Your general non-gaming entertainment thread.
Fortifying Conditioner
Nanza Bandit
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80
Location: My Body: Tennessee, My Mind: Someplace not work safe.

Post by Fortifying Conditioner »

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this yet but has anyone seen the trailer for the movie 300?

For those of you (probably around three people) that don't know the movie is based off Frank Miller's graphic novel of the same name and deals with the Spartan's stand against the invading Persian army.

It looks...interesting. I've watched the trailer like 20 times and I find myself liking it more and more. I have a strong feeling that if you liked Sin City you'll likewise enjoy this movie.

Check it out for yourselves and draw your own conclusions.
http://www.apple.com/trailers/wb/300/trailer1/large.html
Fortifies and Conditions!

Grey Fox
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Grey Fox »

I watched it last night for my birthday and I have to say it was a very enjoyable movie. Not the most historically accurate but kept to the whole mythological sort of story telling. Usually I'm not one for such movies where it almost requires you to shut your brain down and enjoy it, but I felt no such feelings towards this film.

The visual art is spectacular. Lighting, camera work, special effects, all of it is spectacular. It's well worth the price of a movie ticket to go see this movie.

Cause this isn't madness...THIS IS SPARTA
No ma'am...no your computer isn't broken, you are...

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

I can't wait for the chance to see this movie. Perhapes I can blackmail my dad to coming down early one day to take me to see the movie XD XD XD.

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Ozone
Dragonmaster

Post by Ozone »

300 was a good movie, I enjoyed it. I probably won't see it again while it's in theatres though. The cinematography, and action sequences were amazing, the rest, kinda meh, but then again, this isn't something that's meant to win an award for 'best actor.' So, if you want blood and battle, it's definitely your movie. I didn't wonder what time it was once, but I did crack a joke about "Peanut Butter Jelly Time" and another one about Xerxes looking like Ru Paul (sp?). Entertaining stuff, just don't expect Braveheart or Lord of the Rings.
"'There are no atheists in foxholes' isn't an argument against atheism, it's an argument against foxholes." - James Morrow
"I'll hit your head with the thunder clap, you're seeing Horus"

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

I saw it last night too, and I'm with Ozone. This sums it up:
Entertaining stuff, just don't expect Braveheart or Lord of the Rings.
-G1

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

Speaking of epic movies, 300 referenced/ripped-off so many other movies through it's visuals it was ridiculous. My friends and I had a good laugh throughout the movie but as for substance it was definitely lacking.

And why exactly do you think Xerxes always wanted someone bowing down to his waist? You know he wanted a little somethin-somethin. A friend of mine referred to him as Ru Paul as well and I saw a touch of Grace Jones.

Grey Fox
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Grey Fox »

Silver Phoenix wrote:Speaking of epic movies, 300 referenced/ripped-off so many other movies through it's visuals it was ridiculous. My friends and I had a good laugh throughout the movie but as for substance it was definitely lacking.
The same could be said of several thousand films though. When it comes to film making/writing, someone steals from another no matter what. There's never originality, only inspiration to make an old concept new.

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

One man's art is another man's masterpiece, yes it's the mainstay of hollywood film making. However, there are some glaringly obvious rip-offs from other blockbuster films of recent times so I don't think the claim of "like nothing you've ever seen before" really holds water concerning 300.

Grey Fox
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Grey Fox »

Very true, but it was none the less entertaining regardless of the ridiculous nature. Personally, I usually don't care for such movies, but I do find the exceptions if they at least keep the action rolling.

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

I'll have to watch the movie again when it's released on dvd because we were so close to the screen that I started seeing double and was dizzy. I had to close my eyes through the latter portion of the movie before I went blind. I hate when the theater is so damn packed that you're stuck right in the front.

The screen was very wide so it was impossible to absorb everything onscreen from where my friends and I sat. Xerxes' crotch was right in my face, he's a big whore.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

We had the same problem. My brother and his friend were late, so we got stuck not only sitting in the second row, but clear off to the side of the theatre. On top of that, some retarded parents brought their 2-4 year old kids with them who kept talking the entire way through and ramming into the back of our seats. I'm not sure why you'd take kids that young to a movie that violent to begin with. Though it was hilarious hearing the kid go "Why's that lady naked and moaning mommy?" during the one scene. :P
-G1

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

GhaleonOne wrote: On top of that, some retarded parents brought their 2-4 year old kids with them who kept talking the entire way through and ramming into the back of our seats. I'm not sure why you'd take kids that young to a movie that violent to begin with.
Dude... we totally took my niece to the movies when she was only a month old... her first movie was The Omen :P. Beat that.

Grey Fox
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Grey Fox »

I think that was the deal breaker for us. We got there just in time and had the entire back row to ourselves. No Xerxes crotch, no kids around us. It was heaven.

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

Honestly I think the movie would have been more viewable from the side than where we were. It felt like vertigo. I can't stand loud ass people or annoying brats when I'm paying to see a movie and not listen to their dialogue. This isn't Mystery Science Theater 3000 and at least some of that commentary is funny.

There was a decent amount of nipple in that movie, and we're talking poke you in the eye hard nipples especially with that Oracle chick who was writhing like an electric eel. Those fugly cursed cloaked guys all looked like Emperor Palpatine with a desperate need for a dermatologist.

Agawa
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Agawa »

GhaleonOne wrote:We had the same problem. My brother and his friend were late, so we got stuck not only sitting in the second row, but clear off to the side of the theatre. On top of that, some retarded parents brought their 2-4 year old kids with them who kept talking the entire way through and ramming into the back of our seats. I'm not sure why you'd take kids that young to a movie that violent to begin with. Though it was hilarious hearing the kid go "Why's that lady naked and moaning mommy?" during the one scene. :P
Uh....how did they get tickets for movie like that in the first place? I don't know what it's rated, but I'd assume nothing under 14+...

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Anyone can get into a movie with their parents permission.
-G1

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

Or a fake I.D. :P

When I was 17 I went to see one of the Scream movies with some friends and the ticketer was an older woman who gave me a hell of a time because I wasn't 18. Eventually I got in because my friend's mother was there dropping us off and she gave permission. That was the first and last time I ever had a problem.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

These kids were like 4 years old though. Hard to fake an ID for that age. :P
-G1

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

You sure they weren't elfs G1? They live for many years and look very young. :P

I never had any trouble getting into a movie theater, though I did have to show my ID once to buy a movie from wal-mart (that was so funny too)

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

I finally saw it! I gotta say, I really enjoyed it. It was a very fun movie. There was plenty of blood, beheadings, and violence, just like I wanted. Lots of nipples, but a lot less manbutt than I expected. Could've used more of that. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)