Sweeney Todd

Your general non-gaming entertainment thread.
Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Sweeney Todd

Post by Kizyr »

I ordinarily don't like musicals, but... I'm really looking forward to seeing this when it hits theaters next week.

I know Eric is also psyched about it. Anyone else? KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

DezoPenguin
Red Dragon Priest

Post by DezoPenguin »

I'm looking forward to renting it. You really can't go wrong with Tim Burton directing Johnny Depp.

ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero

Post by ilovemyguitar »

I will most definately be seeing this movie, possibly the day it opens. I love Sweeney Todd.

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

I'm looking forward to it, because of Eric. I mean, if it wasn't for him, I would be like "Another lame horror movie =/" Yet now, because of Eric, I know it's a musical and after he gave me a synopsis I am looking forward to seeing it on the big screen with music and all!

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

I'm going to try and see it. Again, mainly because of Eric. It seems like a fun movie with actors whose characters I've liked before. ^_^
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

lost_f0n_drive
Lostest Boy

Post by lost_f0n_drive »

It looks like an incredible movie. I'm going to see it when it comes out. :)

EDIT: Just saw it, it's an incredible musical.

Delicious, delicious meat pies.

Pisces
Threadkiller

Post by Pisces »

I'M SHAVING THE FACES OF GENTLEMEN WHO NEVER THEREAFTER WERE HEARD OF AGAIN!!!

TONIGHT!

MWAHAHAHA!
"Let man's petty nations tear themselves apart; my land's only borders lie around my heart."

-Tim Rice, from the song "Anthem" in the musical Chess

Guild_Premier_Ghaleon
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Guild_Premier_Ghaleon »

Just got back from seeing this, and it was excellent... "Have some priest!" XD
"Perhaps you should demonstrate the power which gives you such confidence. Then we shall see who is fit to be supreme ruler, and who... is dead!"

Pisces
Threadkiller

Post by Pisces »

It was, indeed, well worth the wait.

I will say, however, to anyone who was expecting a "film version" of the stage show - don't expect that. Tim Burton really did his own thing with the film, and although they cut out about a third of the music, it's still really excellent.

Even being a huge fan of all the music, I was fine with the changes. It was first and foremost a great movie and they really made it into that instead of just taking a stage show and "putting it on screen".

Even though I missed hearing the main theme "The Ballad of Sweeney Todd" sung throughout the connecting scenes, it was equally thrilling hearing it boom forth as instrumental underscoring throughout the soundtrack.

Performances were wonderful...Depp brought a wonderfully disturbing psychotic/deeply wounded Todd that although, yes, you pitied and sympathized with his PAST, at the same time you were completely afraid of and bothered by the new man he'd become.

loved Helena Bonham Carter's Mrs Lovett. My only warning about her - her Cockney accent is EXTREMELY THICK. So she's difficult to understand at times, unless you're very used to hearing Cockney.

Another point, though - for anyone expecting the full voiced operetta sound of Len Cariou and Angela Lansbery from the original cast - don't expect that either. None of the main characters in the movies are "professional sounding" singers. They were chosen mainly for their acting talents - they can carry a tune just fine when they sing, but they have that sort of "character" voice or "airy" sound when they sing. I was fine with it. Their acting in the music went well and still sold it for me.

Last, but definitely not least...

Gore.

Can anyone say gore?

Wow.

That was the goriest, bloodiest Sweeney I've ever seen.

And it was awesome. It was morbidly delightful.

The final image in the movie (I won't ruin it) was the PERFECT marriage of Gorey and Heartbreaking. You'll see what I mean.

I'm going to see it again, soon.

So my final assessment - wonderful Burton horror. Well-done movie. But don't go expecting the stage show. I had to let go of the things I loved about the stage show to fully appreciate the movie. So keep your horizons open when you see it and appreciate it for what it is. And you'll have a great time.
"Let man's petty nations tear themselves apart; my land's only borders lie around my heart."

-Tim Rice, from the song "Anthem" in the musical Chess

LuNaRtIc
Bromide Hunter

Re: Sweeney Todd

Post by LuNaRtIc »

I'm so very excited to see this, but I don't know if Johnny Depp is fitting for the role in terms of singing. e_e *has avoided reading other posts in fear of spoilers*
Anyway, I love Tim Burton and his use of German Expressionism. If the singing isn't great, I KNOW I'll be drooling over the visuals. :D
「美しい白い竜 愛しい白い竜…」
My avatar art was done by luleiya! <3

Ozone
Dragonmaster

Post by Ozone »

I'll see it solely because Burton's atmospheric scenes and film style are eye candy for me. Though I will say that, as someone who has seen the stage performance before, that I'm slightly unsure of how this will turn out.
"'There are no atheists in foxholes' isn't an argument against atheism, it's an argument against foxholes." - James Morrow
"I'll hit your head with the thunder clap, you're seeing Horus"

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

I just got back from seeing it. It's great, and I'm glad I didn't know the entire story beforehand (I enjoyed seeing how things would turn out for the first time in the theater).

The music and pitch wasn't all perfect, but I did rather enjoy it. There seemed to be more focus on acting than singing, although the singing was still good enough to enjoy the film. And yeah, it was rather on the bloody side.

I still wonder how the women are able to sing so well while wearing a corset. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Ozone
Dragonmaster

Post by Ozone »

It's certainly a Burton film, I mean, you'd have to be blind to not be able to tell, even then its quirk and dark sense of humor still point at Burton. Overall, I had mixed emotions concerning the film. I've seen Burton do so much better stylistically (I still say that Big Fish is his Holy Grail, but no one knows it yet), that it's really hard to say that this film is something other than what I would classify as mundane Burton (which is still more interesting than 90% of the directors out there). I can't say that I was really satisfied with Depp's role, not his acting, but his role. I think I'm so used to seeing him as the very disjointed and multi-directional Captain Jack that the single mindedness of Sweeney really restrains him. I do have to say that Carter did a good job with the re-imagining of her character (whose name currently escapes me).
"'There are no atheists in foxholes' isn't an argument against atheism, it's an argument against foxholes." - James Morrow
"I'll hit your head with the thunder clap, you're seeing Horus"