Music Subscription Services & Anime/Game music

Your general non-gaming entertainment thread.
Zaskar
Nanza Bandit
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Music Subscription Services & Anime/Game music

Post by Zaskar »

Anyone know of any music subscription services that have any Anime/Game music on them? (You know, the types of services where you can DL DRM modded files for free as long as you have the subscription, or pay like 99 cents for a non DRM normal MP3 file)

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

Hmm... I don't know of any such service that has anime/game music (soundtracks are kinda hard to find on these services). If you're in college, you can try Ruckus since it's free anyway. If not, check Rhapsody and Napster. You can check their selection out beforehand. Just a warning beforehand. The DRM that these services use is very annoying since it requires you to renew the DRM monthly. Let me know if you find anything.

DevNall
Blue Dragon Ninja

Re: Music Subscription Services & Anime/Game music

Post by DevNall »

This may not be what you want, but Square-Enix has put a ton of their music on iTunes, and several other companies (ex: Konami) have put up smaller selections.

If you don't like the file formats, you can burn what you buy to an audio CD.

Zaskar
Nanza Bandit

Post by Zaskar »

Thanks guys, did a bit of my own research, and it seems the best, and surprisingly cheapest way is to buy good condition used CD's from eBay/amazon.com and rip them on my Linux box (top quality 320 bitrate mp3's :D)

Most those services charge like $1 a song, or $9 for an album, and thats with DMR protection on them. You can get these expensive CD's used for like $5-10 (+$3-5 in shipping). Like you can get Chrono Trigger's 3 Disk OST and the Brink of Time rendition (awesome) for like $15 as a set, their normally like $30-60 each. I use to be pretty nuts about having perfect new conditioned media, but to hell with that, as long as their scratch free so they produce flawless rips, their just going to be goin straight to Digital format nowadays anyways. Its just not worth getting new when you can get around 4 for the price of one when getting used (as long as your careful to get mint conditioned ones, gotta assume everything is slightly worse then described :P)

Though I did run across a kinda cool site in my searching, had all Japanese music for a pretty cheep service cost. All different types of music, and all DRM free. Not exactly what I was looking for, but may prove to be interesting none the less.