Book of the Moment

Your general non-gaming entertainment thread.
Monde Luna
Blue Dragon Ninja
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Re: Book of the Moment

Post by Monde Luna »

How have I missed this thread? Anyway I've been reading a lot of textbooks and the like but I'm also reading:

Johannes Brahms a Biography by Jan Swafford - If your into musical bio's this one is very good. It's an easy read and Brahms had quite a life.

Nature/Walking by Emerson/Thoreau - Actually I'm just about to start this book. It was reccomended to me by a dear friend/mentor.

Shin Otaku III
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Shin Otaku III »

I'll bite.

I'm currently reading The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch by Philip K. Dick

I went out and picked it up after my brother called me and recommended it. Although, I won't be able to read it in the fashion he recommended: read it in one sitting without sleeping and drinking tons of alcohol... lol

Shinto-Cetra
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Shinto-Cetra »

Giving this thread a Phoenix Down cause most every other major art form is already covered here. I'm reading he Kalevala, aka that national epic of Finland complied by Elias Lönnrot. I've always enjoyed ancient epics, so far I've read the Nihon Shoki and Kojiki of Japan, the Poetic Eddas of the ancient Norse (my translation only had the age of the gods, it stopped before the age of the Heroes.) The thing I like about the Kalevala is that the translation I am reading keep the meter which makes reading it more enjoyable. Plus it was certainly an inspiration for Tolkien, and I read and enjoyed LoTR/The Hobbit/The Silmarillion many years ago.

MaroonChan
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by MaroonChan »

"Precious Moments Holy Bible"

kazuya
Lyton Singer

Post by kazuya »

DEFINITELY Don Quixote to Nujabes in the background!
Darkness beyond twilight
Crimson beyond blood that flows
Buried in the stream of time is where your power grows
I pledge myself to conquer all the foes who stand
before the mighty gift bestowed in my unworthy hand
Let the fools who stand before me be destroyed
by the power you and I possess...
DRAGON SLAVE!

MaroonChan
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by MaroonChan »

"Precious Moments Holy Bible"

"Frozen II: Forest of Shadows" by Kamilla Benko

Shinto-Cetra
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Shinto-Cetra »

The Decay of the Angel (Mishima Yukio): Not as good as the emotional Spring Snow, or the ideologically pure Runaway Horses, but still better than the meandering plot of The Temple of Dawn so far. (All these books are part of Mishima's Sea of Fertility Tetralogy)

Selected poems of the Manyoushu (multiple authors) I prefer the longer nature of these Choka poems to the shorter Tanka/Haiku that dominated later in Japanese history. A lot of love and nature imagery.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

I don't do much reading these days outside of textbooks and such, because i get so engrossed in novels that I become nonresponsive to spouse, which freaks him out. So I have to ration them carefully. Last books I read were probably the two Lady Astronaut books by Mary Robinette Kowal (The Calculating Stars and The Fated Sky), alt-history sf set in a 1950s in which a meteor obliterated most of the East Coast and precipitated an extinction event, forcing space exploration to the top of the global priority list. They're both very compelling, and the first won the Hugo for Best Novel last year.

brit
White Dragon Knight

Post by brit »

I read a lot at my job. Mostly on slow days.

Last week I read the novel 'Crave' by Tracy Wolff within 12 hours. Loved every bit of it and can't wait for book 2 next april. It is similar to Twilight, but very different.

This week I am reading 'Mirror, Mirror' by Jen Calonita. It is part of the Disney twisted tale series.

3DS | 3652-1775-0152
PSN | Psychobrit08
SWITCH | SW-1497-7723-9594

** please let me know if you add me **

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

A couple of days ago I finished the Wayfarer trilogy by Becky Chambers. The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet is the first one. Entertaining and thought-provoking science fiction; I'm not sure if it'd be considered space opera since I'm not sure of the exact definition of that, but it does take place almost entirely in space. Well, the first and third ones do.

I'll probably start the Interdependency books by John Scalzi next -- The Collapsing Empire is the first one -- since the third one comes out today or tomorrow. Apparently the main character swears rather a lot, and I swear not at all, but I usually find Scalzi pretty entertaining also.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

One of the last events I went to before lockdowns/social distancing was with Lesley Nneka Arimah, author of What It Means When a Man Falls From the Sky (https://bookshop.org/books/what-it-mean ... 0735211032). I picked up a signed copy while I was there.

