Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland.

Your general non-gaming entertainment thread.
LunarRaptor
Black Dragon Wizard
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland.

Post by LunarRaptor »

:shock: Yep, everyone's favorite oddball is set to direct a new adaptation of Alice in Wonderland. Any thoughts?

My vote is that Depp should play/voice The Cheshire Cat.
"All you have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf the Gray

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Re: Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland.

Post by phyco126 »

Heath Ledger should play the mad hatter.

Oh, wait...

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Sadrin
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Sadrin »

OMG AWESOME! How is it going to be made? Claymation?! ^_^ It might take a few years then...
Depend On You Changed My Life.

LunarRaptor
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by LunarRaptor »

Nope. Live-action.
"All you have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf the Gray

Maru
Bromide Hunter

Post by Maru »

Sadrin wrote:OMG AWESOME! How is it going to be made? Claymation?! ^_^ It might take a few years then...
The proper term is "Stop-motion". ;)

Uungh. So surprising. :P Tim Burton directing, Johnny Depp with be playing some quirky character (o but which one :o), and Danny Elfman will do the music.

Please. Who didn't see this coming?

Monde Luna
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Monde Luna »

I'm sure we will see Helena Bonham Carter in the movie she's almost a staple in Burton movies. And I think Johnny would make a fab Mad Hatter.

LunarRaptor
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by LunarRaptor »

I don't know, the Mad Hatter just seems like a Michael Keaton role. I think the Cheshire Cat would be perfect for Depp.
I have no idea who Carter will play. She's too young and pretty to be the queen.

Maru
Bromide Hunter

Post by Maru »

LunarRaptor wrote:I don't know, the Mad Hatter just seems like a Michael Keaton role. I think the Cheshire Cat would be perfect for Depp.
I have no idea who Carter will play. She's too young and pretty to be the queen.
I think she'd actually pull the Queen off very well.

Monde Luna
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Monde Luna »

Maru wrote:
LunarRaptor wrote:I don't know, the Mad Hatter just seems like a Michael Keaton role. I think the Cheshire Cat would be perfect for Depp.
I think she'd actually pull the Queen off very well.

I agree with Maru a little make up could age her in no time.

LunarRaptor
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by LunarRaptor »

The Queen has to be a boistrous, heavy-set, and bordorline animalistic creature of a being. She also has to be alot older than Carter is. Carter's more subtle and creepy approach to this kind of role just won't work, and her voice just can't reach the right pitch.

Sadrin
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Sadrin »

Maru wrote:
Sadrin wrote:OMG AWESOME! How is it going to be made? Claymation?! ^_^ It might take a few years then...
The proper term is "Stop-motion". ;)

Uungh. So surprising. :P Tim Burton directing, Johnny Depp with be playing some quirky character (o but which one :o), and Danny Elfman will do the music.

Please. Who didn't see this coming?
Argh! I knew it was called that! >_< I just couldn't remember for the life of me. Thanks!

I can't wait for some more info on this project. I just hope its not aimed at children.
Depend On You Changed My Life.

LunarRaptor
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by LunarRaptor »

I can't wait for some more info on this project. I just hope its not aimed at children.
Boy, are you out of luck. Alice in Wonderland is a children's book, Burton loves the story as it is, and Disney is producing.

Monde Luna
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Monde Luna »

LunarRaptor wrote:The Queen has to be a boistrous, heavy-set, and bordorline animalistic creature of a being. She also has to be alot older than Carter is. Carter's more subtle and creepy approach to this kind of role just won't work, and her voice just can't reach the right pitch.

What it really boils down to is that I can't imagine her not being in a Burton/Depp/Elfman movie... they all belong together. :) At least I'm just used to them working together all the time. It's like seeing Lucy and Ricky, w/o Fred and Ethel it just doesn't feel right. I guess we will just see what happens when they start announcing you the cast is going to be.

