Why so serious?[possible Dark Knight spoilers]

Your general non-gaming entertainment thread.
Ozone
Dragonmaster
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Why so serious?[possible Dark Knight spoilers]

Post by Ozone »

That no one here has written anything regarding the Dark Knight, because it's simply the best movie that I've seen since Return of the King. If you're gonna see a movie this summer... this better damn well be it.

PS - Heath Ledger's performance is all it is cracked up to be. The hype is wrong a lot of the time, but this just happens to be an exception to that.
"'There are no atheists in foxholes' isn't an argument against atheism, it's an argument against foxholes." - James Morrow
"I'll hit your head with the thunder clap, you're seeing Horus"

Guild_Premier_Ghaleon
Black Dragon Wizard

Re: I'm shocked

Post by Guild_Premier_Ghaleon »

Damn right! I went with my friends and they had intentions of doing nothing but cracking Heath Ledger jokes in horribly bad taste, but they were quickly silenced when they saw his performance. Was definately an amazing flick.
"Perhaps you should demonstrate the power which gives you such confidence. Then we shall see who is fit to be supreme ruler, and who... is dead!"

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Re: I'm shocked

Post by Sonic# »

I've been pleased by it. I took my brother to see it the day it came out.

It's definitely a thriller. And not Cesar Romero's Joker, by any means. ^_~
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Re: I'm shocked [possible Dark Knight spoilers]

Post by Kizyr »

I haven't commented because I just saw it yesterday. I was waiting until I could see it on IMAX with a couple other people, hence not seeing it opening night.

I have a difficult time articulating how
ABSOLUTELY INCREDIBLY AMAZING
the entire movie is.

I used to say Batman Begins was the best superhero movie ever created. And after seeing it, I thought "Damn, how can they top that?" Now, after seeing Dark Knight and being so completely floored, I'm thinking the same thing... how will they ever top this?

Let's start with the acting... Bruce Wayne, Batman, Alfred, Harvey Dent, Lucius Fox, of course The Joker, and even Rachel... Everyone was so brilliantly portrayed. I love how every character had his or her focus, no one person took the show, despite all of them having such prominent roles (particularly Christian Bale, Aaron Eckhart, and Heath Ledger). I can't overstate how amazingly incredible everyone was.

The story... the backstory... I... well... To start, Harvey Dent has always been one of my favorite characters in all superhero stories. His own story is so incredibly tragic, and I intentionally avoided finding out how much he would figure into the story--all I knew was that he was in it, and nothing more. So, it was great, yet gut-wrenching, to see him throughout the movie.

Joker... perfect. I've always liked the mind-based villains, the ones who could design intricate plans and traps, and could stay one step ahead of the hero (Lex Luthor, for instance, is my favorite villain in general). But, I dislike insane villains, since it's usually a letdown when you figure out "oh, he's just doing this 'cause he's nuts." But Joker... yes, he was a psychopath, but you still saw what he was after, what goal he had in mind. It was just like Alfred said... "some people just want to watch the world burn"; Joker would toss away rubies or burn piles of money--he knew that he could turn an entire city chaotic with just a few drums of gasoline and some well-placed threats.

I just don't know how to describe the movie overall. It was tense. I was holding onto a tissue at the beginning of the movie, and by the end I was holding onto the same tattered piece of tissue... The movie didn't let up, it had no wasted time, it didn't overdo or underdo anything... It was perfect. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

exigence
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by exigence »

I saw the midnight premier then later the next week really great movie. the pencil trick was great. for anyone who has seen it both in theaters and imax how much better was it, do i need to go see it a third time?

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

The IMAX version is mostly an enlarged version of the same 35mm one. Except, there are several scenes (like city-wide shots) where it's enlarged up to the full IMAX size. Not to mention all the things that really take advantage of the sound system.

So yeah, it's worth the $10-$15 to see it in IMAX. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Guild_Premier_Ghaleon
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Guild_Premier_Ghaleon »

But, I dislike insane villains, since it's usually a letdown when you figure out "oh, he's just doing this 'cause he's nuts." But Joker... yes, he was a psychopath, but you still saw what he was after, what goal he had in mind.
Actually, in the Batman comics at Arkam Asylum the Joker is not actually classified as being insane. People always say he's just a loon with no actual super powers, but in actuality it is said within the comics that his 'power' is a super psyche. He is capable of completely rebuilding himself day after day to deal with modern day life, hence the numerous stories concerning his origin in both the Dark Knight and the Batman comics.
"Perhaps you should demonstrate the power which gives you such confidence. Then we shall see who is fit to be supreme ruler, and who... is dead!"

