anime/jap question

Your general non-gaming entertainment thread.
MaroonChan
Black Dragon Wizard
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Post by MaroonChan »

Guild_Premier_Ghaleon wrote:Three words to redeem english voice actors... Johnny Yong Bosch. Not ONLY is he one of the greatest english voice actors ever, along with the Ayres family, but he was a former POWER RANGER! Know what that means? He kicks ass both in real life, and in the anime! :D
Really? Heh, I never knew that!

I'll be honest, me I perfer subs. I just enjoy watching them more. Some dubs are done very well and have awesome voice actors. Example: Fullmetal Alchemist. Best voice acting in my opinion. Actually there are a lot of good dubs with good voice acting. Like Ranma 1/2, Inuyasha (though not many agree with me. Honestly I thought Inuyasha and Kagome's voices were good. Kagome's sounds odd at first, but gets better. And here's a fun fact! The VA that did the Japanese version of Inuyasha's voice did Ranma's and the English VA that did Inuyahsa's voice did Ranma's too! Funny huh? Espeically considering how alike the characters are.), Slayers, Trigun, Dragon Ball/Z (okay the first set of VA's I thought were good, not the second.), Sailor Moon (Same as Dragon Ball/Z, the first set of voices.), and I thought the Miyazaki films VA's were good.

Obviously I'm no expert on this, but I just think there are a lot of good dubs voice acting wise. Not all the ones I listed are edited well. Mostly Dragon Ball/Z and Sailor Moon.

Zaskar
Nanza Bandit

Post by Zaskar »

Ehh, Its harder for me to get into an anime if its subbed. The split between trying to read and watch whats going seems to detract from the over all feel.

In many cases also people don't like a Dub because as with most things, games included, people like what they saw/played first. (Lunar TSS vs Lunar SSS, FF 7 vs 8, hell even Quake 3 vs Half Life 1 multiplayer :P this is a pretty constant rule in the universe)

So when they watch something Subed with the original voices, they become attached to those characters and all aspects about them, voice included. So when they watch it with different toned voices, they freak.

Its just as weird going from a Dub to a original voice Sub.

Im lucky, most Anime I really like has really good voice actors (Full Metal Panic for instance), and most importantly, not Dubbed with the intention to be brought straight to cable TV, so usually it has 100% of its content intact (On the DvD atleast)

Ones brought over straight to TV are just random luck. Sometimes they dont cut anything and then just edit for TV, or sometimes they edit first, and then Dub :/ Thats the worst, cause usually that means your stuck with an edited version forever if you want a Dub as its really rare they ever go back and "un edit" and add in the missing scenes, or proper words.

Some people also hate when even if an Anime is Dubbed VERY well, that they change popular culture references to ones that make sense to American/English people. There really is no pleasing them, as the scenes were translated with their meanings intact, if they were "purely" translated then people watching it wouldnt get the same meaning outta those scenes as people from Japan did when they watched it there.

DezoPenguin
Red Dragon Priest

Post by DezoPenguin »

I've always been a subtitle man myself. Luckily, I read very fast, so I've never had any trouble following the subtitles and the action at the same time (though I can certainly understand how slower readers might have that problem--it's animation, after all, and if I'm missing what's actually happening on screen just to keep up with the dialogue it might as well be radio.

(side note: I really wish that I could understand Japanese so I could listen to drama CDs for my favorite series...I remember one brief shining moment when I was at the height of my knowledge of Japanese, just having finished my third semester, and I could actually understand about half of what was happening on the second El-Hazard drama CD*...)

Most of what I watch dubbed I do so because it's in front of me. I watched the Utena movie dubbed the first time because that's what the rental place had. I still prefer it that way, oddly enough, maybe because I saw it that way first, or maybe because I think the English-language voice actress suits the movie Anthy better. The TV series, on the other hand, I won't watch dubbed.

My wife, on the other hand, prefers dubs. This is especially true with Funimation discs, not because she likes their voice actors especially, but because she can't read the white-without-outlines subtitles they use; she finds they blend too much into the background of the TV screen. I don't have this problem, but the result is that I've watched Moon Phase and Case Closed largely dubbed (I don't *so* much mind them changing the names of the lead characters, but the whole supporting CAST--especially when the solution to the crime depends on the characters' names?!? Bah!)

In my experience, the dubs I've watched are eminently watchable in terms of the voice acting and direction, so for me it tends to boil down to the fact that I'm watching Japanese animation, and I prefer to experience the actual product with a minimum of alteration. Ironically, I prefer dubbing to Japanese voices in videogames, even when I have the option to choose, possibly because videogaming is a more active experience and my brain has more to do that enjoy the subtle nuances of foreign film.

AnimeJei
Red Dragon Priest

Post by AnimeJei »

Hmm, it depends on the person. I personally don't like dubbed usually.. though I like some of the stuff that came from Central Park Media..especially The Slayers series, but I am biased because I knew some of them from there. Well I think for the most part I think the Japanese voices are going to fit better because it was drawn for that. Many times, especially these days they try and draw the mouth to go with the dialogue (Japanese dialogue) so it doesn't always look right for the dubbed. But take Final Fantasy X, the mouths didn't go with the English or Japanese voices. Someone can come in here that knows Japanese exceptionally well, they can even be a native Japanese speaker and say they like certain seiyuu while another could come around and say they hate them..depends on the individual. I suggest you do what you said, learn Japanese and then decide which you prefer..
the answer is that i want characters who at least sound like they'd like to keep their jobs.
Try The Slayers, an older anime but I think the dubbed version is great.. I love Megumi Hayashibara but I think Lisa Ortiz did a great job for Lina Inverse. I think the english is great for that anime and it was funny as hell to me.
Image"Sample my goods!!"

