Cloverfield = AWESOME

Your general non-gaming entertainment thread.
ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Cloverfield = AWESOME

Post by ilovemyguitar »

I saw it last night, and it's easily one of the best movies I've seen in a while. It's an awesome action/horror movie, and a few of the more disturbing scenes are still giving me chills. (Especially the fate of one poor character. I'm not going to spoil it, but what happens to this person is unbelievably awful.)

The whole "Blair Witch" style is absolutely the best way to tell this story. If this had been shot in a conventional manner, it would have just been another "monster(s) attack" action movie like Independence Day or Godzilla or something. It would have made the movie all about the monster.

But as awesome and freaky as the monster in question is, this movie is so not about the monster. It's about a few tightly-knit friends who are trying desperately to survive something they can't even comprehend. They're all very normal 20-somethings, living very normal 20-something lives, and it's heartwrenching to see them suffering through this terrifying ordeal.

I. Loved. This. Movie.

Ozone
Dragonmaster

Re: Cloverfield = AWESOME

Post by Ozone »

I liked the concept, but I think that the execution failed. I actually had to leave the theatre due to motion sickness partway through, and I've only gotten motion sick once before. The movie was not what I was hoping it to be, and I had hoped that the format the trailer was in was only for the use of marketing, but my fears were realized. I basically got a higher budget version of The Blair Witch Project (which I thought was one of the worst movies that I had ever seen). Oh well. Next up = Rambo.
"'There are no atheists in foxholes' isn't an argument against atheism, it's an argument against foxholes." - James Morrow
"I'll hit your head with the thunder clap, you're seeing Horus"

ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero

Post by ilovemyguitar »

After reading some of the reviews, I'm starting to see a trend. Most people generally seemed to like it, but those that didn't like it really hated it. The common complaints seem to be the shaky cam and the lack of a plethora of backstory and answers about the monster.

Well, that, and some of the people at AintItCool.com seem to hate the oh-so-pretty characters, but the people on that site seem to hate anything involving pretty people other than hot women shaking their jugs around, so you really can't listen to them too much.

But it's getting mostly postitive reviews. It's got 76% at rottentomatoes.com, which isn't shabby at all. If shaky cam makes you sick, I'd suggest either popping some Dramamine before seeing this or waiting for the DVD, but otherwise I can't recommend this movie highly enough.

exigence
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by exigence »

Ozone wrote: Oh well. Next up = Rambo.
Whats that supposed to mean, Im really looking forward to seing that.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

I think all he's saying is that's the next movie he'll be going to see. Don't think he meant anything by that one way or another.

And I should be seeing this tomorrow. Will probably post more thoughts then.
-G1

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

The movie looks good, but I don't think I'm going to see it until it's on DVD. Going to movies cost so much.

Ozone
Dragonmaster

Post by Ozone »

GhaleonOne wrote:I think all he's saying is that's the next movie he'll be going to see. Don't think he meant anything by that one way or another.

And I should be seeing this tomorrow. Will probably post more thoughts then.
G1: 1
Exigence: 0
"'There are no atheists in foxholes' isn't an argument against atheism, it's an argument against foxholes." - James Morrow
"I'll hit your head with the thunder clap, you're seeing Horus"

exigence
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by exigence »

Im just a little on the defensive side, everyone I know has been rippin on rambo hard.

ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero

Post by ilovemyguitar »

I wasn't particularly interested in this new Rambo movie one way or the other, but then I saw Julie Benz in what looks a prominent role in the trailer, so I'll definitely be seeing it. (If anyone here is familiar with Buffy the Vampire Slayer/Angel, she's the actress who played Darla. She's sorta awesome.)