What are you currently reading?

Your general non-gaming entertainment thread.
Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Post by Sonic# »

I'd have to agree with the others. There was this one time specifically, as I was leaving the FOTR movie (I had brought the book with me, and possessed pants with large enough pockets to hold it), when I went to the restroom. There was this other guy there, and he started talking about how awesome the movie is, which caught me totally off guard, because I'm not used to talking in the restroom, even with friends, unless we're being silly. He then asked about the book and was going to read it and everything. Despite the weirdness of the situation, that made me happy.

It does seem like a bandwagon, yes, but as long as it's well enough done (which some aren't), I don't mind. A movie's a different medium, with different kinds of presentation available. A good adaption should take advantage of that. Having movie adaptions unavailable would not prompt many people to read. It might make them stop pretending they know the plot so intricately, but somehow I think some of them would get a hold of Cliff notes anyhow, if required.

artzi
Red Dragon Priest

Post by artzi »

[spoiler]Terry Pratchett's The Wee Free Men[/spoiler]

MiaOne
Dragonmaster

Post by MiaOne »

Finished that King Arthur series and now I'm on to The Da Vinci Code, I'm sure everyone has pretty much heard of it :P Pretty self explainatory.
Lunar: Dragon Song sucked

Nicole Reannin Elgan-Moore
We will always remember...

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Spoiler tags do no good if you don't say what you're spoiling. It's also bloody stupid to use them when you don't need to; it'll only result in some people not reading what you're posting for them to read, and other people getting annoyed.

I have The Da Vinci Code around here somewhere, borrowed from my former landlady, but I haven't gotten around to reading it and haven't really been that inclined to. I think pretty soon I'll have to start rereading the Harry Potters so I'm set for the next one; with her penchant for bringing in obscure characters from earlier books I know I'll need to bone up. The annoying thing is that the book comes out the day I'll be driving up to Vancouver with my sister and fiance, and so I have to choose between ordering it and potentially being delayed in departure (last time it didn't arrive until at least 2pm) or braving a bookstore. I want to get it before leaving anyway since it's about a 15 hour trip.

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

Ah, I've been fleeing through the Harry Potter books already, but I suspect I don't read at as fast of a pace as you do; I estimate it'll take me another week to finish, and I'm a little more than a third through book 4.

I also read The Picture of Dorian Grey on the side, by ... Oscar Wilde. Gaaaah, I want to say Orson Welles, but that's way off. I did enjoy the book a whole lot though. It's a much different feel than J.K. Rowling, more wordy, with more eloquent and artificial dialogue, but I don't think he went overboard with it either, and his descriptions were well done.
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

MiaOne
Dragonmaster

Post by MiaOne »

Alunissage wrote: I think pretty soon I'll have to start rereading the Harry Potters so I'm set for the next one; with her penchant for bringing in obscure characters from earlier books I know I'll need to bone up. The annoying thing is that the book comes out the day I'll be driving up to Vancouver with my sister and fiance, and so I have to choose between ordering it and potentially being delayed in departure (last time it didn't arrive until at least 2pm) or braving a bookstore. I want to get it before leaving anyway since it's about a 15 hour trip.

Oh...I had completely forgot...I am not going to be able to get through all the Harry Potters again before the next one comes out. Damn. I need like cliff notes or something lol.

One of my best friends works at this local bookstore and I preordered the new Harry Potter from his bookstore so I'm probably going to get the book as soon as it's humanly possible to get one :D

keele864
Red Dragon Priest

Post by keele864 »

I'm currently reading A Game of Thrones and (still) One Hundred Years of Solitude. I'm also anticipating the new Harry Potter book.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

I just finished the book on ADD I started three years ago. >_< Not entirely my fault; I've moved four times since then and the last time at least it never got unpacked.

Hopefully can start HP tonight or tomorrow. It'll kill my work concentration, though, so maybe I'd better grit my teeth and hope I remember enough of them to be able to read the new one without going "huh? whozzat?" every other page.

MiaOne
Dragonmaster

Post by MiaOne »

I'm just going to watch the HP movies and hope that's sufficant. Maybe scan some basic outlining chapters in the 4th and 5th books. lol Yeah I know I'm going to be so lost.

Rune Lai
Bromide Hunter

Post by Rune Lai »

Alunissage wrote:maybe I'd better grit my teeth and hope I remember enough of them to be able to read the new one without going "huh? whozzat?" every other page.