Ozone
Dragonmaster

Post by Ozone »

I saw this for a second time this past weekend, it's even better the second time around xD

Why so serious?

PS - The Pencil Trick is also better the second time around xD
"'There are no atheists in foxholes' isn't an argument against atheism, it's an argument against foxholes." - James Morrow
"I'll hit your head with the thunder clap, you're seeing Horus"

Jenner
Dragonmaster

Re: Why so serious?[possible Dark Knight spoilers]

Post by Jenner »

The Pencil trick is my most favorite magic trick ever.
The Infamous Jenner!
Maker of Lists.
RIP Coley...
still adore you Kiz.

LuNaRtIc
Bromide Hunter

Post by LuNaRtIc »

Saw the movie 3 times so far and planning on going a fourth.
Did anyone else actually like Maggie Gyllenhaal MORE than Katie Holmes, or am I just weird? I thought she did an excellent job. However, most of the time I just hear people rant about how horrible she was at other sites. :(

And I can't really put into words how much I loved Ledger's Joker. :D
「美しい白い竜 愛しい白い竜…」
My avatar art was done by luleiya! <3

brit
White Dragon Knight

Post by brit »

I've seen this movie twice now.
&&
I must say Heath is AMZING! :DDDD
I loved his version of the joker.
"Wanna see a magic trick?"
BAM
xD

I really wanna see it a few more times before it leaves theaters though. :[

3DS | 3652-1775-0152
PSN | Psychobrit08
SWITCH | SW-1497-7723-9594

** please let me know if you add me **

exigence
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by exigence »

We have a dollar theater round my place that picks up movies after a few weeks. check round maybe there's one near you.

brit
White Dragon Knight

Post by brit »

LuNaRtIc wrote: Did anyone else actually like Maggie Gyllenhaal MORE than Katie Holmes, or am I just weird?
O.O They changed Rachel's? wow. I didn't even notice. I guess I liked the one in dark knight better. in Batman Begins, I really didn't like her at all. <-- Simply the character not the actress.

3DS | 3652-1775-0152
PSN | Psychobrit08
SWITCH | SW-1497-7723-9594

** please let me know if you add me **

dragonmaster-Ghaleon
Lann Fisherman

Post by dragonmaster-Ghaleon »

i loved this movie.. almost on par with the first two batman movies in my opinion .. heath ledger made a excellant joker he better get an award for this performance.. and lts not forget harvey dent... it was a great movie but i still love the first two batman movies that tim burton directed the best
"truly if there is a god of destiny he is fond of plot twists ..and so am i"

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

brit wrote:
LuNaRtIc wrote: Did anyone else actually like Maggie Gyllenhaal MORE than Katie Holmes, or am I just weird?
O.O They changed Rachel's? wow. I didn't even notice.
Yes, much to the joy of people world wide. I'm still ticked about it.

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Maru
Bromide Hunter

Post by Maru »

phyco126 wrote:
brit wrote:
O.O They changed Rachel's? wow. I didn't even notice.
Yes, much to the joy of people world wide. I'm still ticked about it.
I thought Gyllenhaal did a much better job fitting the role than Holmes. Don't get me wrong; I respect Holmes and enjoy some of her previous roles, but Gyllenhaal is a much more solid actress and fit better in the over-all appeal and tone of the film.

exigence
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by exigence »

I didn't notice they switched Rachel's either, I guess because neither of them were great looking. Cmon Batman can do better than her.

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

exigence wrote:I didn't notice they switched Rachel's either, I guess because neither of them were great looking. Cmon Batman can do better than her.
Meh, personal opinion for ya. I personally found Holmes in Batman Begins to be, rawr.

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

exigence wrote:I didn't notice they switched Rachel's either, I guess because neither of them were great looking. Cmon Batman can do better than her.
I have to object on two counts.

1. It's she that can do better than Batman, not the other way around. (Harvey Dent!)
2. Um, I find Maggie Gyllenhaal (sp?) to be one of the most attractive actresses ever (at least to me), in addition to being an effective one. And Katie Holmes is quite fine as well. I guess that's how taste goes.
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

exigence
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by exigence »

Katies eyes look goofy to me, like they're off center, not just a little bit like way off center. it might have just been the way they did her make up for batman. because she looks good in other movies.

Maggie Gyllenhaal i cant even begin to tackle that one.Image