Star wars? O.o

Your general non-gaming entertainment thread.
brit
White Dragon Knight
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Star wars? O.o

Post by brit »

I was just wondering why so many people seem to be into it. I myself have never seen even 1 of the many movies.

So tell me why do you like or dislike it?

3DS | 3652-1775-0152
PSN | Psychobrit08
SWITCH | SW-1497-7723-9594

** please let me know if you add me **

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Re: Star wars? O.o

Post by Sonic# »

Star Wars has just been one of those things for me. Let me go through the history.

I watched it some on TV as a child. Then the extended edition came out, and I got those on tape. I watched those nearly as much as Aladdin or the Indiana Jones films... which, I may add, is a lot of times. Then by middle school, I'd gotten into the novels. Pretty soon, I'd read most of the ones out at that time, had read a lot of the guides to vehicles and so on, and... yeah. Then as the new trilogy came out, interest cooled. I just spent time looking into other stuff, more of the books weren't based on my favorite characters, and so on. And now... I know a lot, like it a lot, but I could no longer defeat anyone in a trivia contest, because I haven't kept up and because it's become more impossible to keep up.

Why do I like it? First, I can't hide my thinly veiled appreciation of all things technology in the movies. This is probably because I played the video games, like TIE Fighter, and they featured all of the starships and left many, many good memories. And even then... I just like ship specs. I'm weird in that way.

Second, it's got a lot of... well, spirit. Especially the original trilogy, which I'd recommend you watch first. The characters aren't necessarily original, but they are done very well. Han Solo, Princess Leia... they're very likeable, and I always empathize with them, even with Darth Vader to a certain extent. Combine that with good pacing in the action, a plot that neither tries to be profound nor patronizes you... It's gripped me.

The new set of movies (Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones, Revenge of the Sith) don't work as well in this regard, but they're still perfectly good movies. They just don't go that extra level the other three movies go. So watch the original. And if you like it, watch another. Rinse and repeat. :)
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

AlexHiro4
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by AlexHiro4 »

I was 9 years old when I saw a Star Wars movies for the first time. They were showing the original trilogy on tv one weekend and I just happened to catch the Empire Strikes Back. I liked it so much that I watched Return of the Jedi the very next night. After watching both of those I rented A New Hope and was totally hooked after that. I had this really generic light-up sword that I pretended was a lightsaber. My friends thought I was retarded, but they still had imaginary lightsaber duels with me anyway (they were very tollerant friends). By the time I got to high school my Star Wars obsession had cooled off quite a bit. However, when The Phantom Menace came out I got hooked again. Unfortunately, this time I'd have to wait multiple years between sequels. That SUCKED!

Anyway, I have multiple reasons why I like Star Wars. The special effects are good, the story is deep (the story expands FAR beyond the movies), the characters are loveable and memorable, the concept of The Force is really cool, and lightsabers.....well they just freaking ROCK! Overall, I love it because of the good memories that rush back whenever I watch the movies. Kind of like playing the Lunar games actually. :wink:
Dwight: "One thing about deer, they have very good vision. One thing about me, I am better at hiding than they are...at vision."

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

I love star wars! I even play Star Wars Galaxies! I am gonna buy Star Wars Legos! I have played several other SW games such as KOTOR1/2!

Why?

1. Light sabers
2. Natalie Portman
3. Princess Leia as Jabba's slave

XD XD XD

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

brit
White Dragon Knight

Post by brit »

Hm, well you guys seem to enjoy it. :D

I was just wondering how good it was because every time I mention to someone that I’ve never seen it they tend to freak out about it -_-

My sister is into a little she has one book and the last 2 movies I believe.
Maybe during the summer I’ll give the trilogy a go.

3DS | 3652-1775-0152
PSN | Psychobrit08
SWITCH | SW-1497-7723-9594

** please let me know if you add me **

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

I freak out more when someone hasn't seen it because it's a movie that is very hard not to see, from my point of view. Flawed logic it is, to the dark side, it is not.

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Ozone
Dragonmaster

Post by Ozone »

I only liked the classic trilogy, IV, V, and VI. To be honest, the only thing that makes the movies work is Harrison Ford as Han Solo, everything else is mediocre at best =/ I'm not a fan of the prequels.
"'There are no atheists in foxholes' isn't an argument against atheism, it's an argument against foxholes." - James Morrow
"I'll hit your head with the thunder clap, you're seeing Horus"

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

Post by Benevolent_Ghaleon »

I never got into Star Wars. I learned enough about it to properly enjoy Spaceballs and then i quit looking into it.

Sadrin
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Sadrin »

Star wars is Ok... I went to the last 3 movies on opening night just to go. It's fun to be apart of all of that. I think the last movie was really bad. Oh and the acting is so bad! For something to be so large all around the world you would think they could hire better actors. I do understand that it changed alot in the way of movies. If star wars was never made... Whoa... we might not have lunar.
Depend On You Changed My Life.

Deathblood
Student of Vane
Location: In survitude to The Reapers and about to kill Commander Shepard

Post by Deathblood »

I like it caus I am fond of the futuristic plot scheme. Also, I love the lightsabers and the other tech. The cross of midevil and future with the lightsabers was a good combo. And I've heard about the new one coming out. It doesn't look as good as the others (mostly Episode 3), but I'm gonna watch it anyways since it may be better than I think. Hope it won't destroy anything sacred from the unanimated ones. All I can say about it is good luck. :)
Ways of death comes in many shapes. But there are only a few shapes of death itself.[/i]

MaroonChan
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by MaroonChan »

I never was hugely into Star Wars. I saw parts of Episode I, and seen Episode III which I enjoyed. I should try watching the others. Maybe try the books, but who knows if that'll happen. I do however, want to see the new Star Wars movie. Hopefully I can.

Anyone ever play that light saber game? That plug in one? That one rocked. >D Never got too far though. That thing could kill your arm.

Deathblood
Student of Vane
Location: In survitude to The Reapers and about to kill Commander Shepard

Post by Deathblood »

MaroonChan wrote: Anyone ever play that light saber game? That plug in one? That one rocked. >D Never got too far though. That thing could kill your arm.
No, what's it called? You got me interested. Btw, did you hear about the Star Wars game for the Wii? Makes me want to buy the Wii just for that game (maybe Wii Sports too).I think it's also called The Clone Wars. Maybe I'll be able to play the demo of it at Wal-Mart.
Ways of death comes in many shapes. But there are only a few shapes of death itself.[/i]