Fido

Your general non-gaming entertainment thread.
Agawa
Black Dragon Wizard
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Fido

Post by Agawa »

There are a lot of zombie movies out there. Now, I must admit - I'm a huge fan of zombies. More so in video games, but hey, I can't object to a good old zombie flick every now and again. So I went to see Fido, with little expectations other than a hopefully half decent 2 hours of zombie mayhem.

...What I got, however, was one of the funniest, best done movies I've seen in ages. Fido's hilarious, original, and had me enjoying every single minute I was in that theatre. Not only that, but I actually want to go again. This is saying a lot for someone who visits the theatre perhaps five times a year. Either way, it's a fantastic movie, and judging from the ten or so people who were attending only a week after opening, one that's not getting nearly enough word of mouth.

So if you like a good time, zombies, 50's sitcoms, laughing, or any of those good things? I highly, highly recommend this movie.

Movie websites:
http://fidothemovie.com/
http://www.zomcon.com/ (fictional company featured in it)

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Re: Fido

Post by Werefrog »

Agawa wrote: So if you like a good time, zombies, 50's sitcoms, laughing, or any of those good things? I highly, highly recommend this movie.
Does that include if I enjoy making fun of over-rated 50s sitcoms where half the jokes could be summed up as, "Boy, that immigrant sure does talk funny."?

I did like The Honeymooners though... and the Flintstones...

ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero

Post by ilovemyguitar »

Werefrog wrote:
Agawa wrote: So if you like a good time, zombies, 50's sitcoms, laughing, or any of those good things? I highly, highly recommend this movie.
Does that include if I enjoy making fun of over-rated 50s sitcoms where half the jokes could be summed up as, "Boy, that immigrant sure does talk funny."?

I did like The Honeymooners though... and the Flintstones...
I Love Lucy is probably my favorite TV show of all time. Just figured I'd share. :P

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

ilovemyguitar wrote:
I Love Lucy is probably my favorite TV show of all time. Just figured I'd share. :P
I knew that it would be somebody here's favorite. It's a lot of people's favorite sitcom. And I know it was really ground-breaking for its time. I just can't watch it. I used to think it was because it was in black and white, but I learned a couple of years ago that I love The Honeymooners. I think it's just that my parents told me for years that it was the greatest thing ever, and when I watched, it didn't live up to expectations. Maybe if I tried watching it again, I I would have a different reaction.

On a side note, through some ancient tribal connection I'm related to Lucille Ball. She could trace her lineage back to George Washington as well as my family (supposedly) can. (I have an aunt that spends a lot of time doing genealogical research as a hobby.)

ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero

Post by ilovemyguitar »

Werefrog wrote:
ilovemyguitar wrote:
I knew that it would be somebody here's favorite. It's a lot of people's favorite sitcom. And I know it was really ground-breaking for its time. I just can't watch it. I used to think it was because it was in black and white, but I learned a couple of years ago that I love The Honeymooners. I think it's just that my parents told me for years that it was the greatest thing ever, and when I watched, it didn't live up to expectations. Maybe if I tried watching it again, I I would have a different reaction.
You may have a point with the raised expectations. I never really had anybody telling me about the greatness of Lucille Ball until after I'd already discovered I Love Lucy reruns on Nick at Nite.

I must confess, I've never watched much of The Honeymooners, so I don't know much of how the comedic style of that show was and how it compares to I Love Lucy. But I do know that "I Love Lucy" had a very specific type of humor; there's usually some sort of a farce set-up, and there's loads of raillery between the two protagonist couples, and if that's not your cup of tea there's really no way around that. But that said, if you haven't seen it since childhood, I suggest giving it a try again.

Or, if you want to see Lucille Ball's greatness in movie form, check out "Yours, Mine, and Ours." It's one of my favorite Lucille Ball movies.

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

Have you ever seen The Flintstones? Well... The Honeymooners is The Flintstones without the prehistoric motif.