Musical Rut

Your general non-gaming entertainment thread.
Shin Otaku III
Red Dragon Priest
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Re: Musical Rut

Post by Shin Otaku III »

Monde Luna wrote:we would probably need to settle on a style too, is the goal for it to sound like something you would hear in Lunar? Also do we have the blessing of G1/kizyr?
I wouldn't think it would be a big deal as long as the song wasn't published (and sold). Then I'm sure it would be some kind of copyright issue.

Ardent Fox
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Ardent Fox »

I would think it'd just be a song for us.

Monde Luna
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Monde Luna »

OIC I ,misunderstood. :mrgreen:

Ardent Fox
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Ardent Fox »

So what are we thinking? I'm fairly broad when it comes to music and can do most genre (save for rap, never actually rapped). I've penned and sang lyrics for country, rock, metal, indie, ska and euro.

Monde Luna
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Monde Luna »

I'm w/ exigence we need to establish at least key, meter, tempo and probably style before we start anything.

Ardent Fox
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Ardent Fox »

Fair enough. Where to start though...

Shin Otaku III
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Shin Otaku III »

Ardent Fox wrote:Where to start though...
This is the trick isn't it? I'm fairly new to writing music myself. I went to a friend of mine who's more experienced and was trying to figure out where to start. My question was, do you start with the music or lyrics first? He basically said that it comes down to personal preference. So far I started out with a chord progression and have slowly been working in some lyrics :D

Ardent Fox
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Ardent Fox »

I'm very back and forth. I'll hear a phrase, or a few words and start putting some music to them. Or I'll hear some music and throw some lyrics into the mix. Nine times out of ten though, the time I hear a phrase the song will actually have a theme or a purpose.

DeathBeforeDenial
Dragonmaster

Post by DeathBeforeDenial »

I had a musician friend who wanted to write some music, as he had just been recording people and not doing much composing himself and when he hit a creative wall he would just roll 2 dice to figure out the time signature and the tempo (number rolled multiplied by 10), I think the favorite he ever rolled was 11/8 at 140 bpm.

In terms of key, he would carry around a pitch pipe and honk the horn on his car, or hit 2 pieces of metal to ring a tone, and then use the tone as the key for the song he was writing.

Just thought I would provide some additional insight into what works for other musicians out there. Granted it is a bit chaotic of a system, but it cuts out a lot of the time-wasting parts of composing a piece of music. Plus, if done well it can really turn into something beautiful, especially with the odd meter and key.
They said that on Saturday evening Arsenius used to turn his back to the setting sun and stretch out his hands towards heaven and pray until, at dawn on Sunday, the rising sun lit up his face, and then he sat down again.