OMG OMG OMG *SQUEEL* THE HOBBIT!!!1111111

Your general non-gaming entertainment thread.
phyco126
Dragonmaster
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Re: OMG OMG OMG *SQUEEL* THE HOBBIT!!!1111111

Post by phyco126 »

Hey Kiz, what other movies have you seen that you fealt ended up better than the books?

After watching LotR I read the books, and was pleasantly surprised that I enjoyed the books as much as the movie. The whole arguement that one was better than the other hasn't held true with me on that one.

The Golden Compass, on the other hand, was far better as a book.

Can't exactly say that I have found any particular movie that surpassed the book altogether though.

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

phyco126 wrote:Hey Kiz, what other movies have you seen that you fealt ended up better than the books?
The only thing that comes immediately to mind is Frankenstein. Mostly because the original book was so bloody awful that the Hollywood version, which changed nearly all of the story, was better. Mostly because it bore little resemblance to the book.

There were a few other movies that I thought were as good as the book, just in a different media. The Namesake (book by Jhumpa Lahiri, and movie directed by Mira Nair) was one of my favorite books, and the movie turned out to be phenomenally well-done. The Kenneth Branagh versions of Othello and Hamlet, and one version of The Crucible (forget which) were also really great--though I'm not sure how much it counts, seeing as the "books" were really plays anyhow. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Eh, it counts.

The Crucible, I loved that movie. Not sure which version I watched in school, but it did a fair job. I liked the Hamlet version that went word for word, and even had an appearance by Robin Williams. Not sure of the version, saw it in high school and thought it was spot on. I mean, they just did the play essentially on screen, so I thought that was in good taste.

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."