Last Anime?

Your general non-gaming entertainment thread.
Shinto-Cetra
Black Dragon Wizard
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Re: Last Anime?

Post by Shinto-Cetra »

Magic Knight Rayearth is good,but the manga is better. Fuu had so many silly lines comparing the world of Ciphero to RPGs she played on Earth, and most of them were cut.

ShugoHanasaki
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by ShugoHanasaki »

VRAINS again! Dragon Ball Super tomorrow night ^^
Lotus Moon Productions
- Podcasts on Independent Music Artists & Wrestling -

https://soundcloud.com/lotusmoonproductions

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Shinto-Cetra wrote:More recently I watched the first couple episodes of Fushigi Yuugi, and Garo: Crimson Moon, and wasn't really into either. Fushigi Yuugi had a really annoying mary sue protagonist, and Garo's episodic nature got really predictable. I didn't mind them makng Abe no Seimei a woman, but I DID mind Seimei being overly materialistic and greedy, and hating insects (Mistumushi is his/her butterly servant!) I really prefer Seimei in the live action film doulogy of Onmyoji. I ordered Magic Knight Rayearth, we'll see how that goes.
I watched the first 5-6 episodes of Fushigi Yuugi back when it was first being released in the US (...basically as many VHS tapes as I could get at the time). I really liked it back then. I rewatched the first episode with some of my friends a few weeks ago. I wanted to punch Miaka in the face so many times. ...........I can't tell if that show hasn't aged well, or if I just had much lower standards in the 90s anime era. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Shinto-Cetra
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Shinto-Cetra »

Shinto-Cetra wrote:Magic Knight Rayearth is good,but the manga is better. Fuu had so many silly lines comparing the world of Ciphero to RPGs she played on Earth, and most of them were cut.
Actually never mind, they insert new references after the first ones from the manga were cut. However, a certain amazing character only dies in the anime  Presea and I wasn't fond of that. Finishing up the 1st season of Reyearth now.

Shinto-Cetra
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Shinto-Cetra »

Shrine of the Morning Mist. It's like Sailor moon, but with much more Shinto influence (all the main characters are Miko that fight demons.) I'd recommend it to those who like traditional Japanese influences in Anime, or slapstick comedy.

Currently watching KonoSuba.

Shiva Indis
White Dragon Knight

Post by Shiva Indis »

Kizyr wrote:I watched the first 5-6 episodes of Fushigi Yuugi back when it was first being released in the US (...basically as many VHS tapes as I could get at the time). I really liked it back then. I rewatched the first episode with some of my friends a few weeks ago. I wanted to punch Miaka in the face so many times. ...........I can't tell if that show hasn't aged well, or if I just had much lower standards in the 90s anime era. KF
I was so into FY in the late 90s! Never really had a problem with the protagonist although I could appreciate the complaints I heard.

I rewatched some of it 6 or 7 years ago and what found really frustrating was its propensity for drama for its own sake. So many people die apparently just so the hero and heroine could cry other them.
「まあいいけど。」

ShugoHanasaki
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by ShugoHanasaki »

Been slowly catching up on the new Card Captor Sakura
Lotus Moon Productions

Zero
Student of Vane

Post by Zero »

I started over watching Bleach, since I never did finish it before. Currently on season 11. I know a lot of people hate the way it got towards the end but I like it so much I just wanna see it through to the end myself and make my own decision.
I'll take a potato chip... and EAT IT!

JonOU812
Red Dragon Priest

Post by JonOU812 »

I haven't watched anime in like months, not in an anime mood lately. But, I do have a small list of ones I would like to watch/catch up on, two of them being Ancient Magus' Bride and One Piece
Check Out My Youtube Channel: YOUTUBE
Follow Me on Twitter: TWITTER
Watch Me Stream: TWITCH

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

My husband and I watched Ancient Magus Bride not long ago. It had some really nice music and art. Was kind of fun identifying the various fairy tale elements.

AkagisWhiteComet
Red Dragon Priest

Post by AkagisWhiteComet »

If anyone has Amazon Prime Wotakoi is turning out to be pretty good and is one of my picks for this season. It's about an otaku girl and guy who are childhood friends but reunite when they start working at the same office. The girl has a bit of a bad streak with a boyfriend who finds out about her boys-love obsession and her childhood friend/now office colleague is an avid introverted gamer. After realizing they're probably good together they begin to start dating. I like the art direction and the older characters with a more realistic setting (It's a lot like that MMO series that simulcasted on Crunchyroll recently).

Shinto-Cetra
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Shinto-Cetra »

Finally finishing up Jojo's Bizzare Adventure: Stardust Crusaders. I was skeptical at first cause I didn't like Jotaro at first (especially when compared to Joseph), and why they switched from Hamon to Stands perplexed me. But they both grew on me, I just love how over the top the show is, and the Engrish.

Rewatching Record of Lodoss War to satiate the lack of real Elves in modern anime (Deedlit<3). Anything with Japanese high school Elves or MMO Elves doesn't count.

I finished and enjoyed Konosuba, but idk if I'll read the manga/novels that continue the story. The anime is so colorful, I doubt it would translate well into black and white format.

