Looks like HP fans are finally getting one of their wishes..

Your general non-gaming entertainment thread.
Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Looks like HP fans are finally getting one of their wishes..

Post by Kizyr »

The last Harry Potter movie will be split into two parts:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/7293513.stm

Though I imagine that fans of the book will still find room to complain and argue that it should be split into three or four parts. But, that's inevitable.

I don't mind, though. This means I get to see another Harry Potter movie for a total of 8, instead of 7, by the end. This should be good. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Re: Looks like HP fans are finally getting one of their wishes..

Post by GhaleonOne »

I agree. I saw some rumors about this a few months ago, but I guess they made it official now. I'm happy. There was so many plot points in that book that it'd be hard to do as a movie while cutting stuff.
-G1

ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero

Post by ilovemyguitar »

Well, it's good to know that fans of the book series are happy about this. Speaking as someone who hasn't read any of the books and doesn't plan to, this announcement seems a bit money-grubbing to me, like the studio wants another movie to get as much as they can out of this cash cow. But if you guys say the book actually warrants getting a two movie treatment, I'll go with it.

lutomboy
Red Dragon Priest

Post by lutomboy »

i like the idea but you know they did it this way to make more money some of the other books could have been done the same way

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Pfft. This just means I have to wait another 2 years before I get to know how it ends. *pouts*

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

Woo!

I'm not sure what this entails. First there was the splitting of The Hobbit into two parts, and now this. Are they realizing that sometimes book to movie adaptions seem rushed and artificial when they're done in just one part (Eragon...)? Or is it a way of getting more from a successful series? Probably a mix of both. :)
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

lutomboy
Red Dragon Priest

Post by lutomboy »

:evil: don’t ever mention ERAGON agene that movie was an abomination of the book they made up a movie with the title of the book 2 minutes into the movie I want to torch the place down to the growing :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :evil: :evil: :twisted:

DezoPenguin
Red Dragon Priest

Post by DezoPenguin »

Sonic# wrote:Woo!

I'm not sure what this entails. First there was the splitting of The Hobbit into two parts, and now this. Are they realizing that sometimes book to movie adaptions seem rushed and artificial when they're done in just one part (Eragon...)? Or is it a way of getting more from a successful series? Probably a mix of both. :)
I vote for both. And to be fair--hey, if people are willing to shell out for 7 movies in a series, they'll go for 8, so the studio makes out like a bandit. And the fans of the series get to see more of why they like the story without having to have the source material butchered to fit into a specified length of time. Sounds like one of those everybody-wins scenarios to me.

(And count me into the "good news" brigade. I only recently came to Harry Potter fandom--when I played GrimGrimoire this past December I thought, "Hey, let's see about getting all the cross-reference gags" and immediately got hooked. In fact, I just finished Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows on Monday, somehow managing to come this far without bumping into a single spoiler :D ).

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

Wait... they're splitting The Hobbit into two separate movies? That's bizarre. I really think that The Hobbit could easily fit into a two-hour movie. The Hobbit is pretty episodic, so I wouldn't mind if a few of the episodes were cut.

ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero

Post by ilovemyguitar »

Werefrog wrote:Wait... they're splitting The Hobbit into two separate movies? That's bizarre. I really think that The Hobbit could easily fit into a two-hour movie. The Hobbit is pretty episodic, so I wouldn't mind if a few of the episodes were cut.
Not exactly. The Hobbit itself will be one movie, and there will be a "sequel" film created from other stuff Tolkien wrote.

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

Uh, d'oh. Well, yes. The other movie will be constructed from background material. :) I suppose it isn't the same one then.
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

Jenner
Dragonmaster

Post by Jenner »

Kizyr wrote:The last Harry Potter movie will be split into two parts:

Though I imagine that fans of the book will still find room to complain and argue that it should be split into three or four parts. But, that's inevitable.

I don't mind, though. This means I get to see another Harry Potter movie for a total of 8, instead of 7, by the end. This should be good. KF
Definitely allows them to bleed out the series and make more money. But the book is so long and so complicated it really probably does require two movies, so I guess everyone's happy. Except me.

I'll only be happy if Dustin Diamond gets casted as Adult Harry Potter.
The Infamous Jenner!
Maker of Lists.
RIP Coley...
still adore you Kiz.

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

Post by Benevolent_Ghaleon »

Jenner wrote:
Kizyr wrote:The last Harry Potter movie will be split into two parts:

Definitely allows them to bleed out the series and make more money. But the book is so long and so complicated it really probably does require two movies, so I guess everyone's happy. Except me.

I'll only be happy if Dustin Diamond gets casted as Adult Harry Potter.

Everyone IS happy. They're excited for the movie to come out so they can rush to the internet and explain why the book was so much better.