That's what I'm going to do. That, and hassle my coworker who's a much bigger Potter fan than me. :) I really wish Rowling was more installment-friendly regarding bringing up people she's already introduced. It's a long time between books and that's plenty of time to forget.
You have taught us the pity to live.
But I will not forget the beauty of life itself.
--Hyuui Riin, Phantasy Star II
-- http://www.sabrecat.net/ --

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Actually, I've read through the first two and a half HPs today and will finish the third tonight, so I'll probably get through them all before Saturday even given the larger size of the other two. But yeah, it's annoying to feel that you're missing stuff. On the other hand, I prefer this problem to that of the author's forgetting details of earlier series installments and screwing things up; there are few errors of that sort in the HPs.

MiaOne
Dragonmaster

Post by MiaOne »

I just finished The Da Vinci Codes and I'm moving on to Angels and Demons despite the urge that I'll need to brush up on the HPs, if I get too lost I'll just read the whole series again.

Asmodean
Legendary Hero

Post by Asmodean »

I'm currently workin' on The Runaway Jury by John Grisham. I had jury duty and my Aunt let me borrow it. I got half-way through the book before they called me and then I got excused anyway. HA!

Anywho... I don't thinK I'll need to re-read the Harry Potter books, I might just for fun. I still have to re-finish my Robert Jordan series for the next book in that series. As for gettin' the next Harry Potter book, I won't have a problem. I'll work late that night and then I'll have the Overnight Manager ring me out. I get first picks and I only have to pay like 12 bucks for hardcover. As all the B&N people stand in line and fight for a 40 dollar book.
:: maniacal laughter ::
ImageImageImage

LuciaOne
Goddess

Post by LuciaOne »

I'm reading The Princess Bride.
So much better than the movie!
(the movie is fabulous- don't get me wrong, Cary Elwes is LOVEHOTNESS)
I found my old siggie! MUAH HAHAHAHAHA!!!
~~~
Sir Kizyr: ::high-pitched voice:: Ohh lookit me, I'm a cute li'l elf!
MiaAusa: Oh wait! NO I GET IT.
MiaAusa: It's him finally fessing up the the fact that HE IS a cut li'l elf. :d
MiaAusa: Hey, chance" NO I GET IT" to "NOW I GET IT"
MiaAusa: change**
MiaAusa: I'm mad with grammar today
MiaAusa: bad**

I'm mad with grammar too.
~~~
Sir Kizyr: Here's a lovely song about my favorite food
Sir Kizyr: Lima, lento, soy, and pinto ~ Navy, northern, and garbanzo! ~ Kidneys and frijoles negros
Sir Kizyr: I love beans, I love beans, woo woo woo! ~ How 'bout you? ~ High in fiber ~ Low in fat ~ Hey, I betcha didn't know that
Sir Kizyr: When I eat beans, I sit in my little cloud, I don't know why ~ maybe 'cause I'm cuttin' muffins ~~ Because....
Sir Kizyr: I love beans! Hey hey hey! ~ I love beans everyday! ~ Beans are an excellent source of protein ~ I love beans!
Sir Kizyr: Diggydoo!
~~~

keele864
Red Dragon Priest

Post by keele864 »

I just finished The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis. I started Murder in Mesopotamia tonight and am already about halfway done.

MiaOne
Dragonmaster

Post by MiaOne »

I am reading Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince if anyone care to know. And people have already spoiled it for me and I'm pissed. :evil:

localflick
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by localflick »

Stranger Than Fiction by Chuck Palahaniuk

It's about the events in his life that he used to write his novels. How books like Fight Club have elements of all his friend's lives and the Fruedian id/superego thing all tossed in a blender to make a story. People actually give him free food in restaurants because he's "that guy." He gets annoyed when people ask him where the nearest Fight Club is and he has to explain that it's just a story. I like this one a lot more than his fictional works.

Ramza
Nanza Bandit

Post by Ramza »

I once read a short story by Chuck called "Guts" that he didn't even write, he just sort of spouted off one day at a book signing (apparently). It's really WILDLY vulgar, but it almost sounds like a true story when you read it.

Ramza

Rune Lai
Bromide Hunter

Post by Rune Lai »

Got the latest issue of the fantasy magazine Black Gate. Given all the overtime I'm doing, it'll be all I can do to get through this over the next few weeks.
You have taught us the pity to live.
But I will not forget the beauty of life itself.
--Hyuui Riin, Phantasy Star II
-- http://www.sabrecat.net/ --

localflick
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by localflick »

I think Guts is in Stranger than Fiction. Chuck gets really vulgar sometimes; there were a couple of the short stories I just didn't want to finish. In reading his fiction he always has such messed up characters and interesting metaphors. This book kind of explains where it all came from. He's had a very messed up life!