Bridge to Teribethia (Lookit me! Spoilers!)

Your general non-gaming entertainment thread.
phyco126
Dragonmaster
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Bridge to Teribethia (Lookit me! Spoilers!)

Post by phyco126 »

Anyone watch it? Like it? Hate it? Meh?

I loved it, at least the first half.

**SPOILERS**

I fought back tears VERY VERY VERY hard the second half. Why the hell did they make the story like that? I expected there to be more happenings with that teacher he had a crush on and his relationship with his father.

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Asmodean
Legendary Hero

Post by Asmodean »

I had read the book years ago! So there were really no surprises.

I will also say that I think they did a fairly good job on the whole thing. They changed around various things and what not. I did miss one part that of the book that I wish had been in the movie.

And that part of the movie was called "The Perfect Day" in the book. I didn't really fight any tears for the movie, but I bawled when I read the book. It's actually a different part that made me cry in the book.

Overall, I liked it. And I plan on buyin' it when comes out on DVD.
ImageImageImage

RPGMan
Red Dragon Priest

Post by RPGMan »

Dame here Phyco, it was really hard. I really liked it, well besides that part, but that made it good too, because in most movies besides horror and big action fliks they don't do that. My only dissapointment I would say is they didn't do a lot with Terabithia, just near the end they actually went there. But overall it was a great movie to me.

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Well I gound out from some research that it was a book.

*SPOILERS*

I did however expect there to be more on their magical land, some developement in Jess's relationship with his dad and perhapes family overall (which there was some with his little sister.) I was trying to figure out the part of the teacher however, the whole meseum kind of gave a pedophillac taste in my mouth, and I was beginning to wonder if the teacher was gonna try to do something.

All that was of course up until we found out that she died. Grrrr. Heck, even in the first half I was like "Gonna have to buy this movie :D" and then after I was like "I can't buy this movie, it's do fricken sad!!!!!"

RPGMan
Red Dragon Priest

Post by RPGMan »

Yeah, it was sad.. Well if you look at the societies of when the movie was supposed to take place, like 20-30 years ago maybe. It was more accetpable for an adult to have a relationship with a kid. But nonetheless, it did seem like she was gonna try something in the car :P Yeah, they kinda crammed all the relationship building for Jess and (Oh god I forgto her name :shock: ) the girl, Jess and his sister and Jess and the bully girl. I thought it was pretty cool that she punched the retard in the face, I almost yelled YES! in the theatre =p Well it was a great movie nonetheless, the only improvemenets i see that it could have is that it could be longer, than they could fit the rest of it in.

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

RPGMan wrote:I thought it was pretty cool that she punched the retard in the face, I almost yelled YES!
Everyone laughed and cheered in that scene =D.

Seriously, the entire car scene with the teacher I kept telling my friend "She's gonna rape him! She's gonna kiss him! She's gonna touch him! She's gonna do SOMETHING!" Never happened. I guess I watch the news too much about teachers screwing their students, lol.

Still, her expresion on her face kept telling me that she was a pedo. I guess I read into it too much. Oh well.

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

I certainly got the vibe that the music teacher's indulgence wasn't common.

But once I got past that, I just felt like she was being really nice. It just took a leap of trust that we're reluctant to accept today.

As for the death... I'd never read the book, so it was a surprise. And painful too because Leslie is such a likable character, especially in her friendship with Jesse. It shifted the focus of the movie to dealing with death and finally reconciling with his little sister, but that's fine with me. Death is sudden, and he went through all kinds of confusion (Why did she die?) and guilt (Why didn't I invite her along?) and pain (I wish she were here!) among other emotions.

I teared up some when Leslie died, but I cried when he showed the bridge he built for his sister. Leslie and Jesse built Terabithia, and he grew enough to build it for another.
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

RPGMan
Red Dragon Priest

Post by RPGMan »

Yeah that was really cool. I haven't read the book though, i may have to do that. The death came as a bit of a surprise to me. but what was funny in the early stages of the movie I was like, "I am gonna laugh if she dies" (laugh at the irony, not the apathetic type of laugh fyi:P)
Success is measured not by the number of trials you overcome, but the difference you can make with what you have learned from them.~rpgman~
A single rose cna be my garde, a single friend my world ~I dunno~

AnimeJei
Red Dragon Priest

Post by AnimeJei »

ahh... such a depressing movie!.. But great movie!! I didn't read the book and I take my 6 year old nephew to see it and then that! I am a guy that cries at movies or comes close to it ><
Image"Sample my goods!!"