The Road

Your general non-gaming entertainment thread.
Aaron
Blue Dragon Ninja
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

The Road

Post by Aaron »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbLgszfXTAY

I just saw The Road. I didn't expect to see it, because I went to see Avatar but it was sold out. So I saw The Road instead.

I recommend this film. It is very, very powerful and poignant. I don't really want to talk about the movie because I don't want anyone to see it with preconceived notions. Just watch it. You'll like it. And even the ladies will like it.

Guild_Premier_Ghaleon
Black Dragon Wizard

Re: The Road

Post by Guild_Premier_Ghaleon »

Yeah, excellent film. Good adaptation of the novel.
"Perhaps you should demonstrate the power which gives you such confidence. Then we shall see who is fit to be supreme ruler, and who... is dead!"

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

I wanted to see it because I really like post-apocalyptic fiction. I might be able to when it hits DVD, possibly (unless I can find someone else who wants to see it while it's still in theaters).

I heard something about it referring to The Rapture, but... I really can't see how that fits unless you really try to force the connection. ("The Rapture is an apocalypse, and this is an apocalypse! So it fits!")

All I know is that Viggo Mortensen and cannibals are involved, but no zombies. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Aaron
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Aaron »

I never read the book but I can definitely say there is no indication that there was a "rapture" in this film. But I also do know that the author of The Road is a atheist...so I don't know where you heard that maybe you are talking about The Book of Eli?

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

Kizyr wrote:I wanted to see it because I really like post-apocalyptic fiction. I might be able to when it hits DVD, possibly (unless I can find someone else who wants to see it while it's still in theaters).

I heard something about it referring to The Rapture, but... I really can't see how that fits unless you really try to force the connection. ("The Rapture is an apocalypse, and this is an apocalypse! So it fits!")
I've studied the book, but not seen the movie, but I can see where the parallel would be made. Cormac McCarthy makes several parallels to apocalyptic Old Testament prophets like (if I recall correctly) Elijah. If you've read the book, the allusion is centered around the lightning-stricken man. See Malachi 3 for the textual parallel: http://www.mechon-mamre.org/p/pt/pt2403.htm#19

I don't think that McCarthy would want his apocalypse to be seen as a rapture in the sense that the good Christians have ascended and everyone else is struggling in a dying Earth. Instead, he wishes to show a world where it is an immense struggle to raise a boy, maintain one's morality, and survive at the same time.
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

Aquaignis
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Aquaignis »

I remember seeing the trailer for The Road a few months ago and I am greatly interested! :mrgreen: Unfortunately, it seems the film was under-advertised and I had no idea it was even out! :cry: Oh well, I'll see it eventually. I love post-apocalyptic anything. 8-) Good stuff.
Some of the answers in this post are made of frozen lose with whipped failsauce topping and suck sprinkles......

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

It got a limited release, which is actually why I didn't see it. I was in Nashville when it'd come out, and the closest place it was playing at then was Atlanta. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Aquaignis
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Aquaignis »

I just found out that The Road is not coming to any theater near me...maybe i'll catch it on DTV
Some of the answers in this post are made of frozen lose with whipped failsauce topping and suck sprinkles......

neovane911
Reza Thief

Post by neovane911 »

yeah, I'm usually happy with the movie choices of my local theater.. As of late, I haven't really been that estatic seeing that neither Sherlock Holms or The Road are showing... Sigh

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

I finally saw this the other night. Is it possible to hate a movie but think it was good at the same time? It was so freakin' depressing, but at the same time, it was a good movie.
-G1

Guild_Premier_Ghaleon
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Guild_Premier_Ghaleon »

GhaleonOne wrote:I finally saw this the other night. Is it possible to hate a movie but think it was good at the same time? It was so freakin' depressing, but at the same time, it was a good movie.
Grave of the Firelies. 'Nough said.
"Perhaps you should demonstrate the power which gives you such confidence. Then we shall see who is fit to be supreme ruler, and who... is dead!"

JeansPast
Lann Fisherman

Post by JeansPast »

I believe Nick Cave did the soundtrack for this movie. At least that is what I've been told. Haven't seen the film yet :(
I am the funeral dancer on the outer wave