On a side note I was pleasantly surprised with Carters work in Sweeney Todd. She wasn't Angela Lansbury (which was nice) but she did a good job.

LunarRaptor
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by LunarRaptor »

Well, I'm not saying that Carter shouldn't be in it, if that's what you're getting at. I just don't think she should play the Queen of Hearts.

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

It should be turned into a blood and gore horror flick that rivals the very horrorist movies ever produced in blood, gore, and horror. It should also remain marketed to kids. :twisted:

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

Isn't the tone of the Alice books dark for children books? I never read them, but I was under the impression that they were fairly dark. (I did read a brief section of Through the Looking Glass on Monday because there's reference to it in a Borges short story that I was reading.)

Also, does anyone remember that PC game that was based on Alice in Wonderland that was extremely violent? American McGee's Alice, I believe. Never played it, but it always creeped me out when I was at the game store.

Monde Luna
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Monde Luna »

phyco126 wrote:It should be turned into a blood and gore horror flick that rivals the very horrorist movies ever produced in blood, gore, and horror. It should also remain marketed to kids. :twisted:

Now I 'm starting to understand why you creeped people out w/ your old hair-do.

LunarRaptor
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by LunarRaptor »

Isn't the tone of the Alice books dark for children books? I never read them, but I was under the impression that they were fairly dark. (I did read a brief section of Through the Looking Glass on Monday because there's reference to it in a Borges short story that I was reading.)
Not really, no. Darker than most children's books would be now, but dark in and of itself: nope. It was about as dark as the original book for The Wizard of Oz, which wasn't much worse than the film "Return to Oz". Alice in Wonderland is just weird, really, really weird. Disney's adaptation was actually not too far from the mark. I think Burton could make the story about 70% true to the original book and have a brilliant work on his hands.
Also, does anyone remember that PC game that was based on Alice in Wonderland that was extremely violent? American McGee's Alice, I believe. Never played it, but it always creeped me out when I was at the game store.
Yep. :lol: I love the game. It was fairly fun. As an adaptationof Wonderland, as I remember it, it wasn't very close, though.

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

Werefrog wrote:Isn't the tone of the Alice books dark for children books? I never read them, but I was under the impression that they were fairly dark. (I did read a brief section of Through the Looking Glass on Monday because there's reference to it in a Borges short story that I was reading.)

I read the books a few years ago. I didn't think of them as particularly dark. Now, there are parts that are strange, and those, when portrayed in a certain light, can be made dark (McGee's Alice seemed to be all about that) or construed so by today's overprotective parents. Using literary analysis, it is possible to read the tales sexually. But I've always seen the two tales as (on the main) Lewis Carrol playing with logic in a world where the extraordinary is ordinary and logic is its magic. (As I recall, Through the Looking Glass's events followed the motions of a chess game.)

Children (and adults, and especially this one) are pleased by the vivid imagery, the need to find adventure that Alice experiences, and the liveliness even of the logic, while it proposes what are quite intriguing conundrums that reward looking deeper. I think it also made fun of classroom education. Some of the things are particular to 1865 England, but it's good enough to be lively despite it.

It also survives the tendency since Harry Potter to have most popular children's books to include an element of fantasy or magic, which even more modern books like Rascal and Number the Stars haven't taken so well.

So... I mean, I'm confident Tim Burton can do a good adaption. But I love the tales on their own too. ^_^
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

We always joked around about how Alice grew large and small by eating mushrooms and drinking bottled liquids. Add in the smoking catepillar and a few other bits and ends, we figured a lot of drug references were made. *shrugs*

In other news, Helena is supposed to play The Queen of Hearts. Depp will be playing the role of the Mad Hatter. Not sure who Lee will be playing, I'm sure there is a website out there that has the info though. *shrug*

And Monde Luna, pssh. I was going with the idea of that game several people mentioned. Though if anyone is up for it, I can describe some of my dreams and halucinations that merit the same description as I gave for what the film should have been like. XD