Dresden Files

Your general non-gaming entertainment thread.
Zaskar
Nanza Bandit
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Dresden Files

Post by Zaskar »

Just found out Sci Fi Channel canceled it, I think i just died a bit :/

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Re: Dresden Files

Post by Kizyr »

Zaskar wrote:Just found out Sci Fi Channel canceled it, I think i just died a bit :/
Um... they cancelled it a pretty long while back. I mean a long while.

If you liked the series, though, then I recommend the novels; I'm already a huge fan of it. I'm on book four at the moment (there are 8 or 9 right now, and Jim Butcher is still writing).

The stuff in the series didn't even scratch the surface of what the books go through. Try just picking up the first novel (Storm Front) and see if you like it at all. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Zaskar
Nanza Bandit

Post by Zaskar »

Kizyr wrote:
Zaskar wrote:Just found out Sci Fi Channel canceled it, I think i just died a bit :/
Um... they cancelled it a pretty long while back. I mean a long while.

If you liked the series, though, then I recommend the novels; I'm already a huge fan of it. I'm on book four at the moment (there are 8 or 9 right now, and Jim Butcher is still writing).

The stuff in the series didn't even scratch the surface of what the books go through. Try just picking up the first novel (Storm Front) and see if you like it at all. KF
It was only officially announced in August (i guess 2 months is a long time though)
I thought (and I thought many did) that earlier this year was just season 1 and it was on its break while they were gonna make/plan a second, but it didn't get approved :/
Was really lookin forward to a second season, the way they advertised and how good it was diddnt make me even for a second think they would not renew it. Nothin worse then searching the net to find out when the next season of one of your favorite shows is gonna start (cause it should be really soon by then) and finding out it was canceled :/

Im most likely gonna get the novels, that just sounds awesome, but the show just had such great actors :/ Sci Fi killed it by placing it on sunday.

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

Zaskar wrote:It was only officially announced in August (i guess 2 months is a long time though)

I thought (and I thought many did) that earlier this year was just season 1 and it was on its break while they were gonna make/plan a second, but it didn't get approved :/
My mistake. This all sounds familiar now. For some reason I was under the impression that it got canceled soon after the first season was over.
Zaskar wrote:Im most likely gonna get the novels, that just sounds awesome, but the show just had such great actors :/ Sci Fi killed it by placing it on sunday.
Oh yeah... Paul Blackthorne really got the character of Dresden across pretty well. Bear in mind that the show is based on the novels, so the novels have a much different take on them. But, regardless, I'd imagine that if you enjoyed the show, then you'd enjoy the novels.

In my mind I still picture Paul Blackthorne as Harry Dresden when I'm reading, he was that good at it. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

Hey guys, when is the new season of Firefly coming out?? :D

Okay, that was obnoxious. Sorry. It really does suck when a show is cancelled after just one season, especially if there is an ongoing story. It sucks when any show is cancelled before the story is complete actually... I miss Farscape :cry: .

Zaskar
Nanza Bandit

Post by Zaskar »

Werefrog wrote:Hey guys, when is the new season of Firefly coming out?? :D

Okay, that was obnoxious. Sorry. It really does suck when a show is cancelled after just one season, especially if there is an ongoing story. It sucks when any show is cancelled before the story is complete actually... I miss Farscape :cry: .
Well Fox and UPN are the killer of shows thats already known. But this was a Sci-Fi channel original, there is no excuse here :(

Its like they diddnt realize that a wrong day can kill a show almost as good as the wrong network can. People get set in their ways, Sci-Fi had such bad stuff on Sundays for so often that people weren't use to watching then, even battlestar galactica's ratings dove when they switched to Sunday. You would think that alone would be enough of a indicator that it was their fault shows on sunday do bad.

if they placed the show on the 7:00 or even better a 10:00 or 11:00 time slot on Friday its ratings wouldda been much higher.

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

Zaskar wrote: if they placed the show on the 7:00 or even better a 10:00 or 11:00 time slot on Friday its ratings wouldda been much higher.
Well, to be fair Sci-Fi already had a pretty strong Friday lineup with the Stargate series (are there still two of them?) and Doctor Who. And besides who watches TV on a Friday night... oh that's right Sci-Fi's key demographic (I kid, I kid).

Zaskar
Nanza Bandit

Post by Zaskar »

Werefrog wrote:
Zaskar wrote: if they placed the show on the 7:00 or even better a 10:00 or 11:00 time slot on Friday its ratings wouldda been much higher.
Well, to be fair Sci-Fi already had a pretty strong Friday lineup with the Stargate series (are there still two of them?) and Doctor Who. And besides who watches TV on a Friday night... oh that's right Sci-Fi's key demographic (I kid, I kid).
Only 1 Stargate left now, but they always seem to have an off season where there is only like 1 new show on Friday with the rest as repeats, they could've plugged it in there, or just used the 11:00 time slot which is after the normal shows (when they start reruns of th 8:00-10:00 stuff) since it appealed to the older demographic more then they expected.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Speaking of Sci-Fi, did anyone watch Highlander: The Source the weekend before last? They just keep ruining that franchise more and more...
-G1

Zaskar
Nanza Bandit

Post by Zaskar »

Just pretend it never happened like they did with Highlander 2 :P

DezoPenguin
Red Dragon Priest

Post by DezoPenguin »

Well, darn it all. You're not the only one who was late in hearing, Zaskar, since I just heard it for the first time here in this thread. Sucks, indeed, since it was such a good show (my mother, of all people, will be even more ripped than I am).

