Mystery Science Theater 3000

Your general non-gaming entertainment thread.
LunarRaptor
Black Dragon Wizard
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Mystery Science Theater 3000

Post by LunarRaptor »

Anyone here ever watch this cult favorite? Well, yack it up about it here.
"All you have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf the Gray

Guild_Premier_Ghaleon
Black Dragon Wizard

Re: Mystery Science Theater 3000

Post by Guild_Premier_Ghaleon »

Hell yes. My friends and I are MST3K addicts. My favorite line is the movie featured in the MST3K motion picture. The main character is flying a plane over the mountains and Crow says, "Look at all those soccer teams." I laughed my ass off. Good stuff.
"Perhaps you should demonstrate the power which gives you such confidence. Then we shall see who is fit to be supreme ruler, and who... is dead!"

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

It's a really good show. I wish it were still on TV because I don't have money for the DVDs. Comedy Central would be so much better with the occasional block of MST3K in place of the blocks of MadTV and Blue Collar Comedy TV. I buy cable so that I don't have to watch those things.

Edit: Some MadTV can be funny at times, but they show it too often. Blue Collar Comedy is like a train wreck that people expect you to laugh at. The few skits I've seen just make me embarrassed for everyone involved.

LunarRaptor
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by LunarRaptor »

Heh, heh. I've been an MST3K nut going on 10 years now. I caught it during the its final Sci-Fi channel years before it was unfairly cancelled. My first episode: The Final Sacrifice. My favorite one, too.
"All you have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf the Gray

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

I don't know when my first episode was. I know that I saw it before it was taken off by Sci-fi. I watched it every Saturday I could for about a year or so.

Anyone listen to Rifftrax (produced by the same people who did MST)? It's pretty good too. I enjoyed the Spider-Man 3 one quite a bit.

LunarRaptor
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by LunarRaptor »

Eh, I'm not really interested in rifftrax. I think it goes against the point of riffing. Mike and the bots made fun of movies that were notably absurd and poorly done. There were no strong feelings for the films featured on the audience's part, so the Brains could scorn and mock the film to their heart's content.
However, this is not the same for a widely beloved films like Pirates of the Caribbean, Ben-Hur, or something else. I found their treatment of films like The Lord of the Rings and such to be unacceptably disrespectful for the geniunely good works that they are. I'm not saying "Don't have some fun" with Rings or anything, but they acted like they were watching Parts: The Clonus Horror or Pumaman or something.

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

I rather enjoyed the Rifftrax I've seen. Sometimes they do make fun of movies that are bad, like Star Trek V (that's my favorite one), but... for movies I've seen a lot, like Lord of the Rings, it is fine too. I'm a huge fan, but I don't take it that seriously. And I understand their reasons for doing it. Better to have something more easily accessible that everyone owns than play off of obscure movies that you'd have to get just to watch the Rifftrax of it.

They could riff better sometimes though... like with MST3K, there are some misses.
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

Yeah, I also don't like some of the guest riffers that they've had. I refuse to watch some of the Star Wars prequel trilogy riffs because they have Chad Vader in them. That's not the kind of thing I find funny... at all.

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

Post by Benevolent_Ghaleon »

MadTV is a damned joke. SNL has always been better and even THAT sucks at this point.

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

I think it can be funny at times-- at least funnier than the Blue Collar stuff. To me, it seems like MadTV has always relied too much on shock value. I think it's really hard to say which is worse current SNL or MadTV. They're both pretty bad, but I can occasionally find something funny in either.

LunarRaptor
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by LunarRaptor »

People actually put themselves through the torture of watching SNL anymore?! Wow, that's...shocking, actually. Its been so long since I last heard about anything SNL that I figured it was cancelled.

Yeah, about guest riffers...Weird Al comes to mind. I love his music, but I found his riffing abilities to leave something to be desired.
Anyway, I know that the rifftrax are not to be taken seriously. I just think a slightly kinder stance could be taken on their part for the films in question. Especially well-beloved ones.

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

Its been so long since I last heard about anything SNL that I figured it was cancelled.
I know the Sarah Palin SNL sketches have been written about in the news only days ago. But other than occasional sketches (which range from okay to great) I haven't heard much about it. I've been watching the first season lately, and... I agree, the last times I've watched it haven't matched up.
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

I haven't watched SNL much, but the Palin skits are (in my opinion) the best thing they have had in a while.

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

LunarRaptor
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by LunarRaptor »

I haven't seen any of the Palin skits. i doubt I'd find them overly funny, because indifference is what my general feelings are concerning her.

But, back to topic. Who was your favorite host, everyone? Mike or Joel. Favorite Crow? Trace or Bill. Favorite Villains? Dr. Forrest and TV's Frank or Pearl, Bobo, and Brainguy.

Personally, I liked Mike better. He was the host when I came into it. He's the one I grew familiar with first, so he's my idea of the MST host.
When I heard someone else did it first, I rented an episode with Joel ("Mitchell", with Joe Don Baker) out of curiousity. I wasn't overly impressed. His delivery was flat and he looked like he was about to collapse from sleep deprivation. I later found about that both were deliberate after the show's first ever promo when they were first making it. They'd been working through the whole night and he was, infact, sleepy at the time of recording and that the persona just stuck after that.
I'm not saying that Joel is a bad host. I just like Mike better. He was more full of life, and I liked his relationship with the bots and the villains better. Joel like was the father fight to the bots and he just accepted his fate out in space. Mike, however, was buddy-buddy/big dopey brother with the bots, and VERY spiteful to the villain and not content at all to spend the rest of his days in space, continually trying to figure out a way to escape.

As for the villains. I liked Pearl over Dr. Forrester. Forrester was pretty straightforward the kind of parody on bad scientists that I'd seen before (not a bad thing, though). Pearl was more the scary dominating mother hen, which I found hilarious in her exchanges with Bobo and Brainguy.
I liked TV's Frank over the latter two. Frank was just such a lovable goofball, and he made me smile every time he was on camera doing his thing. I liked Bobo and Brainguy, but they lacked something that I can't quite put my finger on.
As for Crow. I much prefer Bill Corbett's take. He had more attitude, and I found his voice more barable. Trace's Crows voice was too high-pitched. I'd compare its sound to nails on a chalkboard.

Sadrin
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Sadrin »

My grandma loved the show but hatted that the guys would talk during a good movie. Lol
Depend On You Changed My Life.

LunarRaptor
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by LunarRaptor »

Come on, guys! You've gotta have a favorite host. Don't worry about a Mike vs. Joel war on this board. We wouldn't have one.

nectarsis
Burg Farmer

Post by nectarsis »

I like both :) I have love for Joel as the creator, and the one that I started with, but Mike is funny as well.