Is Metallica EVER gonna make a new album?

Your general non-gaming entertainment thread.

Do you think Metallica will ever make a new album?

Yes
4
50%
No
4
50%
 
Total votes: 8
Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED
Posts: 1694
Joined: Fri Aug 11, 2006 2:43 pm

Re: Is Metallica EVER gonna make a new album?

Postby Benevolent_Ghaleon » Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:35 pm

I don't know, man. They acted like a bunch of vaginas about the whole Napster thing. Like it did that much damage to them.. :roll:

User avatar
DezoPenguin
Red Dragon Priest
Posts: 249
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:39 am
Location: Maine

Re: Is Metallica EVER gonna make a new album?

Postby DezoPenguin » Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:37 pm

exigence wrote:I just dont see how you guys can discredit personality and character, it has a direct impact on the work itself. If you really examine it you'd be able to pick up on the subtle diffrences.


I think the point is, if in fact some quality of the artist does show through in the work, then that quality will be present in the work itself. If you have to know the history and personality/beliefs of the artist to appreciate the point, then you're no longer dealing with the viewer interpreting the art, you have the viewer interpreting the art and the artist.

What you need to do is find someone who's never heard of Metallica and play random selections of their music from various points in their careers, and get that person's impressions of things. Better yet, get lots of someones so you have an adequate sample size. If, as you say, Metallica "sold out" their "musical integrity" for the sake of money, then the viewers should be able to see that the older music is of superior artistic quality. If, on the other hand, you have to know that Metallica "sold out" to "recognize" the older music as "better," then you're not seeing the music at all, just your own opinion of their actions as people and projecting your expectations onto the music.

(In the interest of full disclosure, I don't like metal and quite possibly have never heard a song by Metallica in my thirty-six years of life, so I don't have a horse in this race at all.)

The point we're making is that yes, the personal circumstances of the artist do affect the work. After all, the music was made by Metallica, not by Michael Jackson or Black Sabbath or Britney Spears or Korn; obviously the talent and personality of the individual will be reflected in the music. But the music stands on its own; you can't judge it based on what you think of the people making it.

And here's another, not entirely unconnected point. Invariably, whenever an artist (especially a musician, since music is most easily susceptible to this sort of movement, though it can apply to other art also) moves from being a "niche" taste to a more mainstream commercial success, those who were originally fans of the artist will complain that the artist has "sold out" and all their later work sucks (or is, at the least, inferior). Now, that may be true--they may literally be deliberately changing their product to appeal to the art-buying public for the sake of money. Likewise, there's always the "lowest common denominator" suspicion (if THAT many people like it, how can it be good, given that 90% of the population is a low-grade moron--the logical fallacy, by the way, of mistaking a large number of independent decisions for a mob mentality). But there's also a strong ego factor at work, not merely the usual cries of "elitism" (though they apply, too) but also the genuine loss of something personal and special. The simple fact that I have never in my life ever heard anyone say about anything that it got better after it got popular (even though the law of averages suggests that at least some of the time it ought to) makes me very suspicious of any accusations that an artist has "sold out."

User avatar
AlexHiro4
Red Dragon Priest
Posts: 241
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:56 pm
Location: Chattanooga, Tennessee
Contact:

Re: Is Metallica EVER gonna make a new album?

Postby AlexHiro4 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:57 pm

Benevolent_Ghaleon wrote:I don't know, man. They acted like a bunch of vaginas about the whole Napster thing. Like it did that much damage to them.. :roll:

1) LARS acted like a vagina. From what I remember the rest of the guys agreed with the anti-Napster stance, but they weren't nearly as vocal as Lars. I think the had a valid stance against the issue, but because of Lars they kind of went about it the wrong way.
2) Downloading music for free is stealing. It doesn't matter whether or not the artist is rich or poor. The principle of taking something that's not yours is wrong. Metallica worked very hard on their products and it's a slap in their face to download their songs for free instead of spending money on buying their albums. I know that I wouldn't want people to get my music for free if I actually had an album out. From what I've been told by fellow musicians, studio recording is a very tedious process and is a lot of hard work. Why shouldn't musicians be rewarded for that work? I do realize that the recording companies get the biggest cut of the profits from albums, but the musicians do get something. It's just plain wrong.
Dwight: "One thing about deer, they have very good vision. One thing about me, I am better at hiding than they are...at vision."
Image

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED
Posts: 1694
Joined: Fri Aug 11, 2006 2:43 pm

Re: Is Metallica EVER gonna make a new album?

Postby Benevolent_Ghaleon » Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:00 pm

I'm somewhat glad they did since it got me to programs that have more than audio files.

User avatar
exigence
Blue Dragon Ninja
Posts: 571
Joined: Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:32 pm
Location: ohio

Re: Is Metallica EVER gonna make a new album?