Ah, well, at least it got me into reading the books. Three down, all very good (even if I keep remembering how the episodes parts of 'em were used to make went, so I know some--if not all, since things change--of What Happens Next). I must say, though, that I miss the Magic Hockey Stick the TV Dresden used for a staff. It just seemed so apropos.

Now, if someone tells me Blood Ties has been cancelled, I may have to scream and throw things (probably plush penguins).

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

Post by Benevolent_Ghaleon »

Zaskar wrote:Just pretend it never happened like they did with Highlander 2 :P
i'm this way about dragon song.

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

Benevolent_Ghaleon wrote:
Zaskar wrote:Just pretend it never happened like they did with Highlander 2 :P
i'm this way about dragon song.
Dragon Song and Rocky V for me...
Zaskar wrote:
Werefrog wrote:
Only 1 Stargate left now, but they always seem to have an off season where there is only like 1 new show on Friday with the rest as repeats, they could've plugged it in there, or just used the 11:00 time slot which is after the normal shows (when they start reruns of th 8:00-10:00 stuff) since it appealed to the older demographic more then they expected.
Yeah, Sci-Fi's Friday lineup is already a bit packed right now, with sometimes Stargate Atlantis, Doctor Who (personal favorite--never miss that one), Flash Gordon, Painkiller Jane...

I gave Flash Gordon a try and... it's not that great. I can't really get into Painkiller Jane either. It feels like Dark Angel, but with a more boring setting and a less hot main character.

But, I like the fact that they run the main three shows on Friday night; so, if I happen to be out on Friday, I can still catch Doctor Who when I get back later.

Anyway, yeah, I still agree that Dresden Files could've worked out if they worked the time-slot better. Suppose we'll never know now... KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Zaskar
Nanza Bandit

Post by Zaskar »

Hehe Painkiller Jain has been canceled too so you don't gotta worry about that next season, and id bet money Flash Gordon wont be renewed either. Its like they wont renew anything unless its gonna be the next Stargate, like their trying to fill the void and wont let anything else have a chance till then.

Ozone
Dragonmaster

Post by Ozone »

I actually have the whole first season of the Dresden Files on DVD :) It's great stuff, I love the books, and the show is very good in its own right. I haven't heard any news regarding whether or not they're bringing it back, but I hope that they are.

Dr. Who is excellent stuff :D
"'There are no atheists in foxholes' isn't an argument against atheism, it's an argument against foxholes." - James Morrow
"I'll hit your head with the thunder clap, you're seeing Horus"

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

Post by Benevolent_Ghaleon »

why don't you fans see if you can get enough people to insist on another try with the show? it may be unlikely but not impossible. look at Family Guy.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Kiz keeps bugging me to check out the newer Dr. Who. Just haven't had a chance. I loved the show when I was a little tyke back in the early-mid 80s. Good stuff!
-G1

Zaskar
Nanza Bandit

Post by Zaskar »

GhaleonOne wrote:Kiz keeps bugging me to check out the newer Dr. Who. Just haven't had a chance. I loved the show when I was a little tyke back in the early-mid 80s. Good stuff!
Oh the new one is excellent, you gotta see it. Sci-Fi channel just has the US rights to air it though, its still made in england and aired their first (So you know Sci-Fi cant just go and cancel it :P)

And there is a pretty big Dresden Files petition already, something like 9,000 signs, but thats prob not nearly enough and internet petitions really dont carry weight with companies.

I still think they haven't given it a shot, if their doing repeats id almost bet money if they gave it a Friday time slot instead of some other shows repeat during their offseason that it would do better as reruns then it did new on Sunday.

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

Zaskar wrote:
GhaleonOne wrote:Kiz keeps bugging me to check out the newer Dr. Who. Just haven't had a chance. I loved the show when I was a little tyke back in the early-mid 80s. Good stuff!
Oh the new one is excellent, you gotta see it. Sci-Fi channel just has the US rights to air it though, its still made in england and aired their first (So you know Sci-Fi cant just go and cancel it :P)
Well, Doctor Who is still ridiculously popular in the UK, so there's no chance of that being canceled soon. Also, David Tennant is apparently everyone's favorite Doctor so far; I certainly like him.

...also, I believe the show is mostly produced in Wales, not England. The only reason I say this is because usually I'll say that Doctor Who is just about the only good thing that comes out of Wales.

ZING. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Kizyr wrote:The only reason I say this is because usually I'll say that Doctor Who is just about the only good thing that comes out of Wales.
Don't let Julie hear you say that.
-G1