromide Hunter
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Re: Last Anime?

Post by LuNaRtIc »

Can't recall the last anime I watched, but I know for a fact I'm going to watch this baby in its entirety when it airs! ;A; <3

I grew up with Digimon and it (just like Lunar) will always hold a special place in my heart. It's definitely one of my favorite animes of all time. It warms my heart and makes me all stupid emotional seeing that the original characters are getting another season. I can't wait, I'm so excited for Digimon Adventure Tri!! :D
「美しい白い竜 愛しい白い竜…」
My avatar art was done by luleiya! <3

JonOU812
Red Dragon Priest

Post by JonOU812 »

LuNaRtIc wrote:
I grew up with Digimon and it (just like Lunar) will always hold a special place in my heart. It's definitely one of my favorite animes of all time. It warms my heart and makes me all stupid emotional seeing that the original characters are getting another season. I can't wait, I'm so excited for Digimon Adventure Tri!! :D
Yeah Digimon was pretty good, at least up to the 3rd season maybe 4th.
Check Out My Youtube Channel: YOUTUBE
Follow Me on Twitter: TWITTER
Watch Me Stream: TWITCH

LuNaRtIc
Bromide Hunter

Post by LuNaRtIc »

I must admit, I haven't seen the 3rd or 4th season! I was in protest because I loved the original cast so much! lol ;) From what I gather, the 3rd season has a pretty solid fan base, people seem to really like it. 4th season I don't hear too much about... I did watch the 5th season! It wasn't too bad. :)
「美しい白い竜 愛しい白い竜…」

Leo
BANNED

Post by Leo »

LuNaRtIc wrote:I must admit, I haven't seen the 3rd or 4th season! I was in protest because I loved the original cast so much! lol ;) From what I gather, the 3rd season has a pretty solid fan base, people seem to really like it. 4th season I don't hear too much about... I did watch the 5th season! It wasn't too bad. :)
How can you stand to do that with ANYTHING? I have to watch/play things in order and cannot skip around.

LuNaRtIc
Bromide Hunter

Post by LuNaRtIc »

Leo wrote:How can you stand to do that with ANYTHING? I have to watch/play things in order and cannot skip around.
Normally, I would be in the same boat as you Leo! However, with the Digimon franchise, seasons three through six have all been completely new characters and story lines. Each season introduces a different plot, they don't build on previous seasons. Even the way the kids interact with their Digimon and have them "battle" tends to be reinvented with each installment. Season three was such a departure from the first two seasons (which maintained the same cast and world) that as a kid, I couldn't watch it! lol At the time, I was really upset and disappointed, I wanted to continue the show with the original characters. Looking back though, I'm really glad that they change Digimon up every season now. Otherwise, it may have turned out to be something like Pokemon, where 18 seasons in, we're still following around a 10-year-old Ash doing relatively the same thing. ;)

This year marks the 15th anniversary of the Digimon anime. So in celebration, season seven is a return to the original characters and plot, and my inner eleven-year-old couldn't be more thrilled! ;)
「美しい白い竜 愛しい白い竜…」

Ardent Fox
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Ardent Fox »

I think the last one I saw had androgynous teenagers in it with giant swords and a talking animal of some description.

Leo
BANNED

Post by Leo »

LuNaRtIc wrote:
Leo wrote:How can you stand to do that with ANYTHING? I have to watch/play things in order and cannot skip around.
Normally, I would be in the same boat as you Leo! However, with the Digimon franchise, seasons three through six have all been completely new characters and story lines. Each season introduces a different plot, they don't build on previous seasons. Even the way the kids interact with their Digimon and have them "battle" tends to be reinvented with each installment. Season three was such a departure from the first two seasons (which maintained the same cast and world) that as a kid, I couldn't watch it! lol At the time, I was really upset and disappointed, I wanted to continue the show with the original characters. Looking back though, I'm really glad that they change Digimon up every season now. Otherwise, it may have turned out to be something like Pokemon, where 18 seasons in, we're still following around a 10-year-old Ash doing relatively the same thing. ;)

This year marks the 15th anniversary of the Digimon anime. So in celebration, season seven is a return to the original characters and plot, and my inner eleven-year-old couldn't be more thrilled! ;)
I'm surprised to hear of a show doing a Final Fantasy kind of thing with the seasons so you aren't obligated to follow it from the episode 1 season 1. That's pretty cool.
Ardent Fox wrote:I think the last one I saw had androgynous teenagers in it with giant swords and a talking animal of some description.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... W61vk8#t=5

