Do I want to see "The Watchmen"?

Your general non-gaming entertainment thread.
Undine
Black Dragon Wizard
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Do I want to see "The Watchmen"?

Post by Undine »

Oh, hello. Suffice it to say I'm an old member whose come back again. Now I need your honest opinion.

So I promised my friend I would see "The Watchmen" with him on the IMAX big screen.

Then I keep hearing things about a certain male character's certain male appendage having a lot of screen time.

Anyone know what I've signed myself up for? Is this movie worth seeing? Am I going to be scarred for life? Any heads up you can give me would be much appreciated.

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Re: Do I want to see "The Watchmen"?

Post by Werefrog »

I think this interview with Jon Stewart says it all.

http://www.thedailyshow.com/video/index ... lly-Crudup

NSFW probably.

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

I want to see it, ever sense I've seen the trailor for it at The Dark Knight. I'm much nicer to movies than most people, and I never listen to critics.

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

I say go ahead and see the movie. Don't worry about Dr. Manhattan's Long Island. It really can't have that much screen time, or the movie would be NC-17 instead of R.

Edit: Just did a Google search on the phrase "Dr. Manhattan's Long Island" and learned that this was the fourth time anyone on the Internet has written that phrase.

Pisces
Threadkiller

Post by Pisces »

Becca,

This is coming from ME, so you may be getting a biased opinion here, regarding blue phalli...but at the same time, it's coming from ME, and you know how I am about quality of story/character/etc.

I actually really liked it. It was very different and threw off a lot of the normal comic-book crowd, I think. But it was something slightly more my style. It delved a lot into darker, more philosophical aspects. It definitely had its share of action, but there was also a lot slower, subtler character/conversational stuff going on.

I knew nothing about it prior, but I enjoyed it.
"Let man's petty nations tear themselves apart; my land's only borders lie around my heart."

-Tim Rice, from the song "Anthem" in the musical Chess

Guild_Premier_Ghaleon
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Guild_Premier_Ghaleon »

I thought it was excellent. Yeah, Dr. Manhattan sports his junk from time to time, but really, if you're not looking for it it wont bother you. The flick is filled with dark humor which I enjoyed, the action scenes are excellent, and the characters are all pretty believable considering the particular scenario. A good watch in my opinion.
"Perhaps you should demonstrate the power which gives you such confidence. Then we shall see who is fit to be supreme ruler, and who... is dead!"

LuciaOne
Goddess

Post by LuciaOne »

It's a great movie, and a great adaptation of the comic. The blue penis does get some screen time, but not any more than a pair of boobs gets in any other movie. People are just flipping out because they aren't used to seeing 5 blue penises on the screen at once.
I found my old siggie! MUAH HAHAHAHAHA!!!
~~~
Sir Kizyr: ::high-pitched voice:: Ohh lookit me, I'm a cute li'l elf!
MiaAusa: Oh wait! NO I GET IT.
MiaAusa: It's him finally fessing up the the fact that HE IS a cut li'l elf. :d
MiaAusa: Hey, chance" NO I GET IT" to "NOW I GET IT"
MiaAusa: change**
MiaAusa: I'm mad with grammar today
MiaAusa: bad**

I'm mad with grammar too.
~~~
Sir Kizyr: Here's a lovely song about my favorite food
Sir Kizyr: Lima, lento, soy, and pinto ~ Navy, northern, and garbanzo! ~ Kidneys and frijoles negros
Sir Kizyr: I love beans, I love beans, woo woo woo! ~ How 'bout you? ~ High in fiber ~ Low in fat ~ Hey, I betcha didn't know that
Sir Kizyr: When I eat beans, I sit in my little cloud, I don't know why ~ maybe 'cause I'm cuttin' muffins ~~ Because....
Sir Kizyr: I love beans! Hey hey hey! ~ I love beans everyday! ~ Beans are an excellent source of protein ~ I love beans!
Sir Kizyr: Diggydoo!
~~~

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

So out of curiosity, who's watching The Watchmen this weekend?

Wow... that was lame.

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

I saw it last night with my girlfriend.

Thoughts:

1. People make a really big deal about blue penises. They aren't apparent unless you're looking for them, and it's not like there's any close-ups or anything. It's just frontal nudity, like a lot of the female frontal nudity we somehow don't titter at.

2. It was excellent. As Eric and others said, more psychological. Less of the simple good v. evil mentality that most movies fall into. An interesting alternate history. And interesting characters all around.

3. Perhaps typical, they love messing with time. Glass window breaks, time slows down. Someone punches someone's limb, time slows down, limb's bone snaps... not too ridiculous compared to some of the other stuff around, but I marvel that I can say "not too ridiculous" about it.

4. There were some parts that I wonder whether they were funny intentionally. (And some where people laughed and I wondered about them.) In any case, they provided much-needed levity, even if they were a bit distracting. Hallelujah!
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

brightshield
Red Dragon Priest

Post by brightshield »

I loved it as well. Probably my favorite super hero film. Rorshach has made it onto my list of movie badasses(and that is a very short list).

"Men get arrested... BUGS get put DOWN!"

Ozone
Dragonmaster

Post by Ozone »

I'm on the fence about Watchmen. It stuck to its guns in terms of content and did a decent job developing its characters, but I don't really feel like the the big ideas that make up the core of the story really translated well onto the big screen. The movie dragged on for about an half hour to an hour more than it actually needed to and I almost feel like I should ask for at least half of the money I paid back. Before someone asks, I have read the graphic novel, and I do get the idea behind it, but I still say that it's a hard leap from that medium to the screen. They did do an excellent job with Rorschach and the Comedian though.
"'There are no atheists in foxholes' isn't an argument against atheism, it's an argument against foxholes." - James Morrow
"I'll hit your head with the thunder clap, you're seeing Horus"

DeathBeforeDenial
Dragonmaster

Post by DeathBeforeDenial »

I saw it the night it came out, and sadly the best part of the movie ended with the brilliantly done opening credits coupled with the delightful Bob Dylan tune "The Times They Are a-Changin'".

While the majority of the story was fairly true to the source, it seemed more like the big picture and the overall form were off. A lot within the film just felt gratuitous, from the violence (Arm+saw, the Nite-Owl Silk Specter II fight, Rorschach's cleaver attack) to the over-established sex between Nite-Owl and Silk Specter.

Also the excessive slow-motion got so distracting after a while, but my friends who loved 300 barely noticed. One final critique was the use of music, overall it was good, though there were some really poorly placed tracks such as "99 Luftballoons", "I'm Your Boogie Man" and the awkwardly placed "Hallelujah".

Unfortunately the movie altogether just lacked what the comic book had. Alan Moore was absolutely correct when he said, "My book is a comic book. Not a movie, not a novel. A comic book. It's been made in a certain way, and designed to be read a certain way: in an armchair, nice and cozy next to a fire, with a steaming cup of coffee."
They said that on Saturday evening Arsenius used to turn his back to the setting sun and stretch out his hands towards heaven and pray until, at dawn on Sunday, the rising sun lit up his face, and then he sat down again.