The Black Dahlia

Your general non-gaming entertainment thread.
Pisces
Threadkiller
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

The Black Dahlia

Post by Pisces »

I'm very excited about this movie.

For those who knew her, this was one of Coley's favorite books, and she had me read it.

The ending is very riveting. And this story is fictional, but it's based off a real murder that happened in California which caused the largest manhunt in the state's history.

Coley always talked about how she wanted to make this book into a movie, so I'm glad that at least someone did.

The case was very gruesome, though. I won't spoil any details, but if anyone knows a certain detail about the victim's "smile", it was reminiscent of a character in a book by Victor Hugo, "The Man Who Laughed".
"Let man's petty nations tear themselves apart; my land's only borders lie around my heart."

-Tim Rice, from the song "Anthem" in the musical Chess

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Although I may not see the movie, I am intrested in it. I remember watching a show a while back about the case and the actresses. Kinda sad if you ask me, that such things happen to anyone really.

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Hm... while I can see how the book off of which it was based was likely very good, I think it really lagged in the transition to a movie. I'm not much for film noir, and even if I was, a lot of the movie seemed too... rambling. It was like the Dahlia murder case was a side-story that fed into the main plot, which itself was rather melodramatic. I'm sure the book was quite fascinating, but I got bored watching the movie for it... KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Pisces
Threadkiller

Post by Pisces »

Okay....well, we went to go see it, but then a tornado warning hit our area 3/4 of the way through the movie and they had to stop all movies and gather people in bathrooms, inner staff rooms, etc...

So now I have to go back some time (they gave us free passes at least) and finish watching the movie. :x

Anyway, I actually really was enjoying it, and not just b/c I liked the book (there were a lot of differences from the book). But I loved the film noir style. And yes, the murder case is a DETAIL in the story, but at the same time it's not. The story is about the relationships of these characters who are CONNECTED to the murder case.

But I loved the style and the acting all the way around. I especially loved Hillary Swank as Madeleine (who was my favorite character in the book).

And Fiona Shaw was wonderful in the dinner party scene as Madeleine's mother.

But thematically (even if it's not fully present in the concrete plot), the Dahlia case IS the heart of the story. The problem most people have with it is that it's the heart, but UNDERNEATH the action. There's an inner story to the plot that is about more than just the murder mystery, and so that's why all the other stuff is going on.

I definitely thought the most intriguing scenes, though, were the videotapes of Elizabeth Short's (played beautifully by Mia Kershner) audition tapes, where Bucky is watching them. There was something very haunting about him seeing this girl as a living person, before she was killed.

But ARGH! I want to see the rest!!!

....and what the...?! ::blink, blink::

Kiz, did you change my title to Threadkiller? I just NOW noticed that.
"Let man's petty nations tear themselves apart; my land's only borders lie around my heart."

-Tim Rice, from the song "Anthem" in the musical Chess

Scorpioeyez
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Scorpioeyez »

I doubt I'll go and see the movie but I do remember seeing the trailer and becoming intrigued enough to look up the case to find out what happened. So sad that this one will never be solved.
~ Webmaster of OtakuReview ~

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Pisces wrote:....and what the...?! ::blink, blink::
Kiz, did you change my title to Threadkiller? I just NOW noticed that.

Yar! Why ye be blamin' me?
Ya grog-swillin' scurvy-toothed bilge rat! KF
~Kizyr (they|them)