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

nadiaff wrote:Most of it didn't really stand out, but the last one I watched, Anohana: The Flower We Saw That Day was actually quite good. Even if you are kind of jaded about the animes (I am looking at you Kizyr), I recommend watching a few episodes and seeing if you like it. It feels more like something written by Yoshimoto Banana than an anime (although her writing has been compared to being more like comic books than literature.) Anyway, it was sweet and a I liked the characters and the music.
Ok I'll have to keep that in mind then {^^}.

BTW... one thing I was always worried would happen like 17 years ago when I started studying Japanese kind of did happen, which is that the more I understood it, the less I liked j-pop and anime. Ok, there is still some j-pop and anime that I like (though it's kind of been replaced with other music genres and, like, live action drama), but it's nothing like the "I will watch anything animated" mode I was in back in high school. I don't know if these days my jaded-ness is because of that or just because I'm like, miserable and old and hate fun.

...I was sort of wondering if you had the same thing happen actually. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Mog Dragonheart
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Mog Dragonheart »

Kizyr wrote:
nadiaff wrote:Most of it didn't really stand out, but the last one I watched, Anohana: The Flower We Saw That Day was actually quite good. Even if you are kind of jaded about the animes (I am looking at you Kizyr), I recommend watching a few episodes and seeing if you like it. It feels more like something written by Yoshimoto Banana than an anime (although her writing has been compared to being more like comic books than literature.) Anyway, it was sweet and a I liked the characters and the music.
Ok I'll have to keep that in mind then {^^}.

BTW... one thing I was always worried would happen like 17 years ago when I started studying Japanese kind of did happen, which is that the more I understood it, the less I liked j-pop and anime. Ok, there is still some j-pop and anime that I like (though it's kind of been replaced with other music genres and, like, live action drama), but it's nothing like the "I will watch anything animated" mode I was in back in high school. I don't know if these days my jaded-ness is because of that or just because I'm like, miserable and old and hate fun.

...I was sort of wondering if you had the same thing happen actually. KF
I think it's a little of both. Personally, it took me a long time to tell my brain to just shut up and take it in for what it's worth. I still see plenty of suck out there but I'm enjoying the good stuff far since way back in the early 2000's. Studio's are churning out good -Dragon Diamond- on a yearly basis. Right now, I'm currently digging anime that's filling the void of quality console RPGs in my soul like kingdom, Nanatsu no Taizai or Maoyu Maou Yuusha. I'm surprised you like jdramas right now.. anything in particular or atleast in the last 3 years?

Mog Dragonheart
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Mog Dragonheart »

Barakamon - Surprisingly awesome, fun slice of life anime with a relatable life lessons. Short series.

Ben-To - Fun, pointless anime about fighting for discount bento at convenience stores. Short series.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Mog Dragonheart wrote:I think it's a little of both. Personally, it took me a long time to tell my brain to just shut up and take it in for what it's worth. I still see plenty of suck out there but I'm enjoying the good stuff far since way back in the early 2000's. Studio's are churning out good -Dragon Diamond- on a yearly basis. Right now, I'm currently digging anime that's filling the void of quality console RPGs in my soul like kingdom, Nanatsu no Taizai or Maoyu Maou Yuusha. I'm surprised you like jdramas right now.. anything in particular or atleast in the last 3 years?
It's a little hard to find (a) what's big right now, and (b) where to watch the actual episodes, so my list is really short. But here's a quick run-down of what I have watched in the last few years, roughly in order of how much I liked them:

(1) Hanzawa Naoki (2013) -- This was a great series, and also the top drama of 2013. The gist is that a banker (named Hanzawa Naoki) entered the industry with a strong sense of personal ethics, and has worked his way through the ranks of a major nationwide bank's loan/financing department. But his own sense of what's right and wrong ends up making him an enemy of many other senior officials who are unethical, corrupt, or even downright criminal. Now, the dialog was a little hard because of the density of financial terms (even with a background in economics, this wasn't easy), but the way the story was constructed, and the themes of corruption in the banking industry that it drew upon, made it very enjoyable.

