Your general non-gaming entertainment thread.
LuNaRtIc
Bromide Hunter
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Post by LuNaRtIc »

I'm not great at writing movie reviews. However, I was pretty excited about this movie and thought I'd share my two cents. I just got back from seeing "9" a few minutes ago. Normally I don't like post-apocalyptic movies, but I enjoyed this one. Despite the plot starting off slightly rushed, I was soon sucked into the storyline. Each of the rag doll characters have their own distinct personality. While I found some of them incredibly endearing, I came to dislike others. I enjoyed this contrast of characters though. (I will say 3 & 4 were my favorites. :P )

Being such a large scale story, there was a lot to fit into 79 minutes. I found the constant action a little draining. Right from the beginning it seemed there was one one battle after the next, and hardly enough "downtime" in between conflicts. However, I imagine the average action fan won't mind this. The movie certainly lives up to its PG-13 rating, I wouldn't take a child to see this film. On the artistic side, I loved this movie's creativity. The character designs are spectacular. The the different methods in which tools and enemies are built from spare junk is clever. The atmosphere has a very Steampunk kind of feel to it. The film is great piece of eye candy. Overall I was very happy with "9", despite its few shortcomings.
「美しい白い竜 愛しい白い竜…」
My avatar art was done by luleiya! <3

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Re: 9

Post by GhaleonOne »

I saw something about this last week and was curious, but forgot about looking it up when I got home that day. Maybe I'll have to check it out if it's that good!
-G1

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

<3 Jennifer Connely.

Also I really like post-apocalyptic movies. I'll be seeing this Saturday. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Guild_Premier_Ghaleon
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Guild_Premier_Ghaleon »

I thought it was mediocre. Seemed kind of rushed considering how short it was and forcing the message that it did. Good action and brilliant animation though. I'd give it a six. Not amazing, but certainly not horrible either.
"Perhaps you should demonstrate the power which gives you such confidence. Then we shall see who is fit to be supreme ruler, and who... is dead!"

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Eh... I gotta agree with G_P_G.

Now, it was visually stunning. I loved the animation and the background. But, I was really hoping for a more "epic" story. It rushed into things, and kind of went too quickly for you to really care about the people involved.

I'd still recommend it, but... it's not near as grand as I was hoping. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Dark_Fairy
White Dragon Knight

Post by Dark_Fairy »

I've been wanting to see 9, unfortunately, my town is stupid and isn't showing the movie (for whatever reason). I don't have the time to go and see it in the next closest town. I'll probably just wait until it comes out on DVD to see it.

Aquaignis
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Aquaignis »

Bottom line: I went to see "9" with too-high-expectations.

I love, love post-apocalyptic anything (Fallout 3 FTW!) and "9" is nothing but. The concept was great and the animation/creativity was spot-on. I felt that the characters were each unique enough to have their own story/prequel, which is a truly great thing to pull off. The downside of the movie was it's length, which happens to be a recurring factor in many 21st century movies... :( The storyline could have been developed MUCH better if allowed more time.

I'd give "9" a 7/10 but, definitely had the potential for a 9/10 :wink:
Some of the answers in this post are made of frozen lose with whipped failsauce topping and suck sprinkles......