Late 80s horror movie

Your general non-gaming entertainment thread.
Pisces
Threadkiller
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Late 80s horror movie

Post by Pisces »

I recently ordered one of my favorite Halloween-time movies. "Pumpkinhead"

It stars Lance Henrikson (Bishop from the "Alien" movies".)

It isn't really a GREAT movie, for the fact that it falls into hokeyness at points due to too many soundtrack stingers and the fact that once they start showing the creature too much, you can tell it's a guy in a latex suit.

However, as far as atmosphere and a unique story go, it's actually quite good.

I almost wish they would have done this movie to make it A) a bit longer, to develop the story a little further, and B) to show less of the creature. The creature is actually pretty frightening when they show vague shots of it in the moonlight, etc.

But I first saw it when I was 8, and it scared the crap outta me - huge skeletal/alien-looking demonic creature that slaughters people who've done wrong. It kept showing up in my dreams, etc., so this movie kind of stuck with me.

It has a cult following, b/c it's one of those "hit or miss" movies. People either are intrigued by the atmosphere (the whole backwoods folklore thing) and the story (which has a deeper level and is quite tragic, almost sort of a "morality horror"), or else they just completely think the movie's ridiculous.

Anyone else seen this one?

And if you have, I am referring to the FIRST movie. (The second one had no redeemining qualities whatsoever, they just wanted to use Stan Winston's demonic creation to slaughter teenagers and make money.)
"Let man's petty nations tear themselves apart; my land's only borders lie around my heart."

-Tim Rice, from the song "Anthem" in the musical Chess

Megalodon
Student of Vane

Post by Megalodon »

I too fist saw this movie when I was younger. Probably more like 11 not 8 but still pretty young.I picked it up used at a local Music/CD/DVD/Video Game store about a year ago. After watching it for only the second time in my life and about 12+ years after originally seeing it I can say I still liked it but it didn't have the same effect on me as the first time. I think I have just been spoiled by todays special effects and what not. Still a good movie though and definitley worth watching.

ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero

Re: Late 80s horror movie

Post by ilovemyguitar »

Pisces wrote:they just wanted to use Stan Winston's demonic creation to slaughter teenagers and make money.
Step one: Slaughter teenagers.

Step two: ??????

Step three: PROFIT!

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

I saw the SciFi Channel advertising a Pumpkinhead movie they made recently. I don't know if it was shown last week or not but you may want to check.

Pisces
Threadkiller

Post by Pisces »

Yeah, I caught some of it. Still didn't capture the atmosphere the original did.
"Let man's petty nations tear themselves apart; my land's only borders lie around my heart."

-Tim Rice, from the song "Anthem" in the musical Chess

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Pisces wrote:Yeah, I caught some of it. Still didn't capture the atmosphere the original did.
It seemed like the cheesy end of SciFi's movies.

Their movies have always been a little... lacking. Their television shows, on the other hand...

...well, Battlestar is on in less than an hour. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

You know I still haven't watched Battlestar Galactica and my friends are infatuated with it. I borrowed the first two seasons from my friend so I'll have to start cracking. If you haven't seen FarScape it's one of Sci-Fi's best.

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

Sci-Fi shouldn't be allowed to make movies. I could be wrong, but I've always perceived their original programming as taking themselves super seriously. They should just embrace how cheesy the movies are and parody themselves.

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

The thing is, Sci-Fi's movies have tended to be cheesy and not very good...

Sci-Fi's original series on the other hand have been ridiculously amazing.

Battlestar Galactica
Stargate SG-1
Stargate Atlantis
Farscape

BS:G is something that goes beyond just Sci-Fi fans, too. It's something anyone can enjoy and get wrapped up in. And, by far, it's the best thing on television (Heroes comes a close second, but that's on NBC). KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Grey Fox
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Grey Fox »

Werefrog wrote:Sci-Fi shouldn't be allowed to make movies. I could be wrong, but I've always perceived their original programming as taking themselves super seriously. They should just embrace how cheesy the movies are and parody themselves.
Just look at Shaun of the Dead, cheesy but also full of pure win.
No ma'am...no your computer isn't broken, you are...

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

Grey Fox wrote:
Werefrog wrote:Sci-Fi shouldn't be allowed to make movies. I could be wrong, but I've always perceived their original programming as taking themselves super seriously. They should just embrace how cheesy the movies are and parody themselves.
Just look at Shaun of the Dead, cheesy but also full of pure win.
Definitely... Though, if you liked Shaun of the Dead, then Khun Krabii (aka SARS Wars) is also really good. Although far more ridiculous and over the top (to the point where some folks don't like it).

A: This is the most ridiculous part of the movie!
B: But you watched it this far!
A&B: Heeyyyyyyyy!!!!

Yeah, like I said, ridiculous. Ridiculously funny.

EDIT: Check the IMDB description:
The fourth generation of the virus SARS is found in Africa! It's more dangerous and causes the patients to transform into bloodthirsty zombies. The virus quickly lands to Thailand, Dr. Bryan Thompson (Andrew Biggs) who creates the anti-virus, ends up getting infected while doing his experiment and soon the virus is spreading to all the residents of his same building. At that time, Khun (Supakorn Kitsuwan) is trying to help a young girl who's being kidnapped in the building.....He ends up trapped in the building with only his precious sword as a weapon. Surrounded by the zombies, he has to find the girl and escape from the building before the government drops a bomb to destroy the virus and the building.
There is no part of that I didn't like. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)