OMG OMG OMG *SQUEEL* THE HOBBIT!!!1111111

Your general non-gaming entertainment thread.
phyco126
Dragonmaster
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

OMG OMG OMG *SQUEEL* THE HOBBIT!!!1111111

Post by phyco126 »

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

Re: OMG OMG OMG *SQUEEL* THE HOBBIT!!!1111111

Post by Benevolent_Ghaleon »

I hope this'll be anywhere near as good as LotR. The Hobbit is more magical than LotR.

ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero

Post by ilovemyguitar »

Oooh, I'm liking that Guillermo Del Toro is directing it. I loved Pan's Labyrinth.

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

I don't know about directors, but Peter Jackson is back for it, which matters more to me. Apparently, although found on wikipedia, it was said that most of the original actors would love to reprise their roles for the movies if needed. XD

Sadrin
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Sadrin »

Awesome! 2010? :( thats sooooo long from now! and im sure it will be longer... I hope it feels like the other movies and not something different. I'm very pleased to see that Guillermo Del Toro is directing it. He does such magical things. I might just see hell boy 2 because of his work. Pan's Labyrinth is such a great movie! i saw it 3 times in theaters! and have it on dvd. AHHH i just cant wait! Thanks so much for the info!
Depend On You Changed My Life.

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Well, 2010, if released on time, is only 2 years away. Now imagine hearing that they are making a movie of your favorite triliogy, and the news is released in summer of 2004, but the movie is released in December of 2007. Over 3 years to wait for something that made me nearly cry from the disappointment, after the trailors where so dead on to the book at that.
*cry*

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

How often does anybody see a movie about a book they read and enjoyed it more? Film makers create THEIR vision. Nobody else's.

lutomboy
Red Dragon Priest

Post by lutomboy »

when they did LOTR they did a good job :D

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

LotR rocked. The Golden Compass rode the Fail Boat. :(

It wasn't that it was HIS vision, but that they changed certain things to make those pesky religious pests happy. Not that it worked, but eh.

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

phyco126 wrote:LotR rocked. The Golden Compass rode the Fail Boat. :(

It wasn't that it was HIS vision, but that they changed certain things to make those pesky religious pests happy. Not that it worked, but eh.
has anything EVER made them happy?

ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero

Post by ilovemyguitar »

Benevolent_Ghaleon wrote:How often does anybody see a movie about a book they read and enjoyed it more? Film makers create THEIR vision. Nobody else's.
There are a few movies I've seen that I actually enjoyed more than the books they're adapted from. I thought "Contact," the science fiction movie with Jodie Foster, was much more enjoyable than Carl Sagan's book (the book is bogged down with lengthy explanations of the pseudoscience and math behind the story, to the point where it's quite tedious to read), and more recently I thought the movie adaptation of Steven King's "The Mist" was remarkably true to the source material and that the one thing they did change, the ending, was a much more ballsy way to end, and it was truer to the basic themes set up earlier in the story.

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

hey! what a coincidence! The Hobbit, even though i love the book, started to annoy me with having lengthy explanations in parentheses. i'd have to go back and read the first half the sentence again.

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

Benevolent_Ghaleon wrote:hey! what a coincidence! The Hobbit, even though i love the book, started to annoy me with having lengthy explanations in parentheses. i'd have to go back and read the first half the sentence again.
Heh... don't read Faulkner then.

But anyway, I'll be looking forward to The Hobbit with a bit of skepticism. I think the tone of the movie needs to be a lot different than the Lord of the Rings trilogy. I think... I've had this particular conversation here before, and most people felt that Jackson could pull it off. I'm not really familiar with Guillermo Del Toro's work, but from the little I've seen of Pan's Labyrinth, I think he can capture the youthful and magical feel of The Hobbit.

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Well, the way I always saw it (having read the books and watched the movies) is that the beginning of FotR (movie one) from where Gandalf arrives to when Frodo departs, may actually be very close to the way to expect the hobbit to run. From the party to the Hobbits having to hide from the dark riders after they fell down the small dirt cliff.

lutomboy
Red Dragon Priest

Post by lutomboy »

I read the book and watched the moves to me the movies were 85% from the book and 15% made up the director did a good job of keeping it close to the book (for once :roll: ) but besides LOTR no other books have been good movies, well maybe the first Harry Potter move but that’s it

Jenner
Dragonmaster

Post by Jenner »

Benevolent_Ghaleon wrote:

[derail]Voting conservative, telling women what they can do with their bodies and denying minorities basic human rights via their biased majority vote makes them happy.[/derail]

IMHO the first LOTR movie was good but the other two starting getting silly. Still good, but definitely unnecessarily silly.
The Infamous Jenner!
Maker of Lists.
RIP Coley...
still adore you Kiz.

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

Jenner wrote:
Benevolent_Ghaleon wrote:

[derail]Voting conservative, telling women what they can do with their bodies and denying minorities basic human rights via their biased majority vote makes them happy.[/derail]

IMHO the first LOTR movie was good but the other two starting getting silly. Still good, but definitely unnecessarily silly.
Could we have a major abortion debate or are there not enough pro-lifers to make it any fun?

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Benevolent_Ghaleon wrote: Could we have a major abortion debate or are there not enough pro-lifers to make it any fun?
*ahem* I'm prolife, but if you choose to debate it, I won't be apart of it. No shoo, go make your own topic about it, not start it in mine. Kthxplz.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

phyco126 wrote:
Benevolent_Ghaleon wrote: Could we have a major abortion debate or are there not enough pro-lifers to make it any fun?
*ahem* I'm prolife, but if you choose to debate it, I won't be apart of it. No shoo, go make your own topic about it, not start it in mine. Kthxplz.
I'm also pro-life. But, I'm going to start deleting posts and will lock this thread if anyone insists on turning a thread about The Hobbit into a debate over abortion.

Also, as far as books vs movies go... Frankenstein, the movie, was worlds better than the novel. The novel was lousy; the movie (and I'm talking the classic black-and-white one) had far more substance and plausibility. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

I'm with Kiz and Phyco... Pro-life, but please no abortion flame-war. It's a flame-bait topic, and especially has no business starting up in a thread about the Hobbit.
-G1