ShugoHanasaki
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by ShugoHanasaki »

Started to slowly watch Sword Art Online. I'm planning on playing the games so I decided to get some background on it.
Lotus Moon Productions

AkagisWhiteComet
Red Dragon Priest

Shinto-Cetra wrote:Rewatching Record of Lodoss War to satiate the lack of real Elves in modern anime (Deedlit<3). Anything with Japanese high school Elves or MMO Elves doesn't count.
Crunchyroll got the recent re-release of Record of Lodoss War OVAs. I haven't seen it since Sci-Fi used to broadcast the first four OVAs and I rented the originals on VHS. I did a binge watch of the whole series for some nostalgia. I have to be brutally honest it's held up surprisingly well and seeing it in a digital format makes it more appealing than I remember. Both the broadcasts and VHS releases were heavily washed out and didn't do the series justice.
ShugoHanasaki wrote:Started to slowly watch Sword Art Online. I'm planning on playing the games so I decided to get some background on it.
I have two the recent SAO games and I have to say I don't much care for them. I really tried to put some effort into Lost Song but the whole concept of playing an MMO in what isn't REALLY an MMO just doesn't work very well. You have to be really dedicated to SAO to enjoy it. I think they've gotten fairly cheap now even new but even at those prices there are better JRPGs out there.

Shinto-Cetra
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Shinto-Cetra »

AkagisWhiteComet wrote:
Shinto-Cetra wrote:Rewatching Record of Lodoss War to satiate the lack of real Elves in modern anime (Deedlit<3). Anything with Japanese high school Elves or MMO Elves doesn't count.
Crunchyroll got the recent re-release of Record of Lodoss War OVAs. I haven't seen it since Sci-Fi used to broadcast the first four OVAs and I rented the originals on VHS. I did a binge watch of the whole series for some nostalgia. I have to be brutally honest it's held up surprisingly well and seeing it in a digital format makes it more appealing than I remember. Both the broadcasts and VHS releases were heavily washed out and didn't do the series justice.
Ah thank you for informing me of that, now I can watch on the go on my phone if necessary. I really like Crunchyroll when compared to say Netlfix. Not even the content (Netflix has anime and I do watch live action shows/movies too) but Netflix is always trying to be new and hip at the expense of cutting the rights to so many old programming. Whereas Crunchyroll has been acquiring the rights to many older anime as of late (Lodoss, Rurouni Kenshin, etc.) I didn't get the most recent physical release of Lodoss, but I do have the Central Park DVDs: not terrible, but still a bit washed out. The CR version is much more crisp. The story has held up well, and while there are some vague similarities with Lord of the Rings (and not so vague with Gimli and Ghim) it overall does it's own thing (not to mention Tolkien's worldview was that evil exists in the absence of good, whereas the Lodoss adopts a more yin-yang like mentality for light and darkness at towards the end.)

ShugoHanasaki
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by ShugoHanasaki »

AkagisWhiteComet wrote:
ShugoHanasaki wrote:Started to slowly watch Sword Art Online. I'm planning on playing the games so I decided to get some background on it.
I have two the recent SAO games and I have to say I don't much care for them. I really tried to put some effort into Lost Song but the whole concept of playing an MMO in what isn't REALLY an MMO just doesn't work very well. You have to be really dedicated to SAO to enjoy it. I think they've gotten fairly cheap now even new but even at those prices there are better JRPGs out there.
"the whole concept of playing an MMO in what isn't REALLY an MMO just doesn't work very well."

the .hack games did incredibly well with this concept. If Sword Art failed that then that's Sword Art's fault, not other games that have shined with that concept :P

I was able to purchase Sword Art Hollow Frag for 4.99 and I had nothing else to buy at the time so I decided to go for it.
Lotus Moon Productions

AkagisWhiteComet
Red Dragon Priest

The .hack games are better than SAO for me.

I think what gets to me also is there's just so much focus on the harem aspect of SAO; it's really thrown into your face. Not that there's anything wrong with that, except it kind of "removes" yourself from the MMO aspect. It'd be like if a MMO-type game were made for that series 'And You Never Thought There Was a Girl Online' which now that I think about it would be a strange, but interesting, implementation of MMO but not an MMO.
Shinto-Cetra wrote:Ah thank you for informing me of that, now I can watch on the go on my phone if necessary. I really like Crunchyroll when compared to say Netlfix. Not even the content (Netflix has anime and I do watch live action shows/movies too) but Netflix is always trying to be new and hip at the expense of cutting the rights to so many old programming. Whereas Crunchyroll has been acquiring the rights to many older anime as of late (Lodoss, Rurouni Kenshin, etc.)
A lot of that with Crunchyroll has to do with their partnership with Funimation. Ever since the two joined forces CR has been trying to simulcast and/or release titles alongside Funi, but also with Funi's vast IP library CR has been getting a lot of various back series and such. I have no qualms about it as CR's been releasing a lot of stuff I never got a chance to watch back in the day because anime on VHS used to cost so much ($25-$30 for two episodes - or sometimes just ONE episode).

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

AkagisWhiteComet wrote:
I feel like I'd have much the same reaction. I really enjoyed Lodoss War (had the OVA series on VHS, or I guess it was just the first season of it?) and rewatched it many times back in middle/high school. It felt really classic and I don't recall anything that in retrospect seems cringe-worthy; I suppose the only thing that might've changed is my tastes a little bit.

Good to know that it really does hold up. ...don't have any way of playing those old VHS tapes though, but hey now it's digital. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Shinto-Cetra
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Shinto-Cetra »

Kizyr wrote:
AkagisWhiteComet wrote:
I feel like I'd have much the same reaction. I really enjoyed Lodoss War (had the OVA series on VHS, or I guess it was just the first season of it?) and rewatched it many times back in middle/high school. It felt really classic and I don't recall anything that in retrospect seems cringe-worthy; I suppose the only thing that might've changed is my tastes a little bit.

Good to know that it really does hold up. ...don't have any way of playing those old VHS tapes though, but hey now it's digital. KF
I just finished my rewatch, and can confirm that Lodoss does indeed hold up. The OVA anyway, I've never had much interest in the TV series.

ShugoHanasaki
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by ShugoHanasaki »

Wednesday's new episode of Yu-Gi-Oh! VRAINS
Lotus Moon Productions