Inglorious Basterds

Your general non-gaming entertainment thread.
Aaron
Blue Dragon Ninja
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Inglorious Basterds

Post by Aaron »

Well, I just watched it. I have to say, it was really really fun. But be prepared to read through good portion of this subtitled movie.

Apart from the storyline I want to comment on just the whole experience. I didn't want to see this. But I went to see it with a friend who did. And I was completely shocked by what I saw. This film just all around rocked. It was riveting, extremely tense and managed to make some very subtle serious statements.

The whole time I was watching this movie I got the same kind of feelings I got when I watched 300. It was a total dude movie. Not that girls wont like it, but it doesn't shy away from the reality that mostly males will be watching this.

The gore in this movie was surprisingly well done and didn't seem too outrageous. I had read that it was really over the top nasty, but it was more realistic then anything else.

The story was fairly well done. The writing was probably genius, and has some of the greatest one liners I have heard. Although this is a complete fantasy movie, it was nice to get a chance to escape the real world and visit this almost dreamlike movie. So if your looking for something realistic don't watch this, instead look for The Hurt Locker

One problem I had with it was that the sub stories really detract from what most people came to see. Which were the Basterds kicking some Nazi butt. Luckily though, the sub stories are segmented into the broader story. I personally don't like this trend in film making but it has been here for a couple of years now and it seems like its going to stay a while longer.

This is probably the only movie I had ever really liked Brad Pitt in. Although his character is clearly the "stereotypical" brutal/ignorant American he did a great job and without his Character and the lead villain's character this movie would not have been anywhere near as enjoyable. My hats off to Christopher Waltz as well.

Extra points if you can figure out Samuel L. Jackson's role and Mike Myers (Austin Powers) role.

Warning!!! SPOILER AHEAD!!!

Some things I had issues with about this film:

The comical portrayal of the Nazi's. Making them see more incompetent then they were.
The analogy between suicide bombers and the Jews at the end suicide bombing Hitler. (To kill Hitler wouldn't it be okay to strap a bomb to yourself and blow up yourself in a crowded area?)
The numerous digs at American's throughout the film.
Oh did I mention the numerous digs at Americans throughout the film?

END SPOILER

Other then that I still think it was a great movie to enjoy and I recommend seeing it with a bunch of your friends. Oh and I leave you with probably the greatest quote from that movie:

"After the war is over, what do you plan on doin' with that Nazi uniform?"

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Re: Inglorious Basterds

Post by Kizyr »

I saw this opening night, and loved Inglorious Basterds from start to finish. It's a lot of what Tarantino does best--might be my favorite one from him so far (at least on par with Kill Bill).

Most of the movie isn't violence. It's very, very tense dialogue, periodically punctuated by brief bits of extreme blood and violence. All of it's amazingly well-done. But the bottom line is, if you don't like Tarantino, you won't like this movie; if you do like Tarantino, you'll love it.

We left the theater with my friends thinking he went a bit over-the-top at the end, while I think he could've stood to go even further. I wouldn't mind more blood.
Aaron wrote:The comical portrayal of the Nazi's. Making them see more incompetent then they were.
The numerous digs at American's throughout the film.
Oh did I mention the numerous digs at Americans throughout the film?
Hans was perhaps one of the greatest villains in any movie this year. The only Nazi officer who was portrayed as incompetent in any regard was Hitler; everyone else was ruthless and efficient. (There were some other people, such as the film director, but he was a civilian.)

What digs at Americans are you talking about? There wasn't anything in the movie along those lines. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Aaron
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Aaron »

The things I picked up as anti-american were:

Brad Pitt's character: He was a cowboy. Go in shootin' ask questions later. But part of the major appeal of his character was that this was his character. He was an avenger.

In the bar scene when they are playing that drinking game and the SS officer guesses that he is a black slave that was a complete dig at Americans. Especially since he himself explained in the rules you were to pick someone famous. Nobody else put on their cards a group of people (at the officer table or the private table). Yet he still guessed a group of people rather then a specific person going against what he just said literally 3 to 5 minutes ago. That was deliberate in my mind, and of course nobody will ever comment on that.

The scene where Von Hammersmark remarks that Americans can only speak English. All the translators in the film were foreign born.

And this one, I think that maybe I'm just really really reaching. But, I was having a conversation with some people at school and they brought up how Brad Pitt's character was the American, and he wasn't Jewish. Yet he was leading a group of Jews. Well there are some people who feel that Israel is sort of America's lap dog. And does what it wants. So I think that maybe, just maybe, that was put in there on purpose.

Uh, I can't think of any more off the top of my head.

===============================================================
As for the comical Nazi's it's debatable.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Aaron wrote:Brad Pitt's character: He was a cowboy. Go in shootin' ask questions later. But part of the major appeal of his character was that this was his character. He was an avenger.
I loved Brad Pitt's character. Given that the movie was about revenge, that the main 'hero' was a cowboy type made perfect sense. (They even made him from Tennessee <3)
Aaron wrote:In the bar scene when they are playing that drinking game and the SS officer guesses that he is a black slave that was a complete dig at Americans.
I don't see how in the world that's a dig at Americans. But even then, one of your main objections is that the Nazis in the film were portrayed as being anti-American? ...considering they were Nazis, it'd be rather odd if they weren't. Additionally, none of the people at the table in that scene were Americans--they were two Britons and an Austrian.
The scene where Von Hammersmark remarks that Americans can only speak English. All the translators in the film were foreign born.
...given her character it's plausible to say. And given that most Americans can only speak one language, while most Europeans can at least speak a decent amount of a second, it makes sense.

Also, given that they were in Nazi-occupied France, it also made sense that most of the characters in the movie weren't American.
And this one, I think that maybe I'm just really really reaching. But, I was having a conversation with some people at school and they brought up how Brad Pitt's character was the American, and he wasn't Jewish. Yet he was leading a group of Jews. Well there are some people who feel that Israel is sort of America's lap dog. And does what it wants. So I think that maybe, just maybe, that was put in there on purpose.
Brad Pitt said he descended from hillbillies, but I don't think he ever said outright he wasn't Jewish. Regarding it being put in on purpose, that's extremely doubtful. Tarantino made this as a sort of "Jewish revenge fantasy"; sticking a comment on the US-Israel relationship would be out of step with his entire purpose. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)