So, what's with all the Metal topics?

Your general non-gaming entertainment thread.
ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

So, what's with all the Metal topics?

Post by ilovemyguitar »

And I don't mean that in a disparaging way. I've never been into Metal myself, but there seems to be an oddly large amount Metal fans on this board. I never would have thought that something like Lunar would draw out Metal fans in particular.

What sort of other kinds of music do the people on here like? I like more indie-ish rock stuff. Sufjan Stevens, Elliot Smith, Damien Rice, stuff along those lines. And I'm a big fan of Yeah Yeah Yeahs. And some older pre-punk stuff like Iggy Pop and whatnot.

DragonmasterAndy
Red Dragon Priest

Post by DragonmasterAndy »

Well..part of it for me is people's misconception of Metal. That it's all just noise, and growling and things like that...
THAT bothers me.

Plus, I just love my Metal. I also like other forms of music too though. Sdome of my favorite artists are Joe Satriani, Eric Johnson, Tony MacAlpine, Marty Friedman...so on. I also like Robben Ford.

ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero

Post by ilovemyguitar »

Well, that's cool and all. I'm not saying people shouldn't talk about Metal or anything silly like that. It's just sorta odd that the music section of a Lunar board would be so heavily dominated by Metal fans. If any genres popped out as being most popular here I would have guessed that it would probably be video game soundtracks and symphonic music, or possibly even J-Pop.

Again, I'm not sayin it's bad. It's just unexpected.

exigence
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by exigence »

well since i hate most punk (the exception being social D) im naturally drawn to its oposite metal, also metal has so many subgenres we could keep posting new topics about it for awhile

anyways to start somthing new im mostly into progressive types of music like rush, king crimson, gentle giant, pink floyd, jethro tull, yes, emerson lake and palmer, and van der graaf generator

i like quite a few indie and alternative artists too like Beck, the strokes, black lab, eels, hard-fi, and the black keys

DragonmasterAndy
Red Dragon Priest

Oh, don't get me wrong. I didn't think you were saying that at all. :lol:
I was just giving a few of my personal reasons for talking about it.

Megalodon
Student of Vane

Post by Megalodon »

exigence wrote: anyways to start somthing new im mostly into progressive types of music like rush, king crimson, gentle giant, pink floyd, jethro tull, yes, emerson lake and palmer, and van der graaf generator
Have you heard Mastodon? If so what did you think? I have heard the drummer often refered to as Neal Pert on steroids.(don't know if I got the name right I am not familiar with Rush) I believe there best album to be Leviathan. Most that listen to Death Metal such as myself like Remission the best but...

DragonmasterAndy
Red Dragon Priest

I've never really heard of a lot of DM fans liking Mastodon.

exigence
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by exigence »

ya i have remission and levathan the drummers good but replacing neil peart is just about impossible i doubt anyone will ever do it, thats like trying to replace DaVicci's genius

Megalodon
Student of Vane

Post by Megalodon »

DragonmasterAndy wrote:I've never really heard of a lot of DM fans liking Mastodon.
There probably isn't a whole lot but the ones I do talk to think everything after Remission sucks. Another one of those "you sold out" situations.

exigence
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by exigence »

Megalodon wrote:
DragonmasterAndy wrote:I've never really heard of a lot of DM fans liking Mastodon.
There probably isn't a whole lot but the ones I do talk to think everything after Remission sucks. Another one of those "you sold out" situations.
im not sure of when livathan came out it does have a diffrent feel to it but i still think its pretty good

Megalodon
Student of Vane

Post by Megalodon »

exigence wrote:ya i have remission and levathan the drummers good but replacing neil peart is just about impossible i doubt anyone will ever do it, thats like trying to replace DaVicci's genius
I think the biggest draw for the drummer is how different he is in that genre. He really stands out. I remember when he was in Today Is The Day I heard Sadness Will Prevail on the Relapse Contaminated CD. I think it was a demo it wasn't off the actual Sadness will Prevail album that was released after he was gone. I just remember listening to it and the guitars were playing and it was like he was just going nuts doing his own thing but yet it still fit the song.

exigence
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by exigence »

funny wasnt this started to throw some new genres into the mix

Does anyone else here listen to Beck

Megalodon
Student of Vane

Post by Megalodon »

exigence wrote:funny wasnt this started to throw some new genres into the mix

Does anyone else here listen to Beck
I thought Mastodon was different. Not trying to tread on your genre party.

exigence
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by exigence »

well its a diffrent style of metal but i dont think thats what ilovemyguitar had in mind (by the way where is he i think we scared him off)

ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero

Post by ilovemyguitar »

Umm... yeah, I like Beck! And I'm glad his newer music isn't all commercialized, when at this point he could have easily gone down that route and become a big ol' sell-out. *coughweezercough*

And what about Yeah Yeah Yeahs? They're definately one of my favorite bands. Are there any other fans around here?

exigence
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by exigence »

iv never listend to them but ya becks amazing especily his idea to let you create your own album cover

Ozone
Dragonmaster

Post by Ozone »

I know tons of DM fans who love Mastodon. Mastodon is just friggin' brilliant like that.

I think a lot of the metal explosion is really due to the recent re-popularization and revitalization of it on some level. This past year has seen releases from Lamb of God, Shadows Fall, Trivium, Blind Guardian, Killswitch Engage, Amon Amarth, In Flames, All That Remains, etc. and the shocking part is that audiences are eating this stuff up. People have started to get sick of Nu-Metal and will therefore seek other musical genres, most of these people end up prog or metal, or both. The thing is that the metal genre is just getting to the threshold of its potential. If this doesn't get gobbled up by the corporations too fast and become more post hardcore, metal will be a power to be reckoned with again. It's only a matter of time before the heavier variations of metal become popular as well (Black Metal, REAL Death Metal). I mean, Mastodon has gained massive acclaim with Blood Mountain this year(and The Black Dahlia Murder got massive acclaim in the previous year), so much so that I've been seeing their music discussed in Indie forums (go figure), so, I wouldn't be shocked if this was just a small push, so, I'm waiting for the massive wave.
"'There are no atheists in foxholes' isn't an argument against atheism, it's an argument against foxholes." - James Morrow
"I'll hit your head with the thunder clap, you're seeing Horus"

Faust
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Faust »

ilovemyguitar wrote:If any genres popped out as being most popular here I would have guessed that it would probably be video game soundtracksand symphonic music, or possibly even J-Pop.
Hello. I'm into metal and VGM too...^_^

What are your favourites dude?

Ozone
Dragonmaster

Post by Ozone »

Gotta go for the Chrono Cross OST and the Creid CD from Xenogears for videogame OSTs.
"'There are no atheists in foxholes' isn't an argument against atheism, it's an argument against foxholes." - James Morrow
"I'll hit your head with the thunder clap, you're seeing Horus"

Faust
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Faust »

Ozone wrote:Gotta go for the Chrono Cross OST and the Creid CD from Xenogears for videogame OSTs.
Chrono Cross made of pure win and awesomeness definitely. Almost every single track is excellent. From Time's Scar to Radical Dreamers. This and Legend of Mana OST got me into VGM.

Question.

What is the Creid CD from Xenogears? I have heard some good things about it. Is it a special arrange album of Xenogears or something? Always been wanting to find out more about it, but inevitably it always slipped my mind...^_^

Is it better than the original OST of Xenogears? I only remembered a few memorable tracks from that awesome game...^_^

On Topic : Yes I find it totally weird that metal topics are sort of dominating here on a classic RPG forum. Goes to show that all Lunar fans comes in various flavours and shapes...^_^