Arimah is a Nigerian author, focusing on speculative fiction and science fiction. Levar Burton featured one of her stories in the first season of Levar Burton Reads and I really recommend giving it a listen (https://art19.com/shows/levar-burton-re ... d2bb0c0894).
~Kizyr (they|them)

MaroonChan
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by MaroonChan »

Extreme Teen Bible and "The Hiding Place" by Corrie Ten Boom, Elizabeth Sherrill, and John Sherrill.

VidKid369
Red Dragon Priest

Post by VidKid369 »

Hey! I’ve been window shopping on some apps lately for books I wanna read but I don’t know what to get. Sometimes I get bored of hunting and fishing for text in RPGs when I’m really hungry to read.

I bought the NKJV Bible which’s I think only sold internationally outside the US but it was one of the only available ones here so I went and got it cause I’ve been meaning to read the bible again it’s been awhile.

I also got Oedipus the King which I loved in my college English class. I just finished reading it a few days ago and it was so hilarious and awkward to me I just love this play.

I would love some suggestions or recommendations from you guys! Especially if it’s anything like senior year high school-level or “college must reads.”

Shinto-Cetra
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Shinto-Cetra »

Last year I read Confessions of a Mask, The Sound of Waves, and finished The Decay of the Angel (the final part of the Sea of Fertility Tetrology) all by Mishima Yukio. Also last year I read 1984 by George Orwell, and a poetry anthology by Li Po. I reccomend all of them. Currently focused on The Temple of the Golden Pavillion by Mishima Yukio, and Rainbow in the Dark: The Autobiography of Ronnie James Dio.

Shinto-Cetra
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Shinto-Cetra »

I finished The Temple of the Golden Pavillion by Mishima Yukio, and Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury.

MaroonChan
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by MaroonChan »

Precious Moments Holy Bible

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

Ahar, I be reading Galileo's Dream by Kim Stanley Robinson at a common tortoise pace. Think if it were a mid-life biography of Galileo but he also traveled through time or some curious thing.

I also be feastin' on a regular diet of children's stories! One of me favorites is The Hungry Little Caterpillar, because it is fun to rattle off the list of foods that gives the mighty-of-spirit caterpillar a stomach-ache! That wee one won't suffer scurvy with all its fruits.
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

VidKid369
Red Dragon Priest

Post by VidKid369 »

Hey have you guys heard about this random ass social experiment
https://www.bookcrossing.com

Also, Sideways Stories From Wayside School, The NeverEnding Story, Silence of the Lambs, Oedipus the King (over and over Haha), 2 versions of the MLA Handbook I think #3 & 5.
And I have Air awakens Water coming in.
Oh, I forgot The Crucible. ,I just finished The Crucible. And someone left-leant me The Jehovah's Witness Bible I forget who it was. Eh-Shrug.
And the Merriam I dunno which edition the one with bromance entering our lexicon.
Last edited by VidKid369 on Sat Nov 25, 2023 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

VidKid369
Red Dragon Priest

Post by VidKid369 »

@Sonic#
Hey, I was talking to someone on another site named "lakelady80" which she didn't say anything, and was inquiring about which version of the "Lady of the Lake" should I read? And it made me think of your signature/avatar like the hand/arm coming out of the water/lake. I came here to ask you like I'm not really fond of Morigan, Arthur or even Guieneviere but I always liked The Lady of the Lake. Any book, or short-story recommendations about just her? :)

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

VidKid369 wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 8:13 pm @Sonic#
Hey, I was talking to someone on another site named "lakelady80" which she didn't say anything, and was inquiring about which version of the "Lady of the Lake" should I read? And it made me think of your signature/avatar like the hand/arm coming out of the water/lake. I came here to ask you like I'm not really fond of Morigan, Arthur or even Guieneviere but I always liked The Lady of the Lake. Any book, or short-story recommendations about just her? :)
Heh, sorry about not replying quickly. I don't have a good recommendation involving just the Lady of the Lake. The closest might be the visual novel/TV series Cursed, but I haven't actually read either.
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time