(2) Orange Days (2004) -- Ok, this one is really old, but it's still probably my favorite JDrama of all so far -- also, because of its age, you should be able to find it at least fansubbed. The story follows a young man in his final year of college trying to enter the workforce, and a young girl about the same age who was a famous violinist, but two years prior lost her hearing. There is a lot of JSL (Japanese Sign Language) used in the story, and there's a very... rocky romance that goes on between those two main characters. But a lot of it is sort of a coming-of-age story about these two people and their friends trying to negotiate the move into adulthood, with a very difficult romance in the background.

(3) Taira no Kiyomori (2012) -- This was the NHK Taiga Drama (historical drama) for 2012. This follows the Heian-era historical figure Taira no Kiyomori (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taira_no_Kiyomori). I only watched the first few episodes, and while the production quality is amazing, it was... nearly impossible for me to follow the dialog. Sorry... way too many old terms, and I even studied classical/literary Japanese.

(4) Kagi no Kakatta Heya (2012) -- This is one I'm watching right now. This one is a bit more episodic: it follows a group of lawyers and a quietly obsessive security/locksmith/puzzle expert (hard to describe, but he's played a bit like he has mild Aspergers) who end up becoming de facto detectives in a series of hard-to-solve cases. Each episode usually starts with setting up a seemingly-impossible crime, and by the end they usually solve the puzzle of what happened.

Anyway, those are the four right now that come to mind. I am 100% open to any suggestions, though, since it's hard for me to get a good gauge in the US on what dramas are worth investing time in. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

LunarRaptor
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by LunarRaptor »

Gargantia, and I watched it dubbed. *drops mic*
"All you have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf the Gray

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

Hah... I won't judge you for watching dubs. I get that subs are probably better (sometimes the translations aren't), but there's something to say for being able to have an anime on in the background. I don't always want to put all my attention towards TV.

LunarRaptor
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by LunarRaptor »

Thanks. I posted this after a very long argument over the ups and downs of Dubs and Subs. Personally, I'm all for the visual aspect of visual media. I like books, but not do not like to read the programs I'm supposed to be watching. Subs might stick closer to the original point, but I just don't enjoy them.
"All you have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf the Gray

Ardent Fox
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Ardent Fox »

So I've recently been taking to getting back into anime. I watched one called Oreimo which was about a brother and sister and the sister is way into little sister games and anime. It was amusing, but soon the novelty wears off and I found the characters to be extraordinarily annoying save the brother character. The rest of them were just jerks played for laughs but the laughs wear thin.

I also watched a bit of Sword Art Online. A bit, mind you. It had a great start, felt amazing, but that soon wore off as soon as there was a love subplot. The main character felt over powered. The whole thing just felt bad. The whole thing slowed down and eventually I found the whole thing a bother.

The last and one I'm currently watching is Log Horizon. Much like Sword Art Online, it's about MMOs. But this one just feels better. I haven't watched enough to know, but I just get the feeling this one is going to be better.

Anyway, that's what I've been doing with my spare time.

Shinto-Cetra
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Shinto-Cetra »

A lot lately, exemplary standouts were Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun, Mahwaru Penguindrum, and the Record of Lodoss War OVA.

MaroonChan
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by MaroonChan »

I haven't watched any for a while...but I think the last one I was watching was Sailor Moon.

brit
White Dragon Knight

Post by brit »

I started re-watching G Gundam the other day. I made it to episode 6. ^^

3DS | 3652-1775-0152
PSN | Psychobrit08
SWITCH | SW-1497-7723-9594

** please let me know if you add me **

The Boat Song
Saith Pirate

Post by The Boat Song »

Started watching "Monster" like 3 month ago or such, but dropped it after 15~ eps, because I wanted to play MMOs instead. Now I can#t bring myself to watch anything else, but I also don't want to continue such a lengthy series. Hmm...

The last shows I watched entirely were Magi (walp as far as the show tells the story that is) and Cute High Erth Defense Club. I laughed so hard about magical boys. Too bad that the fanbase seems to be a big blob of fujoshi. I had good online-friends who were like that and all of them went suicidal at some point and stopped talking to me. I don't want to go through that again :<

I like fantasy, sci-fi, mecha, confusing storylines, psychoogical stuff and colorful designs. What's a good, recent show to watch for me?

Ηiro
Lostest Boy

Post by Ηiro »

Hm... I re watched Cowboy Bebop the other month..

But as far as new animes go.. Sword art online!