Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland.

Your general non-gaming entertainment thread.
Monde Luna
Blue Dragon Ninja
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Re: Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland.

Post by Monde Luna »

Good times! The movie and Pycho's dreams are beginning to sound more interesting by the minute.

LunarRaptor
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by LunarRaptor »

Forget just phyco's dreams. Let's get everyone's weird, wacked out dreamland visits on here! :mrgreen:
"All you have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf the Gray

LuNaRtIc
Bromide Hunter

Post by LuNaRtIc »

phyco126 wrote:We always joked around about how Alice grew large and small by eating mushrooms and drinking bottled liquids. Add in the smoking catepillar and a few other bits and ends, we figured a lot of drug references were made. *shrugs*
Many people are lead to believe that. However, all the shrinking and growing is a reference to growing up and puberty. The developing and changing of the body, and not feeling comfortable in one's own skin during that awkward stage. A main theme in Alice in Wonderland is how children are forced to grow up eventually and how it can be a hard transition. Children are thrown into the adult world where nothing makes sense.
Couldn't resist showing a bit of my inner Alice geek. :wink:

I've been looking forward to this for a while now. I love Tim Burton's work and Alice is one of my favorite books, second only to Peter Pan. :D
I absolutely adore Lewis Carroll, I'm fascinated by the man and his mind. And since this book is so close to my heart; I'm a little nervous. I can't say I'm THRILLED Johnny Depp is playing the Mad Hatter. I respect the man as an actor, he's brilliant, but his fanbase drives me nuts. I can already see fangirls flocking to the theater suddenly obsessed with Alice, though never having read the books or at least seen the Disney movie. The Mad Hatter will become some kind of dark sex symbol Hot Topic will no doubt milk for all it's worth. e_e

I guess the same thing happened to The Joker with Heath Ledger. I know it's a silly thing to be upset over, seeing as I have no control over it. That's my take on it anyway. I'll still check it out and hope my theater experience isn't ruined by rabid Depp fangirls. :lol:

Oh yeah, I have McGee's Alice too. Thought it could've been much darker than it was. :/
「美しい白い竜 愛しい白い竜…」
My avatar art was done by luleiya! <3

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

LuNaRtIc wrote:
phyco126 wrote:We always joked around about how Alice grew large and small by eating mushrooms and drinking bottled liquids. Add in the smoking catepillar and a few other bits and ends, we figured a lot of drug references were made. *shrugs*
Many people are lead to believe that. However, all the shrinking and growing is a reference to growing up and puberty. The developing and changing of the body, and not feeling comfortable in one's own skin during that awkward stage. A main theme in Alice in Wonderland is how children are forced to grow up eventually and how it can be a hard transition. Children are thrown into the adult world where nothing makes sense.
Couldn't resist showing a bit of my inner Alice geek. :wink:
Indeed it is. We just liked to joke about all the supposed drug references. We also made the connection that all the supposed adults acted like some sort of lunatic. Mad hatter, the king of hearts, the queen of hearts. Alice's frustrations with said people and the wanting to just go home by the adults wouldn't help her. I always took that to be a view point of kids. Adults don't make since and act strangely, and never seem to be willing to help, much less listen, to children.

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

LuNaRtIc
Bromide Hunter

Post by LuNaRtIc »

By the way, here's a picture of Johnny as the Hatter. I'm really hoping this is just a test shot or early costume design.

I'm scared. :cry:
PLEASE don't ruin this for me Burton!
「美しい白い竜 愛しい白い竜…」

Monde Luna
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Monde Luna »

Oh my that really is frightning... I imaginged Burton would be creative but that is just something else.

LunarRaptor
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by LunarRaptor »

:shock: Holy cow! That will make children weep, faint, and/or clutch at their mommies! I seriously hope Burton doesn't take a truly scary approach with it, because Alice really is a story for people of all ages.
"All you have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf the Gray

LuNaRtIc
Bromide Hunter

Post by LuNaRtIc »

I don't think he's particularly scary looking. I'm just disappointed because he looks like a bad drag queen. :(

Alice is okay, however I find it unfortunate she's not going to be a child like in the books. :(

Rumor's going around that Alice is 19 in this movie and runs away to Wonderland to escape an arranged marriage. She ends up falling in love with the Mad Hatter.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Please tell me it's not true!
「美しい白い竜 愛しい白い竜…」

Old Jericho
Reza Thief

Post by Old Jericho »

I'm sure that rumor was created the very moment some clever person heard that Johnny was playing the Mad Hatter.

I rather like the character design.
And really, what else do you expect from Burton?
This is my signature. It is a work of art.