Guild_Premier_Ghaleon
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Guild_Premier_Ghaleon »

phyco126 wrote:I've never had a problem with english subbed anime. I do, however, usually have a problem with the amerification of anime. AKA, editing on a genocidal scale.
Lmfao@Ghost Stories. I'd be offended if the original series didnt suck.
"Perhaps you should demonstrate the power which gives you such confidence. Then we shall see who is fit to be supreme ruler, and who... is dead!"

LuNaRtIc
Bromide Hunter

Post by LuNaRtIc »

Grey Fox wrote:I've noticed some companies that are responsible for the butchering of perfectly good dialog. One example is Nerima Daikon Brothers which was ported by ADV.
You know, I ADORE that series, and I watch it in English all the time. xD ADV is one of my favorite companies, but I may be biased, because I know some voice actors & directors who work there. Chris Patton and I are especially close. Daikon Brothers is a crazy show, and I feel bad for the people who had to translate it and write it out for the North American audience to understand and still be able to laugh at it.

Nabeshin approved of all the writing and translation of the show and very much enjoyed it. During the Nerima Daikon Brothers panel at this past ACEN, he explained how the show was actually much more popular here in the United States as opposed to Japan. This made him very happy, because when an anime is popular in America, more people will start watching it in Japan.
「美しい白い竜 愛しい白い竜…」
My avatar art was done by luleiya! <3

Zaskar
Nanza Bandit

Post by Zaskar »

LuNaRtIc wrote:xD ADV is one of my favorite companies, but I may be biased, because I know some voice actors & directors who work there. Chris Patton and I are especially close.
Ha, thats awesome, thats the guy who did the voice for Sousuke in Full Metal Panic! (Best anime ever, ever)

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

Post by Benevolent_Ghaleon »

Zaskar wrote:
LuNaRtIc wrote:xD ADV is one of my favorite companies, but I may be biased, because I know some voice actors & directors who work there. Chris Patton and I are especially close.
Ha, thats awesome, thats the guy who did the voice for Sousuke in Full Metal Panic! (Best anime ever, ever)
and probably another 30 characters. even with JAPAN it seems like the number of VA's seems like there are about 15 different ones for each sex.

Guild_Premier_Ghaleon
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Guild_Premier_Ghaleon »

Daikon Brothers is in the same boat as Ghost Stories, though not nearly as broad. The humor in alot of the Daikon Brother's was tied in with Japanese culture, so if they had translated it exactly as it was, japanese to english, alot of people would just be scratching there heads. As for Ghost Stories well... That was just a god awful series in japan, so when it was licensed the creators outright said do whatever you possibly can to sell this, because it outright sucks. So, they had fun with it and made it into a HUGE joke. For instance, when one of the main heroins is climbing up a ladder, you get a panty shot. In the original version, it just happened with no comments, but in the dub they said something along the lines of, "Quit peeking up my skirt you pervert! This is an anime for Christ's sake!" As for redeeming Daikon Brothers well... Four words this time... Giant Michael Jackson Monster. xD
"Perhaps you should demonstrate the power which gives you such confidence. Then we shall see who is fit to be supreme ruler, and who... is dead!"

LuNaRtIc
Bromide Hunter

Post by LuNaRtIc »

Zaskar wrote:Ha, thats awesome, thats the guy who did the voice for Sousuke in Full Metal Panic! (Best anime ever, ever)
Yeah he is, I love that show! :D Fumoffu is really good too, it's so hilarious, but I haven't seen Second Raid yet. I hope it's just as good as the first season.
Benevolent_Ghaleon wrote:
Zaskar wrote:
and probably another 30 characters. even with JAPAN it seems like the number of VA's seems like there are about 15 different ones for each sex.
So? A voice actor is only allowed to be one character? Japanese or not, if a VA is voicing 5 million characters, it's for a reason; they're a damn good voice over artist. Tomokazu Seki would be a nice example of this. :)
Guild_Premier_Ghaleon wrote: As for redeeming Daikon Brothers well... Four words this time... Giant Michael Jackson Monster. xD
HAHA! "Yukel Hakushon" :D
「美しい白い竜 愛しい白い竜…」

Zaskar
Nanza Bandit

Post by Zaskar »

LuNaRtIc wrote:Yeah he is, I love that show! :D Fumoffu is really good too, it's so hilarious, but I haven't seen Second Raid yet. I hope it's just as good as the first season.
Go get The Second Raid, Now! :P

Very very good. Bordering better then the first. Only downfall is its like 13-14 episodes instead of like 24.

Only thing kinda annoying me is wondering if their gonna make another. Thankfully they seem to be faithfully following the books (the plot based books, they skip around, with fumufu type ones in between.) and the next series of books that would normally be ready for another season supposedly ends in a cliffhanger, and moving seamlessly into the next set of books, that will be finished before the end of this year. Before each set was perfect for a season since it had minor closure to the problem at hand, and the next one could take place a few months later.

Since I doubt their gonna make another series and just end it in a cliffhanger (its usually like 2-3 years in between them) their prob waiting for this set to finish, and make another around 24 episode one that covers both.

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

I'm so sorry, but I found this, and *sniff* I just had to post it in this thread!

http://www.ctrlaltdel-online.com/comic.php?d=20040105

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

Post by Benevolent_Ghaleon »

phyco126 wrote:I'm so sorry, but I found this, and *sniff* I just had to post it in this thread!

http://www.ctrlaltdel-online.com/comic.php?d=20040105
i remember this. pretty lol if you ask me.

LuNaRtIc
Bromide Hunter

Post by LuNaRtIc »

Haha xD
「美しい白い竜 愛しい白い竜…」