Terry Brooks

Your general non-gaming entertainment thread.
MaroonChan
Black Dragon Wizard
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Terry Brooks

Post by MaroonChan »

Anyone here a fan of his work?

I love his Shannara series. Right now I'm reading "The Druid of Shannara" almost done too. Hmm favorite don't really have one now. I enjoy most of them. Actually I don't really dislike any yet. :D He's one of my favorite authors. The Leah family kicks butt! :lol:

Lyriel
Lyton Singer

Re: Terry Brooks

Post by Lyriel »

I haven't sat down to read the Shannara books yet (my mother is into them, though! Yes, I come from a rather geeky bloodline ^.^), but I have read the first few Magic Kingdom of Landover books, and I love them.
One must only believe that the Light of Hope will always shine brightly.

MaroonChan
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by MaroonChan »

I haven't tried those yet. After Shannara I wanna try his Word and Void series and then The Magic Kingdom of Landover series. I really love the Shannara series.

Vyse of Arcadia
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Vyse of Arcadia »

I read the first couple of Shannara books and couldn't really get into them. Especially Sword of Shannara, which seemed to be mostly a recap of Lord of the Rings.

MaroonChan
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by MaroonChan »

*shrug* I adore the series honestly. :lol: I read up to book three of Lord of the Rings, but I got bored and stopped. I do want to try it again, but that won't be for a while. If I recall the prequel "First King of Shannara" took me a bit to get into. But the same could be said for Lord of the Rings for me. Anyway, I'm up to "High Druid of Shannara." After this counting the info book six more to go. :lol: Then, I'm gonna try the Landover series. I got a book with the first two (something like that) books. I wanna try his Word series too. I'm trying not to buy any books till I get caught up on my backlog of books though.

Sophia
Lostest Boy

Post by Sophia »

I've read five of the Landover books. I remember loving the first three when I was younger. Last year I picked up 4 & 5 and re-read the first three. It wasn't bad, but I had a much harder time getting into the series this time around. The dialogue is just so stiff at times.

Also Willow felt like nothing more than an obligatory love interest and plot device until book 4.

I will say that the Landover series gets better with each book. Though I've heard that the newest one (A Princess of Landover) isn't that good compared to the rest of the series.

Arya
Lann Fisherman

Post by Arya »

I have read all of his books with the exception of A Princess of Landover. Overall I enjoy his books. Word/Void series is really good, it is set in modern day though and it is not like the other books even though later on he linked the Word/Void books to Shannara with Genesis as a link.

My favorite books are Elfstones and Wishsong from the first series. I was not a huge fan of Heritage, I found the series to be a bit boring at times. Voyage is really good, I enjoyed it a lot and it introduces one of my favorite characters of any book series ( Grianne Ohmsford). High druid is a bit flat espically Straken which is probably the weakest book in the whole series.

His books I would consider to be a light read and a good series to read. I still look forward to the new Shannara books that he has planned.

MaroonChan
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by MaroonChan »

Yeah from what I could gather he is linking the Word/Void series to Shannara. Actually seems like he is in the new book coming out. I must pre-order! Hopefully, by then I will have read all the current books.

I liked Heritage actually. Really, I like em all. Though I did enjoy Elf Stones and Wishsong quite a bit too. Heritage is up there too. Right now on "High Druid of Shannara: Tanequil" which I'm enjoying quite a bit.