Postby exigence » Sat Apr 12, 2008 5:19 pm

DezoPenguin wrote:The simple fact that I have never in my life ever heard anyone say about anything that it got better after it got popular


Eamples of bands that got better with age: Acid Bath, Rage Against The Machine, Radiohead, Tom Waits. With the exception of acid bath all of them made a good deal of cash, but their albums have continually gotten better. Teres plenty of bands that have gotten better with out alienating their fans for a few buckaroos.
Image

User avatar
Ozone
Dragonmaster
Posts: 3039
Joined: Wed Dec 25, 2002 2:06 pm
Location: .above.the.weeping.world.
Contact:

Re: Is Metallica EVER gonna make a new album?

Postby Ozone » Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:27 pm

exigence wrote:
DezoPenguin wrote:The simple fact that I have never in my life ever heard anyone say about anything that it got better after it got popular


Eamples of bands that got better with age: Acid Bath, Rage Against The Machine, Radiohead, Tom Waits. With the exception of acid bath all of them made a good deal of cash, but their albums have continually gotten better. Teres plenty of bands that have gotten better with out alienating their fans for a few buckaroos.


I have to pull exception with Radiohead and Rage Against the Machine. Radiohead never topped OK Computer, and Rage never topped Evil Empire.
"'There are no atheists in foxholes' isn't an argument against atheism, it's an argument against foxholes." - James Morrow
"I'll hit your head with the thunder clap, you're seeing Horus"

User avatar
exigence
Blue Dragon Ninja
Posts: 571
Joined: Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:32 pm
Location: ohio

Re: Is Metallica EVER gonna make a new album?

Postby exigence » Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:42 am

They didn't top ok computer? They were giving In Rainbows, out for free. I could see the argument for rage battle for los angeles was just as good, renagades dosn't count it was a cover album. Frank Zappa never sold out thats for sure.
Image

User avatar
Ozone
Dragonmaster
Posts: 3039
Joined: Wed Dec 25, 2002 2:06 pm
Location: .above.the.weeping.world.
Contact:

Re: Is Metallica EVER gonna make a new album?

Postby Ozone » Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:31 pm

exigence wrote:They didn't top ok computer? They were giving In Rainbows, out for free. I could see the argument for rage battle for los angeles was just as good, renagades dosn't count it was a cover album. Frank Zappa never sold out thats for sure.


I dunno, giving it out for free didn't make the musicianship better.

I will say that Nine Inch Nails has gotten much better with their last two albums.
"'There are no atheists in foxholes' isn't an argument against atheism, it's an argument against foxholes." - James Morrow
"I'll hit your head with the thunder clap, you're seeing Horus"

User avatar
kyle1992
Red Dragon Priest
Posts: 113
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2007 2:04 am
Location: in my basement playing my drums

Re: Is Metallica EVER gonna make a new album?

Postby kyle1992 » Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:05 am

Benevolent_Ghaleon wrote:If they're smart they won't. Bands can't drop a lot of levels in popularity and then just jump right back. They also can't just change in style. If there are too many changes (which doesn't have to be many) or there has been too much of a break between the last major hit, they won't be accepted back. Sorta like when a mother bird won't touch the "tainted" chick.


I hear ya i mean look at Rush. The kept their style even to this day(by the way on a little side note I saw them last year. They were awsome!).
"may you go with god's protection"-Nicholas D.Wolfwood

User avatar
dragonmaster-Ghaleon
Lann Fisherman
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:28 am
Contact:

Re: Is Metallica EVER gonna make a new album?

Postby dragonmaster-Ghaleon » Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:55 am

honestly i cant wait for this album death magnetic .. from the way the demos sound for it .. they are going old school like alot of the 80's thrash metal bands seem to be doing recently cause of the influence of the newer up and coming metalcore bands (like bfmv) should be awesome . and i think its comming out like the 12 of september and i hope they tour the states for it this up comming year
"truly if there is a god of destiny he is fond of plot twists ..and so am i"
Image

User avatar
Ozone
Dragonmaster
Posts: 3039
Joined: Wed Dec 25, 2002 2:06 pm
Location: .above.the.weeping.world.
Contact:

Re: Is Metallica EVER gonna make a new album?

Postby Ozone » Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:32 pm

Meh.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khuMiOhOC4M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzxoMpfN ... re=related

I'm really not all that impressed, but it's a hell of a lot better than anything that they've put out in the past 18 or so years.
"'There are no atheists in foxholes' isn't an argument against atheism, it's an argument against foxholes." - James Morrow
"I'll hit your head with the thunder clap, you're seeing Horus"

User avatar
Sadrin
Red Dragon Priest
Posts: 211
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:35 pm
Location: ATL

Re: Is Metallica EVER gonna make a new album?

Postby Sadrin » Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:47 am

Ok so i'm Very far from EVER being a Metallica fan but I just have to point out that they beat Ayumi Hamasaki's A Complete-all Singles by only 270,000 copies!

08.09.2008-14.09.2008
This Week | Last Week |Weeks On Chart | Artist | Album |
1 | New |1 | Metallica| Death Magnetic |
[808,900]
2 |New |1 | Ayumi Hamasaki |A Complete-all Singles |
[538,900]

I just thought that was neat!

Source: http://www.musicharts.net/
Image
Depend On You Changed My Life.


Return to “Anime, Music, TV/Movies, and Books”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests