Anime Conventions

Your general non-gaming entertainment thread.
LuNaRtIc
Bromide Hunter
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Anime Conventions

Post by LuNaRtIc »

It's getting to be that time of year again. Con season is just around the corner. I'll be attending my favorite convention in a few weeks; Anime Central in Chicago.

Usually I ask if anyone from the L-Net boards are attending. I would really like to meet up with some fellow Lunar fans who are a part of the forums. I never had any luck though. The closest I got was seeing LuciaOne at Acen back in 2006. However I didn't realize it was her and didn't stop to talk. (Too busy stalking Quinton Flynn. :P )

So is anyone going? If not, I thought it would still be fun to start a thread about anime cons. Who else enjoys conventions and which cons do you attend? How long have you been going to cons? Do you cosplay? What's your favorite part of conventions? Share! :D
「美しい白い竜 愛しい白い竜…」
My avatar art was done by luleiya! <3

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Re: Anime Conventions

Post by Werefrog »

I've thought about going to Anime Central before. Besides Gencon, it's probably the closest con to me. I don't think it will happen this year though. I'm probably going to be working a lot this summer. I may be able to go for a day or two. I'll definitely think about it.

Dark_Fairy
White Dragon Knight

Post by Dark_Fairy »

I probably wouldn't be able to go this year. I've never been to a convention, but like I've said before, I would love to go to one. Anime Central would actually be something reasonable since its not that far from where I live. Maybe next year would work though, depending on the dates since next year I'm going to Europe on a trip for nine days in June.

CatsWithMatches
Red Dragon Priest

Post by CatsWithMatches »

It'll be my 5th year at acen! (and we actually got into the hyatt, and already have our badges!)

I'll be on the lookout...

Guild_Premier_Ghaleon
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Guild_Premier_Ghaleon »

Well, I wont be attending this year, but maybe next. I'm an anime addict, but unfortunately, I'm one of very few in my general area. I have a convention here in Minnesota, Anime Detour, but all the Minnesota otaku live up in that area, while I live in a tiny little town two-hours away. I have two or three real anime buddies, and they're obsession is far from my own. They attend the local con with me, but so far have not been swayed by my pleading to take a road trip to some of the larger ones. However! I think I've finally pursuaded them, so, I may be attending next year. Don't get me wrong, the Detour is amazing. I'm a veteran, gone all five years, but I wanna check out the others too. ; ;
"Perhaps you should demonstrate the power which gives you such confidence. Then we shall see who is fit to be supreme ruler, and who... is dead!"

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

I've always wanted to try and go to one, but never have gotten around to it. I'd go more for just meeting people from here and such than anime though. While I generally admire the art style, I've barely watched any anime in my entire life. I could probably do a Chicago convention at some point. Maybe next year. East coast is pushing it (though I always did want to partake in a Lunar panel with Kiz and the gang) but if there's any midwest ones over the summer, it's always a possibility.

A lot of us old timers always talked about meeting up and having a "Lunar convention" but it never panned out. I think we decided somewhere like St. Louis or Chicago was best, due to most Lunar fans being on the east coast or midwest. Would always be fun.
-G1

Ozone
Dragonmaster

Post by Ozone »

Well, I won't be attending a convention, but there's a strong chance that I'll be in Chicago for at least part of the summer. :P
"'There are no atheists in foxholes' isn't an argument against atheism, it's an argument against foxholes." - James Morrow
"I'll hit your head with the thunder clap, you're seeing Horus"

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

I go to Otakon and Katsucon every year that I'm in town, which has been every year since 2002 with the exception of Katsucon '04.

Also, at the last two Otakons we had the Lunar panel, with the help of Dragonmaster Lou. So, if you go to any convention, you should go for that one. It's in late July in Baltimore.

And I know it's a trek. But come on, what better anime conventions are there? Not many. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Jenner
Dragonmaster

Post by Jenner »

Kizyr wrote:I go to Otakon and Katsucon every year that I'm in town, which has been every year since 2002 with the exception of Katsucon '04.

Also, at the last two Otakons we had the Lunar panel, with the help of Dragonmaster Lou. So, if you go to any convention, you should go for that one. It's in late July in Baltimore.

And I know it's a trek. But come on, what better anime conventions are there? Not many. KF
If you go, bring spray on body deodorant, a whole bag of it, and just douse people.
The Infamous Jenner!
Maker of Lists.
RIP Coley...
still adore you Kiz.

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

Post by Benevolent_Ghaleon »

That's just what everyone needs. A room full of people that are trying to pass off Axe and Tag as a shower.

Ozone
Dragonmaster

Post by Ozone »

I'll just bring mace instead.... and maybe a whole lot of air fresheners.
"'There are no atheists in foxholes' isn't an argument against atheism, it's an argument against foxholes." - James Morrow
"I'll hit your head with the thunder clap, you're seeing Horus"

WD RPG WD
White Dragon Knight

Post by WD RPG WD »

I'l be back in the DC area in July so I can probably make it to the Baltimore convention, as long as I'm not left alone with Kiz. :shock:

HiroOne
Red Dragon Priest

Post by HiroOne »

Kizyr wrote:I go to Otakon and Katsucon every year that I'm in town, which has been every year since 2002 with the exception of Katsucon '04.

See you there

Dragonmaster Lou
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Dragonmaster Lou »

Another good convention, if you guys can make it, is Anime Boston. I'm on staff there as their panel coordinator, so I can ram through any Lunar panel requests (much like I did in the past at Otakon before I got burnt out :P). Now, I wouldn't expect people to come from far and wide to Anime Boston, but if you happen to be within reasonable distance of the Boston area, it's a great con that's getting to be almost as big as Otakon (where I am back on staff again, but that's another story, heh).
"Guts can turn a 30% chance into a 100% chance!" - Taiga Kohtarou
Personal home page: http://www.techhouse.org/~lou
Lunar page: http://www.techhouse.org/~lou/lunar/
AMV page: http://www.tealstudios.com

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

I should add that mid-sized conventions tend to have a good chance of being in that "just right" stage. In other words, not too big as to be overwhelming (like some people find Otakon to be), and not too small as to have nothing to it (like AnimeUSA was its first few years, or that one in Richmond). I still enjoy Otakon since I find just those specific things I like, instead of trying to take it all in.

If I were in the Boston area, I'd definitely go. But... Boston is just way too north for me. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Dragonmaster Lou
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Dragonmaster Lou »

True, although Anime Boston is getting to be close to Otakon size (last year it reached 15,000 people). I hear Katsukon and Connecticon are good smaller/medium cons, though.
"Guts can turn a 30% chance into a 100% chance!" - Taiga Kohtarou
Personal home page: http://www.techhouse.org/~lou
Lunar page: http://www.techhouse.org/~lou/lunar/
AMV page: http://www.tealstudios.com

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

Dragonmaster Lou wrote:True, although Anime Boston is getting to be close to Otakon size (last year it reached 15,000 people). I hear Katsukon and Connecticon are good smaller/medium cons, though.
Well... Katsucon's been having periodic troubles. Next year it'll be back close to where I live (the Hyatt Regency literally walking distance from me--although, it's going to be way too small, I think). I think it's a bit larger than medium, maybe medium-high.

Oh, and I'll be going to DragonCon this year, it seems. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

LuNaRtIc
Bromide Hunter

Post by LuNaRtIc »

Okay, take two at trying to meet some fellow L-Net members at a con.
I'll be appearing at Youmacon in Detroit.
Anyone else? xD
「美しい白い竜 愛しい白い竜…」
My avatar art was done by luleiya! <3