Slayers

Your general non-gaming entertainment thread.
MaroonChan
Black Dragon Wizard
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Slayers

Post by MaroonChan »

Anyone into this anime? I used to be really obssessed with it years ago. It came sometime after my obsession with Sailor Moon and Dragon Ball/Z/GT.

The anime's good, of what I've seen. I've seen Slayers Next and Slayers Try and some of the first season. I still need to get the box set of that. So far my favorite season I think is Slayers Next. I love the music from it too, both the BGM and the vocals.

I read volume one of the novel quite a while ago. It was good. I wanna get more eventually.

But anyway kind of getting into Slayers again.

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

Post by Benevolent_Ghaleon »

i try to watch it online but i cant find a place to watch it subbed. i always get a "no licensed anime" thing. sucks.

MaroonChan
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by MaroonChan »

Yeah, it is licensed so you wouldn't be able to then. Its been out in the US for quite a while. I know it was out back in high school when I got into it. Its a great series if you like fantasy. Has a lot of magic and stuff, and is very funny. I need to get Slayers Try and season 1 on DVD. I only got Slayers Next on DVD. The others I got some of them on video tape.

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

when i have a laptop instead of a just a wii for the net, i'll find a way to torrent it. i really wanna see this.

MaroonChan
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by MaroonChan »

You could always buy them too. Most video stores would have them. Not sure about rental ones. Though I think my Blockbuster has the Slayers Motion Picture. That or go on ebay. That's where I get most of my anime.

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

yeah i'm a bit more than broke at the moment.

MaroonChan
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by MaroonChan »

Trust me I understand. I don't have much money now either. If I could I'd buy more Sailor Moon stuff. Which is what I love to buy right now. Though I gotta cut down. Been buying too much off ebay.

Plantella
Lann Fisherman

Post by Plantella »

I absolutely love Slayers but Ive never seen past the first season. Amelia was always my fave and I loved her nasally American voice. When they changed that I got really sad and never bothered to watch the rest. I would like to see what happens though and I guess as long as Lina and Gourry dont have voice changes Ill be alright...they dont do they?

Im not opposed to watching anime in Japanese but the English was so darn good in Slayers. The American voices really added alot to the show for me.

Plantella
Lann Fisherman

Post by Plantella »

Wow! I just looked up the Slayers voices and saw that the girl who does Lina's voice in Japan is Megumi Hayashibara, Lemina's japanese voice actress! I never knew that!

Dragonmaster Lou
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Dragonmaster Lou »

Plantella wrote:Wow! I just looked up the Slayers voices and saw that the girl who does Lina's voice in Japan is Megumi Hayashibara, Lemina's japanese voice actress! I never knew that!
Yeah, it is pretty awesome -- especially since she continued to voice Lemina long after she became all famous and stuff. :) Hayashibara is one of the top VAs in all of Japan, and it's amusing listening to the Japanese EBS and hearing Lemina chant ala Lina Inverse...
"Guts can turn a 30% chance into a 100% chance!" - Taiga Kohtarou
Personal home page: http://www.techhouse.org/~lou
Lunar page: http://www.techhouse.org/~lou/lunar/
AMV page: http://www.tealstudios.com

Dark_Fairy
White Dragon Knight

Post by Dark_Fairy »

I've only seen a few episodes of Slayers. I randomly picked up some old video tapes at this dollar store called Deals about a year ago. I bought 10 tapes of anime for 10 dollars. I got 3 video tapes of Slayers. I thought it was a cool anime from what I've seen. I even picked up a soundtrack to Slayers Try a little while after that.

I like Zelgadis.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Slayers has always been one of my favorite series. I had the first season entirely on VHS, and part of the second season as well, before I stopped avidly collecting anime casettes.

I also have the Best of Slayers album, which is great. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

MaroonChan
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by MaroonChan »

Yay, Slayers fans!

I used to be so obssessed with it. Got introduced by my friend. Though the tape she picked up was the last one from Slayers Next so, we knew how that ended. It was an awesome ending.

I got one of the Slayers Try soundtracks. Ha, got it for free since my friend didn't want it. :D And its awesome. I have the Best of Slayers too. That's a great soundtrack. Lots of great songs.

I have a bunch of Slayers VHS laying around. I want to rebuy Slayers and Slayers Try on DVD though. Eventually.

Boris Moskovitz
Iluk Crackpot

Post by Boris Moskovitz »

Eehh... I sat through about half of the first season, but then I stopped due to my increasing interest towards other shows. It was really fun back then, though, even if they would sometimes run some jokes into the ground.

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

Plantella wrote:Wow! I just looked up the Slayers voices and saw that the girl who does Lina's voice in Japan is Megumi Hayashibara, Lemina's japanese voice actress! I never knew that!
Megumi is a cute one. One hell of a singer, too.

MaroonChan
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by MaroonChan »

Benevolent_Ghaleon wrote:
Megumi is a cute one. One hell of a singer, too.
Yes, she is an awesome singer! Actually she did a lot of the openings and endings for Slayers, I believe. Love the openings. Espeically "Give a Reason" from Slayers Next. Awesome song. I got so obssessed with it when I first got into the series. My one friend pointed out once that she voice acts quite a few red heads, which is kind of true.

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

give a reason and breeze are my favorites.

MaroonChan
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by MaroonChan »

Benevolent_Ghaleon wrote:give a reason and breeze are my favorites.
Yeah, "Breeze" is awesome! So pretty. I like the ending "Don't Get Discouraged" too. "Get Along" is a good opening as well. Blah, I just like songs from Slayers. :lol: Thought "Give a Reason" is probably my favorite.

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

i remember having kazaa and putting her name in and just clicking on EVERYTHING. Nostalgic Lover is a good one, also. How old is she now? i'd probably STILL be able to.

edit: Sakura Saku and Kimi Sae Ireba are a couple of greats, too.

AnimeJei
Red Dragon Priest

Post by AnimeJei »

I absolutely love The Slayers and it's one anime I don't mind the dubbing, I knew a few of the voice actors because my half-cousin worked for Central Park Media in NYC, so I got to meet them and stuff. But of course I love the Japanese too, I am a very BIG Megumi fan and was sad when she got married.. but great GREAt series and still watch it.
Image"Sample my goods!!"